Re: RC Categorized by Passage Structure List

Postby cpamom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:39 am

This is great! Thank you so much!

Tag

Mahone Shore

Postby Mahone Shore » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:05 am

scoobers wrote:Thanks :)

SRSLY PEOPLE add to the list. This would have helped me so much the last few months/will help for the inevitable retake.

grateful!!!

SecondWind

Postby SecondWind » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:03 pm

I completed/analyzed PT 33 S2 P3 (Atmospheric CO2) and I think it most closely conforms to This is what people used to believe and now they believe (or should believe) something else: because it has multiple opinions as well as follows the basic line of structure Scoobers describes. I think when Scoobers says "wrong" in her definition, she's saying that the belief is wrong according to the author's opinion, instead of the strict definition of the word.

PT 33 S2 P3 Structure:

¶ 1: Explains how higher CO2 levels increase photosynthetic rates causing more plant growth thus Experts believe the plants will slow the overall increase in CO2
¶ 2: Studies are used to point out the ill effects should photosynthetic rates increase
¶ 3: The author finally shows up and gives his opinion that increased plan growth (consume CO2) would not be able to offset the increase decomposition rates (give off CO2)

Other notes:

I'm going to type these up in an excel file so they are easier to sort and organize (I.e. by test) so we know which ones we have to do still. People who constructively contribute can PM me for it. Ways to constructively contribute are:
1) Categorize a passage correctly and thoroughly explain why you think it should be in that category
2) Refute that a passage should be in a different category or a new category and thoroughly explain why you think it should be there

Lastly, this is my 180 post. In light of this, I'm going to put pressure on myself and call that I will earn a 180 on the October 2014 Administration. No pressure, no diamonds.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:21 am

thank you so much

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:24 am

Wow, this is awesome. Just what i need to improve RC for this retake. Thank you, and i'll try to add to the list.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:19 pm

hey friends.

so I was avoiding commenting on here before I got my score, because i had felt that RC went really poorly. I ended up going -1, which was worse than the last three or four tests, but way better than I expected. i definitely studied by categorizing things and it totally helped :).

JUST THOUGHT EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW.

neprep

Postby neprep » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:59 pm

scoobers wrote:hey friends.

so I was avoiding commenting on here before I got my score, because i had felt that RC went really poorly. I ended up going -1, which was worse than the last three or four tests, but way better than I expected. i definitely studied by categorizing things and it totally helped :).

:D

SecondWind

Postby SecondWind » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:25 pm

neprep wrote:
scoobers wrote:hey friends.

:D

+1

SecondWind

Postby SecondWind » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:32 pm

ADDED

This is what people used to believe and now they believe (or should believe) something else:
- PT 26 S4 P3 S (Dolphin Deaths)

¶ 1: Background of issue
¶ 2: Background for opposing hypothesis
¶ 3: "Wrong" hypothesis that brevetoxin poisoning was the cause of the illness followed by support for "wrong" hypothesis
¶ 4: Author says ¶ 3 hypo is "not entirely plausible" and gives an alternative hypothesis

Additionally: Scoobs any tips you can give us on how you reviewed your RC passages would be greatly appreciated.

retaking23

Postby retaking23 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:53 pm

wtf, why am i just now seeing this. tytyty

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:19 am

Bump for Feb takers.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:05 am

SecondWind wrote:ADDED

This is what people used to believe and now they believe (or should believe) something else:
- PT 26 S4 P3 S (Dolphin Deaths)

¶ 1: Background of issue
¶ 2: Background for opposing hypothesis
¶ 3: "Wrong" hypothesis that brevetoxin poisoning was the cause of the illness followed by support for "wrong" hypothesis
¶ 4: Author says ¶ 3 hypo is "not entirely plausible" and gives an alternative hypothesis

Additionally: Scoobs any tips you can give us on how you reviewed your RC passages would be greatly appreciated.

Just noticed this.

I actually wrote up complete summaries for each passage I had trouble with, and then wrote up explanations for the answers as if I were writing a LSAT guide :oops: . kinda embarrassing, but it seriously helped.

Deleterious

Postby Deleterious » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:19 am

tagging

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”