Role of a Statement

mwhuzain

Role of a Statement

Postby mwhuzain » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:13 pm

Any advice? I'm consistently getting these wrong.

Kimikho

Re: Role of a Statement

Postby Kimikho » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Is this in LR or RC?

mwhuzain

Postby mwhuzain » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:04 pm

scoobers wrote:Is this in LR or RC?

LR

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:14 pm

1) Is it a premise or conclusion?

1p) Go to any "premise" answer choice, substituting the language from the stimulus into the abstract language of the answer choice. If it matches up, you have your answer.

1c) Is it a subsidiary conclusion or a main conclusion (use the "therefore" test - read the two conclusions and add the word "therefore" between them, and whichever way makes sense tells you the main conclusion, as it will come after the "therefore")

1c-sub) Find the answer that says, "It is a premise/conclusion/statement for which proof is offered and in turn supports another statement."
1c-main) Fine the answer that says it's the main point of the argument.

2) Eliminate any answer that says it's an assumption of the argument*.

*Recent LSAT trick - if you have 2 speakers/viewpoints in the stimulus, an answer that mentions an assumption might be correct. A role question will never ask you about an assumption made by the author; it might ask you about an assumption of another argument pointed out by the author.

zen

Postby zen » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:40 pm

Well I used the Powerscore LR book to study for that section and I probably am missing it since I can't find that type of question explicitly in the book. The advice I would give, though, is similar to what bp gave. If you need to, maybe you should diagram the passage out so you can more clearly see the connections between each sentence or clause. Probably good to look into words that clearly denotes something as a conclusion or a premise. Sufficient and necessary conditions as well. Things like that. Sorry I can't be of more help.

zen

Postby zen » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”