Sudden Drop in Scores

Trig

Sudden Drop in Scores

Postby Trig » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Last edited by Trig on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otunga

Re: Sudden Drop in Scores

Postby Otunga » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Is the discrepancy in RC or is it more evenly distributed?

Trig

Postby Trig » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:46 pm

It was a huge drop in LR which I was able to tighten back up and then it became a huge drop in RC, which is funny because my first -0 in RC was on PT 69.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Southbridge wrote:It was a huge drop in LR which I was able to tighten back up and then it became a huge drop in RC, which is funny because my first -0 in RC was on PT 69.

Well, that's one hell of a bright spot to get -0 on the most recent test.

My worst RC scores have come on the 60s, though I've tightened it up. Keep working at it and you'll get accustomed to them. The big difference with 60s RC is the more significant amount of inference questions, and one can get used to that.

moralsentiments

Postby moralsentiments » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:49 pm

I noticed the same thing when I started taking the 60s. I dropped probably 2-4 points from my average for about 5 straight tests. I stopped doing practice tests for a couple days to let my brain rest, took the June LSAT and ended up scoring one point higher than my typical average.

For me, it was burnout I think. It may be different for you but it might not be a bad idea to consider taking a day or two off to recoup.

akg144

Postby akg144 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:44 am

Same here, I was testing PTs 1-44 at avg of 173.2 then took PT 69 and 68 and got 169 and 171 respectively obviously well below the average. I think it's just because the tests become objectively more difficult -- there's obviously increased complexity and nuance in the most recent tests and far less softball "easy" answers; consequently you need to work your brain slightly harder to just to get back to where you were before they made RC and LG more difficult. The rule replacement on LG and the more open-ended structure in general of LG makes that section more difficult than before and with RC the difficulty of certain questions with very small differences in answer choices can be mentally draining so that you may not as easily pick up on small que's in subsequent passages as easily as before in your earlier practice tests -- the cumulative effect is a greater demand for cognitive endurance for the same score. At least that's my theory, I could be wrong, just my two cents.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”