Is powerscore tutoring worth it?

JKrolRU

Is powerscore tutoring worth it?

Postby JKrolRU » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:22 pm

Thinking about hiring a powerscore tutor, for a few sessions is it worth it? Any advice or is it a waste of $600 for five hours

magickware

Re: Is powerscore tutoring worth it?

Postby magickware » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Imo, tutors are worth it if-

1) They actually have a lot of experiencing teaching and have great in-depth knowledge about the LSAT. Many LSAT tutors seemingly know what they're talking about, but they can't seem to actually tell you objectively why X is wrong and Y is right.

2) You actually know what you need help on. Tutors will be pointless if you don't have a solid sense of your weaknesses and have spent a good amount of time studying on your own. I mean, the tutor will just be teaching you the foundations otherwise, and foundations you can learn fairly easily on your own.

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:56 pm

I did a powerscore tutor. I agree with what jkrol said, if you do a tutor make sure you are straightforward about where exactly you need help. I found my sessions to be really helpful because I knew was god awful at RC and LR, so working with the tutor helped me to communicate the arguments out loud, and going through that process has really helped me on LR and RC (I feel like I read the stimulus as an argument that I need to understand all the pieces of instead of as pieces of facts that i need to be inferring from, which has changed everything), and a lot of that was just because I worked with a tutor to get myself on the right path. I only did 5 hours of it but it was enough to steer me in the right direction.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:17 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:I did a powerscore tutor. I agree with what jkrol said, if you do a tutor make sure you are straightforward about where exactly you need help. I found my sessions to be really helpful because I knew was god awful at RC and LR, so working with the tutor helped me to communicate the arguments out loud, and going through that process has really helped me on LR and RC (I feel like I read the stimulus as an argument that I need to understand all the pieces of instead of as pieces of facts that i need to be inferring from, which has changed everything), and a lot of that was just because I worked with a tutor to get myself on the right path. I only did 5 hours of it but it was enough to steer me in the right direction.

A good tutor can also watch you do questions/passage/logic games and tell you what you're doing wrong - I do this for almost all my tutoring students, and what they think is the issue is very rarely the issue (or they're so generic with their belief that it's not helpful).

As others have said, the tutor is more important than the company. Make sure you know with whom you're going to work so you can ensure that they know what they're doing.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”