Mid 170s PT taker wondering how to study at this point

Nooblarzlarz

Mid 170s PT taker wondering how to study at this point

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:10 am

Hey TLS,

Currently I'm PTing in the mid 170s (last test was a 178) and am wondering how I should focus my studies at this point. I have PT 51-68 left as fresh material. I also have plenty of questions to drill by type, but I don't think my accuracy is an issue at this point (whenever I blind review, I don't miss questions). The only time I miss questions seems to be when I don't distribute my time well enough which ends up hurting my accuracy.

I think my only issue at this point is timing, so my solution is to use the LRs & RCs from 51-59 as section timing practice, along with combining Cambridge RCs from level 2-4 to make full RC sections, and PT every few days up until the test.

Does this sound reasonable or do y'all have any other suggestions for ways to study at this point?

Otunga

Re: Mid 170s PT taker wondering how to study at this point

Postby Otunga » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Before you rush to use the 50s for drilling, try out a mid-late 50s test and make sure you score on that one just as well as you have on earlier tests. If you do, then yeah, I don't see why you can't use the rest for drilling. Make sure, though, to use the 60s for full tests. Actually, I suggest taking a 60s test to be the next thing you do. If you score mid-170s on that, odds are you don't have to do much but maintain your skills until test day.

JDeezy

Postby JDeezy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Was in a similar spot last year... only other piece of advice I'd say is to focus on some of the weirder logic games. I was getting -0 LG all day long but once test day hit and the "Zones" game came up it busted my confidence a little bit. I thought I was a -0 lock and once I started having issues on zones I started freaking out a little bit.

Nooblarzlarz

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:00 pm

JDeezy wrote:Was in a similar spot last year... only other piece of advice I'd say is to focus on some of the weirder logic games. I was getting -0 LG all day long but once test day hit and the "Zones" game came up it busted my confidence a little bit. I thought I was a -0 lock and once I started having issues on zones I started freaking out a little bit.
I'm guessing Zones and Dinos are ones I need to look at. Any sources on the weird ones I should look out for?

Otunga wrote:Before you rush to use the 50s for drilling, try out a mid-late 50s test and make sure you score on that one just as well as you have on earlier tests. If you do, then yeah, I don't see why you can't use the rest for drilling. Make sure, though, to use the 60s for full tests. Actually, I suggest taking a 60s test to be the next thing you do. If you score mid-170s on that, odds are you don't have to do much but maintain your skills until test day.

Just scored 177 on PT 60. I'm going to space out 61-68 throughout the next month, do 51-59 sections in between test days along with made-up RC sections and redrill logic games.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Nooblarzlarz wrote:
JDeezy wrote:Was in a similar spot last year... only other piece of advice I'd say is to focus on some of the weirder logic games. I was getting -0 LG all day long but once test day hit and the "Zones" game came up it busted my confidence a little bit. I thought I was a -0 lock and once I started having issues on zones I started freaking out a little bit.
I'm guessing Zones and Dinos are ones I need to look at. Any sources on the weird ones I should look out for?

Otunga wrote:Before you rush to use the 50s for drilling, try out a mid-late 50s test and make sure you score on that one just as well as you have on earlier tests. If you do, then yeah, I don't see why you can't use the rest for drilling. Make sure, though, to use the 60s for full tests. Actually, I suggest taking a 60s test to be the next thing you do. If you score mid-170s on that, odds are you don't have to do much but maintain your skills until test day.

Just scored 177 on PT 60. I'm going to space out 61-68 throughout the next month, do 51-59 sections in between test days along with made-up RC sections and redrill logic games.

Hmm. That's awesome. It seems like you're ready.

So yeah, like this other poster suggested, try out the 'weird modern stuff'. Take 67 soon as 67 has the infamously hard (usually cited as infamously hard, anyway) iKung! passage in RC. So if you can conquer that RC section, you can probably conquer most. And likewise in LG, if you can conquer the dinos section, odds are you can conquer almost any other LG section.

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:18 pm

This is helpful for me, as I'm basically in the same situation as the OP. Through 7 tests (PTs 45-51), I'm averaging a 175 and was wondering if I should jump right to the 60s + SuperPreps A,B,C and leave the 50s for timed sections. I guess I have my answer!

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:24 pm

Now is the time to control for distractions and odd circumstances. Take tests in weird places, on little sleep, hungry, or any other outside conditions that could hurt your performance. Be prepared.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:39 pm

JWP1022 wrote:This is helpful for me, as I'm basically in the same situation as the OP. Through 7 tests (PTs 45-51), I'm averaging a 175 and was wondering if I should jump right to the 60s + SuperPreps A,B,C and leave the 50s for timed sections. I guess I have my answer!

I'd save Superprep stuff at this point. At this juncture, you should be focusing on the more modern stuff, so mid-late 50s and all the 60s.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:20 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Now is the time to control for distractions and odd circumstances. Take tests in weird places, on little sleep, hungry, or any other outside conditions that could hurt your performance. Be prepared.

This. And get a massage, and don't stress, and don't PT every day. You're in a great place... Do whatever you can to maintain where you are and eliminate stress on test day. You know this test so well, make sure you have internalized that. PT70 is just another PT to destroy.

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:46 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Now is the time to control for distractions and odd circumstances. Take tests in weird places, on little sleep, hungry, or any other outside conditions that could hurt your performance. Be prepared.

This. And get a massage, and don't stress, and don't PT every day. You're in a great place... Do whatever you can to maintain where you are and eliminate stress on test day. You know this test so well, make sure you have internalized that. PT70 is just another PT to destroy.

I was like this leading into 69, but I ended up getting a 166 due to somehow ending up with -8 on LG, which was just unreal. Here's hoping! :twisted:

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:56 pm

JWP1022 wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:

I was like this leading into 69, but I ended up getting a 166 due to somehow ending up with -8 on LG, which was just unreal. Here's hoping! :twisted:

I had -7 on LG. The worst I had in months before that was -2, so I feel your pain. Studying with less stress this time around I hope.

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Try something in the 65-69 and see what you get.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”