New LG versus Old LG

Aequitas_

New LG versus Old LG

Postby Aequitas_ » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Although I could be wrong, it seems the very new LG is much harder than the older LG. What suggestions do any of you have in tackling these newer games? Not sure if there is a thread on newer LG already.

mojangles

Re: New LG versus Old LG

Postby mojangles » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:48 pm

I think old LG was significantly harder. IMHO, after sitting for June 2013, the LG were even easier than the other recent PTs (or at least, more consistent, didn't have one game that seemed any more difficult than the rest)

Aequitas_

Postby Aequitas_ » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:26 am

Gah, this is so frustrating. Going from -0 to -4 to barely 10-14 right. Used to be my saving grace.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:54 pm

New LG often follows this format:

2 easy games.
1 moderate game that hypos help with, but can be brute forced
1 difficult game where hypos are necessary.

Exceptions: 62 had two difficult games. 68's difficult game (#4) just took a lot of time, even with hypos, which were less useful.

I don't think newer LG's are more difficult except for that they require hypos more. And LSAC throws weirder stuff at us sometimes. LSAC has also moved away from circular games, which I'm happy about.

I also think LSAC is starting to like vertical games more (Top, Middle, Bottom, etc.), and capitalizing on people being a bit less comfortable with these over horizontal games. In 69, the first question in this type of game was purposely made confusing (bottom written first) for this reason.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Aequitas_ wrote:Gah, this is so frustrating. Going from -0 to -4 to barely 10-14 right. Used to be my saving grace.

They haven't changed it up enough for a 10-point swing from the old to the new (especially since I agree that newer ones tend to be in a narrowed difficulty band, albeit with a slightly more difficult average). Something else is probably going on - you might have had an off day for the first one, which has killed your confidence. But it is, in all likelihood, not the test itself.

SupCutie

Postby SupCutie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:47 pm

I dislike new LG. Many are hypo-heavy and just take me way too long. Older ones with the exception of a couple of bizarre games, I could finish -0 in 28-30 minutes basically everytime. The new ones I still often go -0, but it takes me 33-35 minutes and there were a handful of times where I didn't finish 1 or 2 questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”