38 days out...

aesth24

38 days out...

Postby aesth24 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:55 pm

so a little over a month before we take our beloved LSAT. whether it's a retake or your first time, I'm just curious as to what everyone's strategy for the next 30 days are. are you guys strictly PTing, drilling and PTing, or still learning new material?

i've been drilling for the last couple weeks on my weaknesses along with doing timed sections. i feel like it's time to start doing full PTs and then review them thoroughly afterwards.

mhaas

Re: 38 days out...

Postby mhaas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:09 am

My game plan is to PT, identify my weaknesses with LSATQA, then attack those weaknesses with cambridge packets. Rinse and repeat. Hoping to firm up another point or two in the next month.

akg144

Postby akg144 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:59 am

PT everyday baby -- use LSATQA to identify trends and weaknesses, then go over answers in depth on Manhattan forums.

jb1

Postby jb1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:08 am

Same as above... PT every other day and drill the question types I missed on off days

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 am

jb1 wrote:Same as above... PT every other day and drill the question types I missed on off days

+1 my plan as well, stay strong everyone.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:23 am

Personal advice/experience: don't stress out too much and overdo the PTing. It's a ridiculously important test -- but your future doesn't ride on it -- as you can always take December if October doesn't go as well.

I plan on doing about 2 PT's a week, with some sections on days I can't PT. Also, finishing up the LSAT Trainer. About a week out just relaxing (I also work FT, but a relaxing laid back job) with an occasional section to keep me thinking.

Oh, also, getting into an early sleep and wake up schedule. I want me brain to be up by 8:30. Started doing this gradually (sleep 1-8 now instead of the 2-9 I used to do), but will really start doing earlier soon.

bbkk

Postby bbkk » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:26 am

akg144 wrote:PT everyday baby -- use LSATQA to identify trends and weaknesses, then go over answers in depth on Manhattan forums.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:36 am

Wow, people are actually going to PT every single day? Yeesh

mhaas

Postby mhaas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:40 am

jk148706 wrote:Wow, people are actually going to PT every single day? Yeesh

You can bet your bottom dollar

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:19 am

If you have the time, then it's a good idea.

It makes the test you take on test day merely another practice session in terms of exertion.

The only thing you have to make sure you're doing is reviewing properly.

Postby 062914123 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:39 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:34 pm

Staying calm. It's my 3rd take and over the next month, I'm doing 3 PTs and about 25 drills between LR and RC. I'll probably also retake some of the more recent PTs that I took prepping for my last 2 tests.

I'm on the "don't stress out boat" after PTing in the mid 170s going into June and then being so nervous on the actual exam that I rushed and misread about 8-9 questions. I'm just going to take it easy now and do my best. This isn't the best approach for people with like 5-10 PTs under their belt, but I think it's the way to go for people who are close to exhausting the prep material.

mhaas

Postby mhaas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:06 pm

bee wrote:
magickware wrote:

It makes the test you take on test day merely another practice session in terms of exertion.

I'm going to be PTing 3 times a week (can't every day due to work) and drilling weaknesses on my off days.

Q for those who are planning to PT everyday--are you afraid of burning out? That's a HUGE volume of tests (but then again, I suppose you aren't technically doing any more questions than you would drilling).

I'm guessing people define "burning out" as an extreme case of not wanting to study anymore due to excessive study? If that's the case, that happens to me everyday usually around my third question.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:08 pm

PT 3x a week, plus working through the LSAT trainer.

Postby 062914123 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:11 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:15 pm

bee wrote:
magickware wrote:

I'm going to be PTing 3 times a week (can't every day due to work) and drilling weaknesses on my off days.

Q for those who are planning to PT everyday--are you afraid of burning out? That's a HUGE volume of tests (but then again, I suppose you aren't technically doing any more questions than you would drilling).

I don't actually believe in the way burn-out is used around here.

If you get burnt out studying for 6-8 hours everyday, then how on Earth do you plan on getting by at your workplace later down the road?

I understand that you're not sitting down and studying/working for the entire time while you're at work at some company or whatnot. You do have the time to take short breaks, shift tasks, and mull around and not give a 100% the entire time. But the fact of the matter is that you're still sitting down and doing work with at least 50% effort through your workday.

I instead equate said burn-out with people who just don't have enough willpower/mental strength/desire. But that may just be me getting angry at myself for having a hard time studying for 6-7 hours straight too, so meh.

But when you have people who worked for 12 hours straight in their workplace with seemingly no loss in productivity (Koreans in the 60s-80s), then I strongly believe that desire and conviction that what you're doing is useful and/or beneficial trumps all.

Besides, a full PT is exactly 2hr 55min + the 15 min break if you take the entire break time (I don't, I normally just take 10 minutes before I get bored by the break and go back to it), and then another 2-3 hours reviewing. The only thing that really matters in terms of time constraint is the PT. You can do the review spread across the entire day if you want.

