smoking weed at night during study period

jenjen1234
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:06 pm

smoking weed at night during study period

Postby jenjen1234 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Ok so I know this has been asked before but my situation is a little bit different... I have ADHD and take addy, which helps me study hardcore, but it also messes with my sleep ALOT. Anyways, I am also a pot smoker but not crazy i mean i smoke every day but usually at night... the pot helps me sleep, which is very helpful. What do you guys think about studying all day and then smoking at night just so that I can sleep? I am taking the October exam and I am really worried. I just quit recently, but I cant sleep at night like AT ALL which messes me up during the day because then I am super super tired and then end up not taking my addy and then not studying... will it affect my LSAT abilities that badly? or would it be stupid to quit this late in the game? I do not study high... I just smoke when i finish studying for the day... will it affect me badly?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby Nova » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:16 pm

I think it is in your best interest to sleep well at night

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby gaud » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:18 pm

What if you get. . .

















paranoid.

jenjen1234
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby jenjen1234 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:21 pm

gaud wrote:What if you get. . .

















paranoid.


it doesnt make me paranoid it just calms me down and puts me to sleep :)

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby midwest17 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:41 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_and_memory

Maybe you would be better off talking to whomever prescribed you the adderall about your sleep problems, and finding a different solution?

At the end of the day, asking on a forum for what's essentially medical advice is never the best plan.

jenjen1234
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby jenjen1234 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:55 pm

midwest17 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_and_memory

Maybe you would be better off talking to whomever prescribed you the adderall about your sleep problems, and finding a different solution?

At the end of the day, asking on a forum for what's essentially medical advice is never the best plan.


Well I have talked to my doctor many times about it, but that is just one of the side affects of the adderall there is really nothing he can do and I already take a relatively low dose anything less and it wouldn't affect me at all. In my undergrad I used to smoke during finals and that needed more memory than the LSAT does. In my opinion the LSAT is not about memory, but about ability to understand and comprehend. I used to write papers while high and it had no negative affect on me, to my knowledge at least.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22806
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Also, for the forum's sake, please at least pretend to be in a state that allows recreational/medical marijuana use... because no one here would ever advise anyone to violate state or federal drug laws.

jenjen1234
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby jenjen1234 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Also, for the forum's sake, please at least pretend to be in a state that allows recreational/medical marijuana use... because no one here would ever advise anyone to violate state or federal drug laws.



I actually am! sorry though!

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22806
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:12 pm

:lol: good! thanks!

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby midwest17 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:24 pm

jenjen1234 wrote:Well I have talked to my doctor many times about it, but that is just one of the side affects of the adderall there is really nothing he can do and I already take a relatively low dose anything less and it wouldn't affect me at all. In my undergrad I used to smoke during finals and that needed more memory than the LSAT does. In my opinion the LSAT is not about memory, but about ability to understand and comprehend. I used to write papers while high and it had no negative affect on me, to my knowledge at least.


I'd say that LSAT *studying* is at least partially about memory -- learning what kinds of questions you get wrong, strategies to get them right, etc.

But again, I'm not an expert. Since you're in a state where marijuana use is legal (and probably even if you weren't), you should have no issues going to your doctor and saying "I have this really important test in a month. Is using marijuana to regulate my sleep the healthiest option for me, or should I do something else?" The doc would be in a better position to answer that, and weigh other options (like maybe a prescription sleep aid?) than anyone on here. Unless we have some lurking doctors?

By the way: I'd be cautious about extrapolating from past experience in the way you are. Since we're talking about relative impairment here, it's hard to know whether your marijuana use actually impacted your finals or papers, since you don't have a control group.

And to clarify, I'm not trying to convince you that marijuana is evil, or that you shouldn't be doing it. I'm definitely on board with the idea that marijuana has fewer negative health effects than, say, alcohol. But some of the negative effects is does have are relevant to an important test you're about to take, and it's worth discussing that with a professional.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby Jeffort » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Regardless of whether it is a prescription medication, a street drug, supplement, diet, energy drinks, caffeine, etc., the general rule is that you shouldn't make any radical changes to your normal lifestyle routine with consumables that have brain and/or physical effects shortly before the test since it throws your system out of whack and hurts LSAT performance.

Do what you think is best for you with that advice. Good luck.

PS: Impaired sleep is a bad thing and will for sure hurt your LSAT score, you gotta get good sleep somehow. How you do it is up to you, but you need to determine a way.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby dowu » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:05 am

Toke it up OP. I would stop smoking about 1-2 weeks before the test, doh.

:mrgreen:


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Sinatra
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby Sinatra » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:10 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Also, for the forum's sake, please at least pretend to be in a state that allows recreational/medical marijuana use... because no one here would ever advise anyone to violate state or federal drug laws.

twist: he lives in CO

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby dowu » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:12 am

Sinatra wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Also, for the forum's sake, please at least pretend to be in a state that allows recreational/medical marijuana use... because no one here would ever advise anyone to violate state or federal drug laws.

twist: he lives in CO

How is that a twist if he already told us he was from a state where it has been decriminalized?

