170 average - how to get those extra points?

jshaffer740

170 average - how to get those extra points?

Postby jshaffer740 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:56 pm

I will be taking the October exam and my goal is a 173+. I am currently averaging 170.3 which consists of three tests from the 50s and two from the 60s. LR accuracy is 93%, RC 87% and LG 86%. My most recent PT was a 171 on PT 61 (-10) which was RC (-3), LR (-3/-1), and LG (-3). I was scoring a total of -1 to -2 on LR prior to entering the 60s, so it may just be a matter of adjusting to the slightly different style of those questions.

My main question is this: what would be the best thing to do to get those last few points? I seem to be stubbornly stuck in the 170/171 range (last 5 tests were those scores). I have improved my RC from a -6 to -3 after adjusting to the slightly more difficult 50/60 RC. Maybe the answer to my question is obvious: get the LG to consistent -0. I have only scored -0 on LG once in the past, and always seem to make one or two stupid errors. It isn't so much an issue of not understanding how to set the game up, I just misread a question, or go to fast on an "easy" game and make a dumb error. So it's possible this may be the area that would be easiest to attempt to improve. Should I be drilling? Or just taking PTs with detailed review at this point?

In any case if there is insight you can provide, it would be greatly appreciated!

meegee

Re: 170 average - how to get those extra points?

Postby meegee » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:21 pm

I can only speak of LG but, for most people (myself included), LG is by far the easiest and quickest area to improve on. Some people say if you're not consistently getting -0, you're not doing good enough.

How have you been studying for LG? If there's a sort of game you're particularly having trouble with, I recommend just focusing on drilling those games. If there doesn't seem to be a specific weak spot, just start drilling games over and over again. Do them in sets of 4. Don't be afraid to re-drill games. It's the process that's important (so don't just be like, "oh hey! I remember #4 is A, on to the next).

Review your games and see how you could have done better. Check 7sage.

Review and see what kind of careless mistake you made, and make note of it. If you notice you're reading too quickly and misreading rules, tell yourself, I'm going to slow down and make sure I understand the rules. I used to make quite a few careless mistakes (I still do), but I found out that once I started mentally noting it, and writing down in my LG log what kinda mistakes I made, and what I was gonna do to rectify it, I started making less of those mistakes.

I just re-read your post and noticed you said you only scored -0 once in the past. That means you need to drill more. And more. And then some more. You should be aiming for -0 (or -1 because of a careless mistake). You should be getting a handful of -0s with some -1s.

jshaffer740

Postby jshaffer740 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:49 pm

meegee wrote:I can only speak of LG but, for most people (myself included), LG is by far the easiest and quickest area to improve on. Some people say if you're not consistently getting -0, you're not doing good enough.

How have you been studying for LG? If there's a sort of game you're particularly having trouble with, I recommend just focusing on drilling those games. If there doesn't seem to be a specific weak spot, just start drilling games over and over again. Do them in sets of 4. Don't be afraid to re-drill games. It's the process that's important (so don't just be like, "oh hey! I remember #4 is A, on to the next).

Review your games and see how you could have done better. Check 7sage.

Review and see what kind of careless mistake you made, and make note of it. If you notice you're reading too quickly and misreading rules, tell yourself, I'm going to slow down and make sure I understand the rules. I used to make quite a few careless mistakes (I still do), but I found out that once I started mentally noting it, and writing down in my LG log what kinda mistakes I made, and what I was gonna do to rectify it, I started making less of those mistakes.

I just re-read your post and noticed you said you only scored -0 once in the past. That means you need to drill more. And more. And then some more. You should be aiming for -0 (or -1 because of a careless mistake). You should be getting a handful of -0s with some -1s.

Thanks - all of that is really helpful.

After making this post I took PT 55 last night (I am alternating between the 60s and the 50s) and beat my all-time top score of 174 (PT 49) with a 177. This was my first time hitting higher than a 171 on a 50/60 PT. It was an overall of -4, with a -0 overall on LR (a first) and -1 on RC (my best in the 50/60s RC). Yet I still went -3 on LG. Obviously I am ecstatic with my score, I just found it funny that even on my best PT performance to-date I still went -3 on LG. Had I done what most people believe is fairly achievable (-0 on LG) I would have scored a 180! This has given me the motivation I need to buckle down and kill the LG section.

Today will be completely devoted to LG review and drill until my fingers bleed.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 pm

How fast do you go on LG? You sound like you might need to slow down if possible--that was my problem for a while, anyway. Faster does not always equal better.

jshaffer740

Postby jshaffer740 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:33 pm

francesfarmer wrote:How fast do you go on LG? You sound like you might need to slow down if possible--that was my problem for a while, anyway. Faster does not always equal better.

I tend to go fairly quickly but still cut it close in terms of finishing the section on time. I always finish, but it is usually around the 34 minute mark. My set-up time seems to be right where it should be, and I typically make the key inferences necessary. I think my weakness in in my efficiency in solving the questions. Some questions really just stump me, and I don't have a good way of solving them without trial and error. This obviously eats up time, which forces me to go faster, and make stupid errors.

Case in point, #18 on PT55 ask for a complete list of those who CANNOT go in slot 3. In my haste, I read that as those who CAN go in the slot, and accordingly chose the incorrect answer choice.

I also tend to spend too much time if I get stuck on an answer. On question #8 in the PT I was confident in my answer, but then spent additional time verifying the others were incorrect when this probably wasn't necessary. So I need to trust myself when I am sure of answer. This often happens to me on "could be true" questions.

Perhaps if I did not waste time in this manner I could slow down on other questions and avoid these dumb errors.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:43 pm

jshaffer740 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:How fast do you go on LG? You sound like you might need to slow down if possible--that was my problem for a while, anyway. Faster does not always equal better.

I tend to go fairly quickly but still cut it close in terms of finishing the section on time. I always finish, but it is usually around the 34 minute mark. My set-up time seems to be right where it should be, and I typically make the key inferences necessary. I think my weakness in in my efficiency in solving the questions. Some questions really just stump me, and I don't have a good way of solving them without trial and error. This obviously eats up time, which forces me to go faster, and make stupid errors.

Case in point, #18 on PT55 ask for a complete list of those who CANNOT go in slot 3. In my haste, I read that as those who CAN go in the slot, and accordingly chose the incorrect answer choice.

I also tend to spend too much time if I get stuck on an answer. On question #8 in the PT I was confident in my answer, but then spent additional time verifying the others were incorrect when this probably wasn't necessary. So I need to trust myself when I am sure of answer. This often happens to me on "could be true" questions.

Perhaps if I did not waste time in this manner I could slow down on other questions and avoid these dumb errors.

Sounds like you just need more drilling to become more comfortable with LG! You'll get there.

jshaffer740

Postby jshaffer740 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:07 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
jshaffer740 wrote:

Sounds like you just need more drilling to become more comfortable with LG! You'll get there.

Thanks for the encouragement! Now off to sneak in some drills at work...

jshaffer740

Postby jshaffer740 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:42 am

Just wanted to post an update. I have been implementing the 7sage "foolproof" method to LG's and wow, what an improvement. I am now much more confident in my ability to score well on the games section. On my most recent PT (PT 60) I went -0, and had enough time to go back and check all of my answers! This would have never happened prior to my work using this method. Because of my improvements in LG's, my last four PT's have been 177, 173, 174, and 177. I'm thrilled with this progress, and just wanted to say "thank you" to the people who responded to this thread with advice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”