Should I go for the October LSAT or the December?

MiracleNeeded

Should I go for the October LSAT or the December?

Postby MiracleNeeded » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:55 pm

So I recently broke 160 twice then duped back to my usual high 150s. I don't know if the dip was from doing too many PTs and my brain just started seeing everything the same way, I was doing two a day sometimes.

With another month of prep left, more like 3 weeks since the last week won't be too intense for prep, I feel I may be able to get back to the 160s, maybe mid to high 160s, but then again I might not.

If I wait until December I might peak before the test happens. I hear good things about the LR bundles from Cambridge and I might get the velocity videos since the ones on YouTube seem really legit. I don't think I have enough time to do the videos and bundles and PTs with 3 to 4 weeks left.

Thoughts?

Jeffort

Re: Should I go for the October LSAT or the December?

Postby Jeffort » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:09 am

If your LG section score is not near perfect, that is the easiest section for you to dramatically improve on and get a lot more points out of in a short amount of prep time, aka between now and the October test. So, if you are missing more than just a few per LG section, really hit games prep hard to pick up all those easier to gain points, it takes more work to make a big points per section gain in LR than in games.

You shouldn't neglect LR though, still try to improve there as well, but focus more on games if you have a lot of points to gain there.

With LR you really need to figure out the logical mistakes you are making when selecting incorrect answers and fix the flawed thinking that is causing you to believe that certain incorrect answer choices logically satisfy the question stem when they really don't. This means that you need to review the LR questions you get wrong more thoroughly to figure out what you are doing wrong/misunderstand with a concept/flawed analysis/etc. to fix those issues. At the high 150s range you are probably missing a good amount per LR section and missing many of them due to weaknesses with some concepts and/or techniques as well as practical application of analysis steps failings under timed pressure that need to be identified and fixed.

This means slowing down the volume of practice tests a bit for now and focusing on techniques, concepts, strategies with detailed review of mistakes and practice questions, not just doing as much timed practice as you can. You shouldn't be doing two practice tests a day when barely breaking 160 since that means you are not doing much if any quality review between tests, therefore learning and changing virtually nothing about your current approach. If you keep doing it that way you will see very little if any improvement.

I can tell by your post that you are currently embracing the churn and burn prep method which consists of mainly just doing as much timed practice as possible, checking answer keys, looking at the answers for questions you got wrong for a couple of minutes, lather rinse repeat, hope you get more points next time. It's a prep trap lots of people fall into about a month out from test day. Remember, quality study is much better and more helpful than quantity of preptests you take timed, so do stuff that will help you perform better, don't just repeatedly try to perform better over and over without some good learning how to perform better time in between.

Focused review and drilling of games types and of troublesome LR question types would be a good idea. Figure out which types of stuff you are having more trouble with than others and focus on that stuff.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:30 am

The answer is generally, if you have to ask, the later of the two.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:45 am

Clearly wrote:The answer is generally, if you have to ask, the later of the two.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that in my long post since the question is only in the thread title. If you can get yourself to keep prepping for a few more months into December you should wait to take the test then since you have a lot of room for improvement. With three months more of quality prep time (not just taking practice tests) you should be able to bump up your score significantly higher than 160 and open up much better law school options.

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:34 am

Jeffort wrote:
Clearly wrote:The answer is generally, if you have to ask, the later of the two.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that in my long post since the question is only in the thread title. If you can get yourself to keep prepping for a few more months into December you should wait to take the test then since you have a lot of room for improvement. With three months more of quality prep time (not just taking practice tests) you should be able to bump up your score significantly higher than 160 and open up much better law school options.

Thanks guys, between my wife, a guru, you guys and my mom it's unanimous. December it is. This won't hurt my application process for next September will it? October and December are both suitable for 2014 enrollment correct?

I really am doing the "churn and burn" style prep. I do go over my wrong answers but I need to return to the manhattan and bibles to see what I'm doing wrong. I also have my Outside LSAT book which has the most difficult questions organized by type and I'm reviewing that.

The funny thing about me is I'm starting to actually like the timed PTs. I get excited for them i think mainly because I was moving upward in my scores and it felt good. With an extra two months I'm going to bust my ass on games and LR where the points can really rack up those points and keep my reading where it is or raise it if I can. -4 or -5 is ok with me I can sacrifice those points if I feel I can get close to perfect on LR and games keeping reading where it is.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”