Infamous/ hardest RC passages of all time Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
vuthy

Bronze

Re: Infamous/ hardest RC passages of all time

Post by vuthy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:38 pm

Am I the only one who has a really hard time remembering the content of RC (and LR), even right after I'm done? Like sometimes I'll sit down to do blind review a few hours after PT, and I think I grabbed the wrong test because the passages don't look familiar. I like to tell myself it's actually a good sign because it means I'm totally in a zone, reading for structure not substance, and basically just seeing 1s and 0s like the last scene of the Matrix. But other times I wonder if I have a brain tumor.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:57 pm

vuthy wrote:Am I the only one who has a really hard time remembering the content of RC (and LR), even right after I'm done? Like sometimes I'll sit down to do blind review a few hours after PT, and I think I grabbed the wrong test because the passages don't look familiar. I like to tell myself it's actually a good sign because it means I'm totally in a zone, reading for structure not substance, and basically just seeing 1s and 0s like the last scene of the Matrix. But other times I wonder if I have a brain tumor.
:lol: :lol:

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:47 pm

noguchi

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:02 am

Jeffort wrote:
jrsbaseball5 wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:
yeah, i remember that one
Amsden thought the chief white antelope blanket was really important historically so I made a point to remember that fact forever and even googled it one night when bored to see what the big deal was. It turns out it really was a pretty important blanket in the scheme of things. Who knew?
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=chief+white+antelope+blanket
Sometimes I feel like I learn things from the LSAT. Then I think that its just full of logical flaws and made up arguments and I feel like I'm being tricked.

I need this to end.
ha ha ha :P kinda like how you feel when in a love-hate relationship?

I've learned a ton of things I'd never otherwise have read about except in LSAT questions and find some of the stuff to be pretty interesting. I've come to the conclusion that the LSAT writers must watch a lot of the Discovery and related science channels. Frequently when I watch older Discovery channel shows there is stuff in them that I remember reading about in recent LR questions and/or RC passages.
That is exactly how I feel. I hate it, but I keep coming back for more :lol:

That's pretty interesting about the Discovery Channel shows. I can't wait until the new credited advice for improving the LSAT is to watch the Discovery channel haha.

There have been multiple occasions for the last few months where a topic will come up and I'll almost say something to add to the conversation and then suddenly realize I learned that from RC or LR sections. I need help.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:37 am

Lsac science falls into these categories like nine of ten times:
Smoking bad
Dinosaurs dead
Cholesterol unhealthy
Diabetes/Alzheimer's bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KingofSplitters55

Bronze

Post by KingofSplitters55 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:15 am

Jeffort wrote:
crestor wrote:what this thread is still missing is the asian-talk passage.
and the one about maize
I actually thought the maize one was quiet manageable. Then again I was feeling in a "science-cy" mode that day so perhaps my mind was better able to comprehend and deal with scientific terminology and relationships for that PT.

KingofSplitters55

Bronze

Post by KingofSplitters55 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:16 am

Clearly wrote:Lsac science falls into these categories like nine of ten times:
Smoking bad
Dinosaurs dead
Cholesterol unhealthy
Yes.

Cuneiform

New

Post by Cuneiform » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:13 pm

KingofSplitters55 wrote:
Smoking bad
Dinosaurs dead
Cholesterol unhealthy
Yes.
Don't forget:

Global warming bad
Saving endangered species good
Physics hard

Sometimes I feel like reading the LSAT guides is akin to a taking crash course in "High School Curricula: Select Notes and Readings."

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:15 pm

Cuneiform wrote:
KingofSplitters55 wrote:
Smoking bad
Dinosaurs dead
Cholesterol unhealthy
Yes.
Don't forget:

Global warming bad
Saving endangered species good
Physics hard

Sometimes I feel like reading the LSAT guides is akin to a taking crash course in "High School Curricula: Select Notes and Readings."
Also:

Speed limits good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Native American Basket Weaving and Hansel and Gretel turned my world upside down.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:49 pm

magickware wrote:RC is literally about just finding view points, breaking the passage down into little summary chunks so that you don't have to reread everything, and notating where the relevant examples are so that you can find them easily when/if you run into a question that asks for it.

