Crux questions.

crestor

Crux questions.

Postby crestor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:43 pm

I sat june and these things just pissed me off. They just messed with my flow which really leads for me at least to bad things on the section. I did PT 68 and don't recall seeing one.

Hopefully they don't appear on PT 70 but its always better to plan for the worst so how do you guys approach these questions?

neprep

Re: Crux questions.

Postby neprep » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:59 pm

This is something that's worked for me, although I don't know whom to give credit to, because all the LR advice from MLSAT and LRB and TLT and TLS are all sort of becoming a monolithic blob (in a good way, haha):

On these questions, I can eliminate 2 or 3 based on the fact that just ONE of the speakers mentions it, and the other doesn't even get close, so there's no way to figure out what the other person's opinion on it will be. Not the crux.

Of the remaining, the correct AC is one that one speaker will agree with and the other will disagree with. I eliminate (from the remaining two or three) ones that they will (i) probably both agree with and (ii) probably both disagree with. If what's left sounds like a generally defendable answer, move on to the next question. If it's anything later than Q12, double check to make sure, then move on.

crestor

Postby crestor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:02 pm

neprep wrote:This is something that's worked for me, although I don't know whom to give credit to, because all the LR advice from MLSAT and LRB and TLT and TLS are all sort of becoming a monolithic blob (in a good way, haha):

On these questions, I can eliminate 2 or 3 based on the fact that just ONE of the speakers mentions it, and the other doesn't even get close, so there's no way to figure out what the other person's opinion on it will be. Not the crux.

Of the remaining, the correct AC is one that one speaker will agree with and the other will disagree with. I eliminate (from the remaining two or three) ones that they will (i) probably both agree with and (ii) probably both disagree with. If what's left sounds like a generally defendable answer, move on to the next question. If it's anything later than Q12, double check to make sure, then move on.

Interesting. I don't think PT 69 had a two speaker stimulus crux question (not completely sure) but duly noted. Thanks.
Last edited by crestor on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neprep

Postby neprep » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:04 pm

crestor wrote:
neprep wrote:This is something that's worked for me, although I don't know whom to give credit to, because all the LR advice from MLSAT and LRB and TLT and TLS are all sort of becoming a monolithic blob (in a good way, haha):

Interesting. I don't think PT 70 had a two speaker stimulus crux question (not completely sure) but duly noted. Thanks.

Is this post coming from the future? IF NOT YOU KNOW TOO MUCH. :wink:

crestor

Postby crestor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:07 pm

neprep wrote:
crestor wrote:

Interesting. I don't think PT 70 had a two speaker stimulus crux question (not completely sure) but duly noted. Thanks.

Is this post coming from the future? IF NOT YOU KNOW TOO MUCH. :wink:

Lol

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:03 pm

I miss way too many disagreement questions.

I get the overlap thing and all that, but sometimes the inferences you gotta make for the right choice just go right over my head. Case in point is #23 on LR2 on PT66. I clearly saw why my wrong choice was wrong fairly quickly, but finding support for the right answer took much more focus.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:21 am

I think people might be talking about two different question types here.

For me, Crux questions have a prompt similar to, "The answer to which one of the following would be most helpful in evaluating the argument?"

It seems like some people are talking about what I would classify as disagree questions - "Which one of the following sums up the point at issue between Jamiroquai and Thelonius?"

neprep

Postby neprep » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:39 am

bp shinners wrote:I think people might be talking about two different question types here.

For me, Crux questions have a prompt similar to, "The answer to which one of the following would be most helpful in evaluating the argument?"

It seems like some people are talking about what I would classify as disagree questions - "Which one of the following sums up the point at issue between Jamiroquai and Thelonius?"

Ah, now crestor's response makes more sense.

Now that I'm looking at the OED, its primary figurative definition of crux is:
"A difficulty which it torments or troubles one greatly to interpret or explain, a thing that puzzles the ingenuity; as ‘a textual crux’," which is closer to what you're saying.

Its secondary definition is what I was thinking about while answering the OP:
"The chief problem; the central or decisive point at issue."

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/45327

crestor

Postby crestor » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:32 pm

bp shinners wrote:I think people might be talking about two different question types here.

It seems like some people are talking about what I would classify as disagree questions - "Which one of the following sums up the point
at issue between Jamiroquai and Thelonius?"

how would you approach the BP Crux questions?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:59 pm

crestor wrote:

It seems like some people are talking about what I would classify as disagree questions - "Which one of the following sums up the point

1) Find the conclusion
2) Find the relevant premises
3) Find the assumption
4) Find an answer choice (usually in the form of a question, Jeopardy-style), the answer to which would let you know if it is a good or a bad assumption.

crestor

Postby crestor » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:30 pm

bp shinners wrote:
crestor wrote:

1) Find the conclusion
2) Find the relevant premises
3) Find the assumption
4) Find an answer choice (usually in the form of a question, Jeopardy-style), the answer to which would let you know if it is a good or a bad assumption.

Gracias

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”