How to fight for those last few points?

Mourinho349

How to fight for those last few points?

Postby Mourinho349 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Last edited by Mourinho349 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffort

Re: How to fight for those last few points?

Postby Jeffort » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:22 pm

Change your LSAT registration to the October test and keep moving forward with timed practice since you are clearly into near perfect peak LSAT form RIGHT NOW four weeks before the Oct test. Assuming your PT scores are all legit in terms of strict test day conditions, fresh never before seen tests, you are already at the top of the test with nothing new to learn, you just need to shore up execution issues with a little more practice. You really should ride out being in LSAT mode to the October test since its going to be really hard to keep yourself in timed 175+ shape from now until December. Why wait?

All you need to do is sustained timed practice for the next four weeks with detailed review of exactly why you got each question wrong that you missed to hopefully figure out what types of mistakes/problems you are having that cost points. At the score range you are at there isn't really much more to do other than perfect execution of everything under timed conditions through practice and thorough analysis and review of mistakes. You already know all the concepts and techniques, its just about doing everything perfectly under timed conditions now which is mainly done through practice and review of mistakes. Perhaps a little bit of review of the details of the various time saving strategies wouldn't hurt just to refresh your memory to make sure you are remember to use them all. (for instance, with SA questions, if the conclusion has a new element not in the premises, automatically and immediately eliminate all ACs that don't contain that element since there is no reason to analyze them any further)

If your PT scores are not all exactly honestly *legit* in terms of 100% strict test day conditions then my advice would be completely different.

If you ever paused even 15 seconds between sections, went over time by even 10 seconds in a section, took an extra bathroom break, have ever paused a section, gotten a mid test drink and/or snack, had food/drink on the desk for use during the test, anything else you cannot do on test day, then your PT scores are not 100% legit for prediction purposes and you need to re-evaluate where your current scoring range under test conditions actually is so that you don't make decisions based on inflated scores.

You know if you ever fudged anything even just a little bit with any of your practice tests, just be honest with yourself if you have so you don't fool yourself into false confidence. I know, it sounds stupid, but people fall into this trap all the time because they really want to believe they are scoring in their goal range and are willing to look past little advantages they gave themselves on practice tests that may have helped gain a few points. Not accusing you, just pointing this out as food for thought just in case it applies. It sucks hearing from people that PTd in the 170+ range that get 160s shocker scores only to realize their PT range had been artificially inflated by the conditions the tests were taken under. Little things make big score differences in the 170+ range so even just one short pause you wouldn't have on test day can make a few points difference by giving you a tiny bit more concentration power.
Last edited by Jeffort on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mourinho349

Postby Mourinho349 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:54 pm

Last edited by Mourinho349 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:59 pm

If you are not taking until the December test you should take a break from practice tests otherwise you will run out of fresh ones long before test day.

Consistently scoring in the 170s range on fresh tests under test day conditions means you are ready to take the test, no more prep needed except for practice and review to weed out the few mistakes you are making and to stay in shape.

Are you really going to wait until December? You really don't have anything new to learn about the test before then, you just need to remember what you already learned and stay good at doing everything. Basically you just need LSAT maintenance for a while to wait it out until December, then ramp back up with frequent timed practices about five weeks out from test day.

Mourinho349

Postby Mourinho349 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Last edited by Mourinho349 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:16 pm

Jeffort wrote:Consistently scoring in the 170s range on fresh tests under test day conditions means you are ready to take the test, no more prep needed except for practice and review to weed out the few mistakes you are making and to stay in shape.

I'm in this position, and planning to take in October. I've got 61-69 fresh (as well as older ones that I'm using for experimental sections and other old ones that I haven't bought yet). That gives me 2 per week until the test; is that enough to maintain my scores? Should I be doing more or fewer?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:13 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Jeffort wrote:Consistently scoring in the 170s range on fresh tests under test day conditions means you are ready to take the test, no more prep needed except for practice and review to weed out the few mistakes you are making and to stay in shape.

I'm in this position, and planning to take in October. I've got 61-69 fresh (as well as older ones that I'm using for experimental sections and other old ones that I haven't bought yet). That gives me 2 per week until the test; is that enough to maintain my scores? Should I be doing more or fewer?

Two per week plus other practice with sections and/or more drilling focused on whatever stuff you feel could use some touch up as you proceed is enough to stay in shape, but I'd probably do at least three timed PTs per week the last two weeks, maybe even four to really perfect timing with fresh tests. You don't have to do four, some people find that to be too many and end up feeling less sharp/fatigued by the fourth one if not enough rest time in between tests. You have to try it out and see if doing more than two leads to fatigue or burnout and worse performance for you, everyone reacts a little bit different with this stuff during the last two weeks and how it affects performance.

Since you have limited fresh tests, if you want to do more than two per week, just do some tests you haven't seen in a long time in the next two weeks along with two or three fresh ones so that you have enough recent fresh ones for the last two weeks.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:23 pm

Mourinho349 wrote:
Jeffort wrote:If you are not taking until the December test you should take a break from practice tests otherwise you will run out of fresh ones long before test day.

Consistently scoring in the 170s range on fresh tests under test day conditions means you are ready to take the test, no more prep needed except for practice and review to weed out the few mistakes you are making and to stay in shape.

Are you really going to wait until December?

Unfortunately, I don't have a choice about taking it in October (Uncle Sam doesn't really care if my PT's are going well). Thanks a lot for the advice though, I think just constant thorough review, like you said, is the way to go. I already fully write out every LR question that I miss with explanations in a notebook so I think maybe reviewing that will be a good idea at this point as well.

I hear you on people lying to themselves and getting a much worse score than anticipated. I have made every effort to avoid that scenario. That is why I want to try to get to the point where I am consistently mid to high 170s because my goal is a 172 and I know there will be things on test day that I can't predict.

Ha ha, darn Uncle Sam for getting in the way! That sucks, but it is just more waiting time until you go grab your 99% score. As I said, you really just need to do maintenance for a while to keep yourself from getting rusty and should lay off practice tests for a while since you have limited fresh tests and since there is no reason to stay in test day shape for three months straight.

You can easily get yourself back into timed test day shape in four to five weeks or less leading up to the December test by doing a bunch of timed tests then instead of now. In the meantime just keep doing drilling/practice with review the same way you have been since it has obviously worked to get you into the 170s range, just scale back doing many timed tests for a while.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”