It's quite stupid, really.
It's always good to see someone finally hit that moment of truth and clarity.

jcccc

Bronze

Post by jcccc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Riddled Basins. Devil of a passage.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:32 pm

I'm doing PT 50 today and you all are freaking me out about Basins of Attraction :/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bilbaosan

Bronze

Post by bilbaosan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:19 pm

mhaas wrote:Anything regarding literature puts me to sleep.
Second that. Those African-/Chinese-/Mexican-American poets/novelists/painters passages are putting me asleep as well. The only exception was Mexican mural art passage, which was quite interesting.

bobtheblob916

New

Post by bobtheblob916 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Passages about behavioral psych (there are several) always put me straight to sleep. It seems like an interesting topic, but the conclusions and discussions are always so vague and general. It's like you read 4 paragraphs and learn nothing conclusive. That always makes it harder to separate sides when it comes to answering questions.

The really dry legal stuff and sociology passages usually give me trouble as well. I majored in English, so whenever I see a passage on literature I do a little dance in my head. Writing any lit research paper involved scanning at least 20 articles a hell of a lot more specialized and obscure than the stuff on the LSAT.

Though I find myself getting LR questions on topics I know much about wrong now and then. Common sense can really hurt you in that section.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:18 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:52 pm

bee wrote:
jcccc wrote:Riddled Basins. Devil of a passage.
I generally miss 0/1 per RC section, sometimes -2 on really hard sections... I missed 2 in riddled basins alone. I actually ripped it out of the test booklet and pinned it to my wall to remind myself not to get overconfident with RC.

Hardest science passage of all time imho
I like the style

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:55 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:57 pm

bee wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:
bee wrote:
jcccc wrote:Riddled Basins. Devil of a passage.
I generally miss 0/1 per RC section, sometimes -2 on really hard sections... I missed 2 in riddled basins alone. I actually ripped it out of the test booklet and pinned it to my wall to remind myself not to get overconfident with RC.

Hardest science passage of all time imho
I like the style
I swear to god I reread it every now and again and I STILL don't really understand what exactly they're talking about.
I think I may do it for the 62 dental decay passage. Right now I have a few things up in my room to wake up to and indoctrinate myself subconsciously ("ISOLATE THE CONCLUSION" and "FIND THE FLAW" and "FIND THE INFERENCES FIRST").. I got bored and procrastinated studying one day, but some more papers may be joining the wall soon...

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:09 pm

bee wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:I think I may do it for the 62 dental decay passage. Right now I have a few things up in my room to wake up to and indoctrinate myself subconsciously ("ISOLATE THE CONCLUSION" and "FIND THE FLAW" and "FIND THE INFERENCES FIRST").. I got bored and procrastinated studying one day, but some more papers may be joining the wall soon...
Are you talking about the caries passage? I remember it very well, which is always a bad sign. I thought that was a weird one. WTF is the LSAT doing with a passage on ancient dental decay.
That one. Yeah, I was so confused by carbohydrates vs. corn vs. decay, just didn't like it. It was also in the middle of PT 62, and after LG, so...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:12 pm

December 2011 was a super bitch (soil)
vuthy wrote:
crestor wrote:
vuthy wrote:If you're talking passages, none. If you're talking questions after passages, the Dutch agricultural experiment thistle thing from somewhere in the 60s.
ceteris paribus?
Oh my god. Seriously?
:lol:

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:31 am

magickware wrote:To be honest, I don't remember a word about any RC I read until I go back and do it again.

At first it was a burden, but now that I recognized something about RC, it's actually a plus.

RC is literally about just finding view points, breaking the passage down into little summary chunks so that you don't have to reread everything, and notating where the relevant examples are so that you can find them easily when/if you run into a question that asks for it.

It's quite stupid, really
Late to this, but I am printing this out and putting it on my wall. Deceptively simple.

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:58 pm

Riddled basins was bad. Off the top of my head, the one about the (Japanese?) sculptor who created a new technique having something to do with reflection?...that one was bad. Also, the one mathematics one having to due with fractal geometry or whatever. The one about the earth's magnetic fields was really hard. The one from the most recent (June) test on photography had a really strange structure and was generally pretty difficult, I thought.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Off the top of my head, the one about the (Japanese?) sculptor who created a new technique having something to do with reflection?...that one was bad.
Isamu Noguchi. They threw some chemistry/materials science in there to confuse you. Look up the actual sculpture, and you'll see how ridiculous the entire thing is. He made a head out of shiny metal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”