"Miscellaneous" Logic Games still on LSAT?

sjwoods

"Miscellaneous" Logic Games still on LSAT?

Postby sjwoods » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Hey, so I've been using the 1st volume of the Cambridge Logic Games Q by type, and they have a large section of "miscellaneous" type games. I've also taken about 15 (much) more recent preptests, and have never seen a game that isn't one of the main types discussed by Cambridge (or Powerscore in the LG Bible, i.e. simple ordering, complex grouping, etc.). Does anyone know if they still include "miscellaneous" type questions on the LSAT?

ScottRiqui

Re: "Miscellaneous" Logic Games still on LSAT?

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:50 pm

I think the last "miscellaneous" game was a circular game on PT41, so it's been ten years. I don't think you can rule out the possibility of seeing a "non-standard" game on a future LSAT, but it's probably not worth spending much time worrying about it, either.

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Agreed. Probability is low, but there's still an attention-worthy chance. And if that chance happens to be fulfilled on the LSAT administration you're taking, well then hopefully you're prepared!

magickware

Postby magickware » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:50 am

The game on PT 68 (The Oct. 2012 one) would count as a misc, wouldn't it?

dowu

Postby dowu » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:55 am

magickware wrote:The game on PT 68 (The Oct. 2012 one) would count as a misc, wouldn't it?

Zones? I did that one. It was very unusual to see.

finnandjake2

Postby finnandjake2 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:04 am

dowu wrote:
magickware wrote:The game on PT 68 (The Oct. 2012 one) would count as a misc, wouldn't it?

Unusual is an understatement. That shit pulled the 170+ rug out from underneath me. (I'm also sure that I can't be the only one.)

dowu

Postby dowu » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:05 am

finnandjake2 wrote:
dowu wrote:

Unusual is an understatement. That shit pulled the 170+ rug out from underneath me. (I'm also sure that I can't be the only one.)

Some kid puked during my test when he saw that game. Swear to god.

finnandjake2

Postby finnandjake2 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:08 am

dowu wrote:
finnandjake2 wrote:
dowu wrote:

Some kid puked during my test when he saw that game. Swear to god.

I believe it. That one game cost me about 1/3 of my wrong answers and it came out of the blue.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:34 am

dowu wrote:

Anyone care to explain this further?

finnandjake2

Postby finnandjake2 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:01 pm

xylocarp wrote:
dowu wrote:

The setup is very wordy and the game is not instantly recognizable as a common game type. I also believe that a lot of the clues to answer the questions are in the actual questions rather then the prop. (Of course I don't know this for sure because I didn't do the best on it.)

I just know that one should expect the unexpected because even though the LSAT is pretty straightforward the more you work on it... there is always the possibility that you might get a curve ball (or at least what seems like one.)

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:40 pm

finnandjake2 wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
dowu wrote:

The setup is very wordy and the game is not instantly recognizable as a common game type. I also believe that a lot of the clues to answer the questions are in the actual questions rather then the prop. (Of course I don't know this for sure because I didn't do the best on it.)

I just know that one should expect the unexpected because even though the LSAT is pretty straightforward the more you work on it... there is always the possibility that you might get a curve ball (or at least what seems like one.)

Thing is, that's just a grouping game. That's the direction the LSAT has been going in - basic game types, but dressed up to try to confuse you. Don't let it. Start with the basics - is this ordering or grouping? - and build from there, even if you get a vomit-inducing game like the Zones game.

And those misc. games I call gimmick games - once you understand the gimmick, you should easily be able to do any of them. So spend enough time to learn the gimmick just in case, but no more than that.

finnandjake2

Postby finnandjake2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:23 pm

Well put. I realize now it was not that complicated but the way it was dressed up made me think that it must be more complicated. The better you know the test the less you'll fall for these types of traps.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”