Odd Advice: Take two practice sections before real LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Bronx Bum

Bronze

Odd Advice: Take two practice sections before real LSAT?

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:50 am

A person I know said that this is a way to "warm up the mind." Has anyone tried it? He said to wake up, take two practice sections, then go into the real thing.

I think this is terrible advice. But he got a 175 and just graduated from CLS.

dowu

Platinum

Re: Odd Advice: Take two practice sections before real LSAT?

Post by dowu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:58 am

Bronx Bum wrote:A person I know said that this is a way to "warm up the mind." Has anyone tried it? He said to wake up, take two practice sections, then go into the real thing.

It's all a matter of opinion. Most people advocate to work through one section of LR and one or two LGs UNTIMED, and not to grade yourself.

The LSAT is long as hell. I wouldn't push it, but a warm-up is definitely necessary.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:33 pm

My approach:

favorite game untimed

easy reading comp section untimed

1-10 of a LR section untimed

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:37 pm

I recommend 10 LR questions that you got wrong from your first practice tests but now you understand, and one easy game that you have on lock. DO NOT try new stuff on game day to warm up. It also skip any RC because that is just going to tire you out.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:38 pm

I had success doing 8 or so LR questions, 1 game I am very comfortable with that I may have struggled with early in my studies, and no RC. Reading RC doesn't prep me for the RC section any more than doing LR does.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pancakes12

Bronze

Post by Pancakes12 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:41 pm

I did about 8 LR questions, 1 game, and 1 reading passage the morning before my exam. Just as a warm up to get in the right mindset.

And they were all new material.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:53 pm

I plan to do 2 LGs, which is my normal PT warmup.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:23 pm

I plan on praying to a various bunch of religious entities that I will not get an experimental LG

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:29 pm

crestor wrote:I plan on praying to a various bunch of religious entities that I will not get an experimental LG
This.

I may have come to being adept at LG and I can certainly say that I'm infinitely more proficient in this section I thought I'd be 2 months ago, but I will never prefer it to RC or LR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:38 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:A person I know said that this is a way to "warm up the mind." Has anyone tried it? He said to wake up, take two practice sections, then go into the real thing.

It's great advice. It has little to do with "warming up the mind" (although the person you know is wrong about that too). It has to do with reassuring yourself that you can do the work when you are stressed. It's just psychological preparation.

edit: I would time and I would check your answers. But keep it to 4 or 5 LR questions and 1 or 2 LG games. If you are in the zone, you'll be sucking all the glucose into your brain as you can. You might even experience some lightheartedness halfway through the test. Some raisins will help that. But don't start the test so drained that you get exhausted before it's over. So do take it easy on the warmup. But it has to be timed and checked because that accomplishes the psychological purpose of the warmup--prove to yourself that you can hit your target under stress.

It's kind of like a physical warmup. When a batter gets ready to swing, he's just very gently moving his arms as he expects them to move when he's at bat. He's not actually warming up--his muscles are fine. He's been playing for several innings. He is just mentally confirming his stroke before he gets to the plate.

edit: You might make mistakes in your warmup. I did. Just refocus and redo. Just get the stroke right. If you make your first boneheaded mistakes during the actual test, you could spiral out of control and never recover. Use the warmup as a chance to get a grip before the test starts.
Last edited by manofjustice on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

magickware

Bronze

Post by magickware » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:40 pm

Lg exp over RC any day for me.

Less stressful for the mind.

mhaas

Bronze

Post by mhaas » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Masturbation before the test is proven to produce results.

KingofSplitters55

Bronze

Post by KingofSplitters55 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:23 pm

I agree with the idea of doing some questions untimed from each section before the actual test.

I tried that on a few PT's - definitely did a LOT better on them when I did the untimed questions beforehand than when I simply sat down and did the PT without the warm-up questions. In my opinion the likely cause of this was that the practice questions made me get into 'the mode'/activated those neural pathways.

As a former cross country and track runner, I believe the methods are similar - before a big race we often did a few warm-up laps first around the course (sometimes even doing the entire course once through before the actual race through the course) because it gets your body warmed-up and activated. People who simply ran without any warm-up always got lots of cramps and whatnot. Same with the LSAT (except replace stomach cramps with brain cramps lol).

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:53 pm

1 RC passage, 10 LR questions and one game section is my warm-up plan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”