That's less than the time you spent in your daily high school routine. You're an adult now, you can do better than you did back in high school.

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:18 pm

bee wrote:
mhaas wrote:I'm guessing people define "burning out" as an extreme case of not wanting to study anymore due to excessive study? If that's the case, that happens to me everyday usually around my third question.

Happens to me as well, but I think when people say burning out they usually mean seeing a drop in scores due to mental exhaustion/stress/what have you.

Happens to me with every RC section.

I really need to get over that quickly.

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Finish up the LSAT Trainer and take at most three PT's per week. I think more than three is burn-out status.

I just need to drill the hell out of LR on my off days, probably do two sections of LR and a section of RC on off-days.

mhaas

Postby mhaas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:44 pm

magickware wrote:
bee wrote:
mhaas wrote:I'm guessing people define "burning out" as an extreme case of not wanting to study anymore due to excessive study? If that's the case, that happens to me everyday usually around my third question.

Happens to me as well, but I think when people say burning out they usually mean seeing a drop in scores due to mental exhaustion/stress/what have you.

Happens to me with every RC section.

I really need to get over that quickly.

There are a lot of RC strategies available from prep companies. I truly think the most effective method is just to gather yourself before the section and give it 100% of your attention and to not let your mind wander during the read. Having said that, I realize this is easier said than done.

crestor

Postby crestor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Have fun doing a pt a day. I start fucking up if I do 2 within days lol. Quality over quantity for me I guess.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:03 pm

For anybody who is battling burn-out, I strongly suggest doing the Cambridge Difficult LR packet and the RC by type and difficulty PT 1-20 packet.

For the Difficult LR packet, it will take over 35 minutes to do 25 questions at first, but it really gets you prepped for doing a full LR section in the alotted time and it's a much better prep than doing "marathon sections" that are longer than usual or only giving yourself 30 minutes since these strategies cause you to rush.

RC by type and difficulty allows you to start at easy passages and then gradually work up to the difficult ones. I'm about halfway through the packet and I haven't noticed any increase in difficulty, but my RC skills have definitely improved since the June test.

I'm also against doing more than 2 PTs in a week unless LSAT prep is your full time job. PTs don't help much unless you really learn from your mistakes and that you make and doing a PT every day or two makes you rush through and won't give your mind a chance to learn and improve.

aesth24

Postby aesth24 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:18 pm

on PT days, how much time do you spend that same day reviewing? or do you PT and then call it a day?

LSATExpedition

Postby LSATExpedition » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:22 am

magickware wrote:
bee wrote:
magickware wrote:

If you get burnt out studying for 6-8 hours everyday, then how on Earth do you plan on getting by at your workplace later down the road?

I understand that you're not sitting down and studying/working for the entire time while you're at work at some company or whatnot. You do have the time to take short breaks, shift tasks, and mull around and not give a 100% the entire time. But the fact of the matter is that you're still sitting down and doing work with at least 50% effort through your workday.

I instead equate said burn-out with people who just don't have enough willpower/mental strength/desire. But that may just be me getting angry at myself for having a hard time studying for 6-7 hours straight too, so meh.

But when you have people who worked for 12 hours straight in their workplace with seemingly no loss in productivity (Koreans in the 60s-80s), then I strongly believe that desire and conviction that what you're doing is useful and/or beneficial trumps all.

Besides, a full PT is exactly 2hr 55min + the 15 min break if you take the entire break time (I don't, I normally just take 10 minutes before I get bored by the break and go back to it), and then another 2-3 hours reviewing. The only thing that really matters in terms of time constraint is the PT. You can do the review spread across the entire day if you want.

That's less than the time you spent in your daily high school routine. You're an adult now, you can do better than you did back in high school.

This is exactly how I feel as well. I'm taking 2 PTs a day with a 3-hour break between each one. Need to get to in the 170s range in two weeks or less. So I'm giving it my all

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:24 am

magickware wrote:
bee wrote:
magickware wrote:

Of course, here you are assuming that some of us don't have other, full-time responsibilities preventing us from spending 6 hours studying the LSAT in a day. After 8 hours working, 3 hours of PT every night is impossible.

magickware

Postby magickware » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:27 am

rebexness wrote:Of course, here you are assuming that some of us don't have other, full-time responsibilities preventing us from spending 6 hours studying the LSAT in a day. After 8 hours working, 3 hours of PT every night is impossible.

Which is why I wrote in an earlier post that, assuming you have the time, I don't see why you can't take a PT a day.

If you're working full-time, then of course you can't.

I'm referring mostly to folks who are studying the LSAT full-time, but seemingly can't put more than 6 hours in before they start getting scared that they'll burn out or something.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”