Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

Postby 04102014 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:15 pm

haus wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:I hate this woman.

If you opt to retake, perhaps she would share her snacks with you.


My reaction to this would depend on her definition of snacks.

carrots: :x

goldfish: :)

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22865
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:19 pm

midwest17 wrote:And their LSAT scores probably reflected that, and it's probably a challenge that they have to find ways to work around. I'm not saying these are impossible issues to overcome, I'm just saying that they're not tangential to what the test is meant to measure.

Sure, I just don't think you can say that taking the test under normal conditions reasonably predicts the actual performance as a lawyer of someone with a documented disability, because the LSAT is administered under really artificial conditions. (Might predict her performance in law school, but presumably if the person can get accommodations on the LSAT, they can also get accommodations for law school exams.)

I can kind of get behind allowing a snack (for instance, if she's diabetic). Gotta confess that white noise seems a bit over the top. (Can't you bring in ear plugs?)

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

Postby 04102014 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:20 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
midwest17 wrote:And their LSAT scores probably reflected that, and it's probably a challenge that they have to find ways to work around. I'm not saying these are impossible issues to overcome, I'm just saying that they're not tangential to what the test is meant to measure.

Sure, I just don't think you can say that taking the test under normal conditions reasonably predicts the actual performance as a lawyer of someone with a documented disability, because the LSAT is administered under really artificial conditions. (Might predict her performance in law school, but presumably if the person can get accommodations on the LSAT, they can also get accommodations for law school exams.)

I can kind of get behind allowing a snack (for instance, if she's diabetic). Gotta confess that white noise seems a bit over the top. (Can't you bring in ear plugs?)


Ear plugs are prohibited.

User avatar
Royal
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Re: Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

Postby Royal » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:39 pm

When she begins practicing law, will she ask the judge at the scheduling conference for double the amount of weeks for discovery? And will her client be happy with paying double the bill?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22865
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Royal wrote:When she begins practicing law, will she ask the judge at the scheduling conference for double the amount of weeks for discovery? And will her client be happy with paying double the bill?

Ability to take a written test under strict time constraints doesn't track directly to the ability to conduct discovery; requesting double time on a 3-hr test doesn't translate to everything you do taking twice as long as normal. And firms cut down hours all the time in billing. Sure, there are things she will probably struggle with, but she may well have methods of coping with her disability(s) (whatever they are) that would work in practice but aren't feasible on the exam. I don't see why she shouldn't have the opportunity to try, at least.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

Postby wtrc » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:52 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
midwest17 wrote:And their LSAT scores probably reflected that, and it's probably a challenge that they have to find ways to work around. I'm not saying these are impossible issues to overcome, I'm just saying that they're not tangential to what the test is meant to measure.

Sure, I just don't think you can say that taking the test under normal conditions reasonably predicts the actual performance as a lawyer of someone with a documented disability, because the LSAT is administered under really artificial conditions. (Might predict her performance in law school, but presumably if the person can get accommodations on the LSAT, they can also get accommodations for law school exams.)

I can kind of get behind allowing a snack (for instance, if she's diabetic). Gotta confess that white noise seems a bit over the top. (Can't you bring in ear plugs?)


Ear plugs are prohibited.


That's it, I'm suing.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2836
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

Postby haus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:56 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
midwest17 wrote:And their LSAT scores probably reflected that, and it's probably a challenge that they have to find ways to work around. I'm not saying these are impossible issues to overcome, I'm just saying that they're not tangential to what the test is meant to measure.

Sure, I just don't think you can say that taking the test under normal conditions reasonably predicts the actual performance as a lawyer of someone with a documented disability, because the LSAT is administered under really artificial conditions. (Might predict her performance in law school, but presumably if the person can get accommodations on the LSAT, they can also get accommodations for law school exams.)

I can kind of get behind allowing a snack (for instance, if she's diabetic). Gotta confess that white noise seems a bit over the top. (Can't you bring in ear plugs?)


Ear plugs are prohibited.


That's it, I'm suing.

Be sure to ask for snacks while you are at it...

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

Postby Crowing » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:10 pm

I think we should all get snacks, as long as Parmesan and cilantro are banned.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

Postby dr123 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Surprised this wasnt posted in the Boomer Hate thread.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15515
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:26 pm

haus wrote:LSAT may correlate somewhat with performance in 1L, but the connection becomes weaker in later years of school, and I doubt that any real correlation can be shown between someone's overall career performance to their LSAT scores.

Now this goes a little too far the other way, because you're effectively saying that law school attended has no real correlation to someone's overall career performance.

But seriously, I'd like to see this white noise machine. I picture it looking something like this:

Image

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2836
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

Postby haus » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
haus wrote:LSAT may correlate somewhat with performance in 1L, but the connection becomes weaker in later years of school, and I doubt that any real correlation can be shown between someone's overall career performance to their LSAT scores.

Now this goes a little too far the other way, because you're effectively saying that law school attended has no real correlation to someone's overall career performance.

But seriously, I'd like to see this white noise machine. I picture it looking something like this:

Image

The school someone attends may well lead to their career success, but that does not provide proof that the students LSAT scores have a direct correlation. I suspect that if you picked your favorite measure of success, placement with top firms, salary, win/loss records, shiniest teeth (well OK this one may actually correlate with LSAT scores) for any students at any given school, I doubt you will find a strong correlation between your measure of choice and LSAT scores.

Does Yale put more people into Academia than GW. Sure, but this is because it is Yale not because of what happened on a ~100 question scantron sheet. If that person we mentioned before with the 155 LSAT who is a 1L at Yale wants into Academia, I will put money down right now that they have better odds at reaching this goal than any of the 166 scores who are 1L this year at GW.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15515
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:52 pm

The point is that LSAT correlates very closely with school rank. So if you say the LSAT doesn't correlate with career outcomes you are saying career outcomes don't improve as school rank gets better.

User avatar
LSAT Blog
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Woman sues LSAC for denying white noise machine, snacks...

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Some background on the plaintiff:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/mo-court-of- ... 87571.html

At least this appears to be the same woman, based on the location of the case (St. Louis).




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pozzo and 4 guests