Careless LG rule diagramming mistakes and how to avoid them

tigersaresexy

Careless LG rule diagramming mistakes and how to avoid them

Postby tigersaresexy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:09 am

Occasionally, I write an LG rule wrong. I mix up a letter with another (P and R is the biggest culprit), I put one variable before when it should be after, that kind of stuff. It doesn't happen often enough for me to be constantly worried about it, but it does happen.

It always happens during timed sections or practice tests, never when I'm drilling. As such, I keep telling myself to be mindful when I'm diagramming but it tends to fly out the window when the clock is ticking. Usually I go ahead and start making inferences, even answering a few questions before I realize my mistake and waste several minutes correcting everything. It's terrifying and disheartening for the rest of the section.

Has anyone else had this problem, if so, HELP ME!

I'm thinking about diagramming the rules right next to where they're written and then copying them down at the bottom of the page, but I always feel like this is a waste of time.

bobtheblob916

Re: Careless LG rule diagramming mistakes and how to avoid them

Postby bobtheblob916 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:05 am

It's an awful feeling when you've caught yourself diagramming wrong. But it raises an important point - diagramming/drawing inferences in the beginning is the most important part of the LG process.

Truth is, you can't be worrying about time flying out the window. Pay attention to the instances where you've diagrammed wrong. Study them and see if you can anticipate what sort of rules tend to trip you up (like the similar letters that you mentioned).

If you're aware of these potential traps, then you can start double checking the tricky rules. It won't take more than a couple of seconds - a couple of seconds that are worth spending if it'll save you from potentially wasting several minutes and losing your confidence.

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:39 pm

One thing I recommend is that after you are done with your diagram, and before you go into the questions, you take a look at your notation for each rule (try to avoid the inferences you've added), say to yourself what the notation means, then check your understanding against the rule in written form to make sure that what you think your notation means is indeed what the rule originally said.

It's one thing to tell yourself to be mindful, and another thing to build in systems that encourage mindfulness -- I think that as long as they are indeed careless mistakes, the above will definitely help you catch some of them -- and, chances are, whatever time it takes to double check your notations in this way (it'll take just a couple of seconds in real time, though it may feel like more) will more than be made up because, with a slightly more automatic sense of the rules, you'll solve the questions a little bit faster.

HTH -- Mike

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:20 pm

The LSAT Trainer wrote:One thing I recommend is that after you are done with your diagram, and before you go into the questions, you take a look at your notation for each rule (try to avoid the inferences you've added), say to yourself what the notation means, then check your understanding against the rule in written form to make sure that what you think your notation means is indeed what the rule originally said.

+1

This has helped me immensely. I used to be hesitant to check everything over, because I was so worried about time. However, the time you lose by firming up your grasp on rules is a pittance compared to the time you will lose if you notate incorrectly.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:29 pm

The LSAT Trainer wrote:One thing I recommend is that after you are done with your diagram, and before you go into the questions, you take a look at your notation for each rule (try to avoid the inferences you've added), say to yourself what the notation means, then check your understanding against the rule in written form to make sure that what you think your notation means is indeed what the rule originally said.

It's one thing to tell yourself to be mindful, and another thing to build in systems that encourage mindfulness -- I think that as long as they are indeed careless mistakes, the above will definitely help you catch some of them -- and, chances are, whatever time it takes to double check your notations in this way (it'll take just a couple of seconds in real time, though it may feel like more) will more than be made up because, with a slightly more automatic sense of the rules, you'll solve the questions a little bit faster.

HTH -- Mike

This. Always double-check your rules. If you have a tendency to mess things up (like I do), triple check. An extra 15 seconds up front will save you several minutes down the road.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:21 am

Not making sure to always double check your diagrams of the rules against the text before moving forward when working under timed conditions is just sloppy test taking that is almost asking for trouble.

When the score really counts it makes sense to use a little bit of time to be extra careful and would be dumb not to due to how easy it is to make silly mistakes while scribbling away under timed pressure with a bunch of stressed out people around you treating games diagramming like the 100 yard dash. It's the furious diagramming people hear from others in the room along with test day time pressure that helps cause some people to go into hurry mode, skip steps and make careless mistakes.

It's really simple and easy, just do it! every time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”