Test-Day techniques for someone who previously choked

alex24

Test-Day techniques for someone who previously choked

Postby alex24 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:13 am

Hi, this is my first post on this site. I previously scored a 163 on the June 2013 LSAT after averaging about 168 on PT's. I have been studying all summer and have recently received scores on practice tests including 175, 176, and several 173s. This question is not so much about studying techniques, it's more about getting advice about actually sitting for the exam while keeping the same level of performance. The problem is that now that I've had a taste of scores that could get me into good schools (my LSAC GPA is a 3.77), I would hate to have my score go down substantially again on the October test. I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks so much!

NYstate

Re: Test-Day techniques for someone who previously choked

Postby NYstate » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:31 pm

alex24 wrote:Hi, this is my first post on this site. I previously scored a 163 on the June 2013 LSAT after averaging about 168 on PT's. I have been studying all summer and have recently received scores on practice tests including 175, 176, and several 173s. This question is not so much about studying techniques, it's more about getting advice about actually sitting for the exam while keeping the same level of performance. The problem is that now that I've had a taste of scores that could get me into good schools (my LSAC GPA is a 3.77), I would hate to have my score go down substantially again on the October test. I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks so much!

Having taken the exam once will help you because you know what to expect.

I would practice some kind of relaxation/ breathing technique NOW as part of your PT. So that on the test day these will be familiar tools you can access to calm down when needed. You can practice them apart from the test too. But you need to be able to use them during the test. Maybe every 5 questions- deep breath - or some technique that works for you.

The point is to prevent panic. It is harder/ more effort to calm down than it is to stay calm.

lhn5007

Postby lhn5007 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:09 pm

alex24 wrote:Hi, this is my first post on this site. I previously scored a 163 on the June 2013 LSAT after averaging about 168 on PT's. I have been studying all summer and have recently received scores on practice tests including 175, 176, and several 173s. This question is not so much about studying techniques, it's more about getting advice about actually sitting for the exam while keeping the same level of performance. The problem is that now that I've had a taste of scores that could get me into good schools (my LSAC GPA is a 3.77), I would hate to have my score go down substantially again on the October test. I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks so much!

What was your mental state before and during the exam? Did you get enough sleep? Did you eat?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:17 pm

Just take it in October while telling yourself the October test doesn't matter at all since you can redo it in December. If you go into it feel like this is just a practice round, that might help. Or if you tell yourself you don't have to go to law school and this is just one of many options, that may lift the pressure.

neprep

Postby neprep » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:02 pm

cinephile wrote:Just take it in October while telling yourself the October test doesn't matter at all since you can redo it in December. If you go into it feel like this is just a practice round, that might help. Or if you tell yourself you don't have to go to law school and this is just one of many options, that may lift the pressure.

This worked like a charm on my SATs.

Also, I approve of your avatar.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Also, did you do practice tests under all kinds of conditions (in loud coffee shops and the like)? Getting blase about what's going on around you might help you relax on the real thing.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:54 pm

I know something that I have to clearly avoid is consuming too much coffee before the test - probably just a few gulps of it before the test will be sufficient for my purposes. I tend to slug a whole big cup of coffee at cafes while I'm PTing, and not only does it often make me anxious and mini-panic on difficult LR/RC q's, but it also makes me have to get up to piss frequently. And while I give myself the luxury of getting up to piss at the end of the 2nd section or even the 1st section on occasion while PTing, that's a luxury I won't have on test day. So if you give yourself 'free passes' like this while PTing, make sure to avoid the things that largely cause you to take those free passes. Having to dance around because you have to piss really bad doesn't help with the LSAT. I should note that I have forced myself to sit through sections while having to piss really bad, and it tends to knock my section scores down a point or two.

Anyway, I agree with everyone that mental state is the big thing for maximizing your potential. But in addition to that, consider the physical things that could hinder you too.

alex24

Postby alex24 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks for all your responses, I'll definitely focus on deep breathing and not putting too much mental importance on the test. The first time I took it I felt that I was almost trying too hard to try to be calm but didn't consciously focus on breathing deeply (I do notice that sometimes I hold my breath even during PT's--something to work on). I'll also try to limit coffee haha. Thank everyone!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”