Twist: Federally, it's still illegal.

User avatar
Sinatra
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby Sinatra » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:14 am

dowu wrote:
Sinatra wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Also, for the forum's sake, please at least pretend to be in a state that allows recreational/medical marijuana use... because no one here would ever advise anyone to violate state or federal drug laws.

twist: he lives in CO

How is that a twist if he already told us he was from a state where it has been decriminalized?

Twist: Federally, it's still illegal.

didnt see that he said he lived in one of those states.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/2 ... 37034.html

*waits for "zomg but that doesn't mean it's legal!11!!"

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby dowu » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:22 am

Sinatra wrote:
dowu wrote:
Sinatra wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Also, for the forum's sake, please at least pretend to be in a state that allows recreational/medical marijuana use... because no one here would ever advise anyone to violate state or federal drug laws.

twist: he lives in CO

How is that a twist if he already told us he was from a state where it has been decriminalized?

Twist: Federally, it's still illegal.

didnt see that he said he lived in one of those states.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/2 ... 37034.html

*waits for "zomg but that doesn't mean it's legal!11!!"

Just stop typing you humorless turd.

User avatar
Sinatra
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby Sinatra » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:27 am

dowu wrote:Just stop typing you humorless turd.

A1 rebuttal.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby dowu » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:40 am

Sinatra wrote:
dowu wrote:Just stop typing you humorless turd.

A1 rebuttal.

Bringing home a meal the whole family loves.

User avatar
PourMeTea
Posts: 6508
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:54 am

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby dowu » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:59 am

PourMeTea wrote:
dowu wrote:
Sinatra wrote:
dowu wrote:Just stop typing you humorless turd.

A1 rebuttal.

Bringing home a meal the whole family loves.


Fancy seeing you here

:)

Cooleytruthsayer
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby Cooleytruthsayer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:53 am

I am watching Madmen on Netflicks and just saw the episode the other day where Peggy gets stoned after hours with the guys.

It seemed to work ok for her, not so much for them.

User avatar
lsatyolo
Posts: 1809
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby lsatyolo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:48 am

What you're going through is in my opinion normal for someone who smokes the ganja on a daily basis. If you quit cold turkey it should take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust. I know people who went through the same thing. But when do you usually take the adderall? My advice is that you take it as early as possible so that by the end of the day its pretty much worn off.

jenjen1234
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby jenjen1234 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:24 am

lsatyolo wrote:What you're going through is in my opinion normal for someone who smokes the ganja on a daily basis. If you quit cold turkey it should take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust. I know people who went through the same thing. But when do you usually take the adderall? My advice is that you take it as early as possible so that by the end of the day its pretty much worn off.


Yea I agree every since I quit it has been extremely difficult to eat and to sleep, as well as the bad headaches... the problem is its worse with the adderall... i take it at 9AM but it still isnt out of my system by 12 when I want to sleep... i just feel like quitting now is a bad idea because I didnt do it months ago. I really wish i did, but like someone else said, its not good to confuse your brain this close to the exam time. I think I will just be reserved with my smoking and keep it for before bed time and i should be fine. It hasnt really affected my ability to study, just my motivation in the morning but then I take an addy and thats all gone. I feel like the two were made for one another! Thank you to everyone who replied I think I have made my decision!

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:36 pm

jenjen1234 wrote:
lsatyolo wrote:What you're going through is in my opinion normal for someone who smokes the ganja on a daily basis. If you quit cold turkey it should take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust. I know people who went through the same thing. But when do you usually take the adderall? My advice is that you take it as early as possible so that by the end of the day its pretty much worn off.


Yea I agree every since I quit it has been extremely difficult to eat and to sleep, as well as the bad headaches... the problem is its worse with the adderall... i take it at 9AM but it still isnt out of my system by 12 when I want to sleep... i just feel like quitting now is a bad idea because I didnt do it months ago. I really wish i did, but like someone else said, its not good to confuse your brain this close to the exam time. I think I will just be reserved with my smoking and keep it for before bed time and i should be fine. It hasnt really affected my ability to study, just my motivation in the morning but then I take an addy and thats all gone. I feel like the two were made for one another! Thank you to everyone who replied I think I have made my decision!


Remember that the test is at 8:30, so you should start preparing to be wide awake and fully alert by 8:30 pretty soon.

Cooleytruthsayer
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Postby Cooleytruthsayer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Do what you got to do, but keep two things in mind.

1. Many employers (even legal) require drug tests and not all are urine. I have taken hair tests that go back several years. It may be a good idea to dry out and shave the head a few times.

2. It's hard enough to explain convictions before law school, but if you have one WHILE in law school it can look a LOT worse to character and fitness

and perhaps the WORST PART:

3. If caught with drugs while on student loans, you can get kicked off them for awhile (if not all together)
and unless you have $100K stuffed in your pillow that can ruin any odds of even paying for it.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackmamba8, brewpub16, DumbHollywoodActor, NavyNuke, packerboy31489, PresidentIJohnson, SiddFinch85 and 20 guests