First PT...what now Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mkania

New

First PT...what now

Post by mkania » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:33 pm

So I have been studying like two weeks. I want to take the October Test if I can get above a 165, if not I'll wait til December. I bough the Kaplan 2014 book a few weeks ago, and have been studying basically daily. Although I heard Kaplan's book isnt the way to go? But I have done alot of work in Logic Games, and took my first PT today and scored a 158. -5 on Logic games, while allowing myself extra time. -9 on RC. -7 and -5 on the LR

If I want to improve is my best bet to get a different book other than Kaplan?
Obviously I plan to practice alot more no matter what, but is it worth investing in another book/other materials.

magickware

Bronze

Re: First PT...what now

Post by magickware » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:39 pm

It isn't. Well, it is if you want to get in the low 60s (which is presumably the target audience for Kaplan, etc given what the book says), but I don't know what your target score is.

If you want to improve, you need to get better books (PS and MLSAT at the minimum), and you need to study for at least a couple of months. The least amount of time (and this assumes that you're a run of the mill person who didn't waste their education in college or some shit), is 3-4 months. Most people take 6-9 months or more, depending on circumstance.

And ask yourself this- If you get a high LSAT score, you either get to-

A) Get into a considerably better law school that isn't a waste of your time/money and actually nets you a decent job.
B) Get you into a decent law school with scholarship money that is worth thousands of times more than whatever you're spending on your LSAT prep.

I figure you should be able to answer your own question with this.

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:22 am

As far as LSAT goes Kaplan is garbage. I agree with the above poster-- get the PowerScore LG and LR bibles and the entire Manhattan LSAT series. Once you get through each chapter drill what you just learned with Cambridge packets.

mhaas

Bronze

Post by mhaas » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:33 am

I'd wait until December if I were you. I prepped for the June administration using only Kaplan material. I found it hard to immerse myself in them and made little to no gains. I regrouped in July and discovered NoodleyOne's guide on this site and it has given me a solid 10+ point increase on PT's in just a couple months. It is based on the material jaylawyer put forward (PS, MLSAT, Cambridge).

Link to NoodleyOne's guide: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=195603

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”