Time to allot for studying

xander787

Time to allot for studying

Postby xander787 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:28 pm

Last edited by xander787 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Re: Time to allot for studying

Postby Nova » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:43 pm

3-4 months of hardcore studying is enough for most.

Lol @ studying for longer being detrimental though. That's totally not credible.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Studying longer won't hurt you, but going into a huge "ZOMG LSAT" mode three years before the test and taking a whole bunch of the modern PTs could.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Agreed. Just focus on your GPA for now.

I would highly recommend using Noodley's guide when the time comes. Those materials and that study plan worked well for me. You can find it in the stickies.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:14 am

OP: If I read it right, you are just starting UG right now and don't even have a GPA yet. Forget about the LSAT, settle into UG, focus on getting into your new lifestyle and college routine, focus on getting into good study habits to get good grades. Your GPA should be your main focus for the next few years, then the LSAT, not the other way around.

Seriously, you should have a lot on your plate if you just started your first year of UG, live that life for a while before planning out and prepping for grad school. So the answer is zero. Right now and for at least two years you should put zero time directly into preparing for the LSAT. If you want to take some classes in UG that might help build skills that help on the LSAT, that is worth considering. Basic philosophy/logic classes are good to learn some of the basics of reasoning and flawed reasoning that permeate the LSAT. English/lit/humanities classes can be good to improve your reading skills and vocabulary.

xander787

Postby xander787 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:28 am

Last edited by xander787 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:41 am

Dude, I seriously wouldn't study over the summer. If you are concerned about what you will do after you graduate, find an internship, work your heart out in it, and start cultivating relationships with professors.

If you start now, basically all you will do is...
A. Study marginally for two years, then start studying seriously three months before the test and realize you've done half the PTs available.
B. Start studying, stop, start again, stop and not absorb anything.

Both are bad plans.

A better plan is 4-7 months before hand, sitting down and treating the LSAT like it is your part time job. Do I wish I had more time between now and October? Of course. But there is no way I could maintain this pace for two years, and I don't think I would maintain my current PT scores if I wasn't maintaining this pace.

Take that with what you will.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:53 am

xander787 wrote:Thanks for the input.

OP: If I read it right, you are just starting UG right now and don't even have a GPA yet. Forget about the LSAT, settle into UG, focus on getting into your new lifestyle and college routine, focus on getting into good study habits to get good grades. Your GPA should be your main focus for the next few years, then the LSAT, not the other way around.

Seriously, you should have a lot on your plate if you just started your first year of UG, live that life for a while before planning out and prepping for grad school. So the answer is zero. Right now and for at least two years you should put zero time directly into preparing for the LSAT. If you want to take some classes in UG that might help build skills that help on the LSAT, that is worth considering. Basic philosophy/logic classes are good to learn some of the basics of reasoning and flawed reasoning that permeate the LSAT. English/lit/humanities classes can be good to improve your reading skills and vocabulary.

Thank you for the advice, but I disagree with a few of your points. I am just starting undergrad, but I'm also trying to decide which career path I want to take after undergrad, so I think it's completely reasonable to be thinking about what I need to do in the coming years. I'm also considering changes to my major, and thus, am trying to research the processes to get into law school so I can be familiar with them early on if that's the career path I decide on. I've just been reading up and am trying to get some information. Also, I'm not putting any time into studying for the LSAT any time soon, but I may be during the summer, and for that, I'd like to know a little bit about what people's experience with it has been.

You don't actually disagree with anything I said, I think you misunderstood.

Putting time into exploring career and grad school options is great, you should be doing that since part of UG is figuring out what direction in life to head in and you have to choose a major to stick with early on. Doing that is different than prepping for an admission test. You asked about time to allot for LSAT studying, right now the answer is zero even if you are 100% certain about law school. You can plan for it to be in your future, it would just be silly to prep for it now or anytime within the next two years since you have many other more pressing things that are important in the present to deal with for now. Don't spread yourself too thin right away as you start first year.

You are clearly enthusiastic, motivated and planning way ahead, those are all good traits. Just try not to let the pressure and importance of everything down the road push you to try to race faster ahead of things than you can or should. You are at the beginning of a long marathon, not a sprint, and should focus more heavily on things that are really important to work on right now (UG classes, extracurriculars, making friends) instead of things that are a long time away in the future.

Seriously, take some time settling into being an UG student and also try to enjoy it a little bit. You aren't supposed to or expected to lay out and pick a plan for the next 10 years of your life during your first semester in UG unless you have some really overbearing parents. Since you've already taken a practice LSAT before you've ever even taken an UG final, I'm getting the vibe that you might have parents that put a lot of academic pressure on you. If so, part of the UG experience and growth process involves you becoming more independent and more in control of how you plan and handle your life going forward and less subject to parental pressures and decisions in everything involved.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”