Yell at me to study for a third retake

A Parliment of Owls

Yell at me to study for a third retake

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:26 pm

I did the most recent 30 preptests + did the rest of them by q type before my June retake and was PTing at 179+ Choked on the test and got a low 17X

I know I really should retake in October, but I retook Ptest 46 (last taken 4 months ago according to LSATQA) and I still had a pretty decent memory of the questions, especially the hard ones. Ended up finishing each section in 25min (much lower than my normal 32min average) -- so obviously I do remember them.

Also, I'm working a full time job and a part time job + am sick of the LSAT and don't want to go through it again.

Finally, I already have a full scholarship offer to an MVD

Please remind me of how one more month of pain is worth it if I manage to get a 176+

TLDR:
I'm out of study material and need a reminder of how unicorns will carry me to Valhalla if I get a 180.

Clearly

Re: Yell at me to study for a third retake

Postby Clearly » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:29 pm

A Parliment of Owls wrote:I did the most recent 30 preptests + did the rest of them by q type before my June retake and was PTing at 179+ Choked on the test and got a low 17X

I know I really should retake in October, but I retook Ptest 46 (last taken 4 months ago according to LSATQA) and I still had a pretty decent memory of the questions, especially the hard ones. Ended up finishing each section in 25min (much lower than my normal 32min average) -- so obviously I do remember them.

Also, I'm working a full time job and a part time job + am sick of the LSAT and don't want to go through it again.

Please remind me of how one more month of pain is worth it if I manage to get a 176+

TLDR:
I'm out of study material and need a reminder of how unicorns will carry me to Valhalla if I get a 180.

I need to know your GPA and specifically what 170 score you earned.

Postby 062914123 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 04102014 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:31 pm

A Parliment of Owls wrote:I did the most recent 30 preptests + did the rest of them by q type before my June retake and was PTing at 179+ Choked on the test and got a low 17X

TLDR:

Lol at MVD. I didn't know that was a thing now.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:32 pm

MVD?

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:33 pm

TLDR:

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. "low 17X," though, isn't really descriptive enough IMO-- there's a huge difference between a 170 and a 173, especially in terms of if it would be worth it to retake. I'm retaking after already taking 2 times and PTing at 175+, but I choked and got a 167...

Are you remembering the answers, or just remembering how to set up each question for LG and how to approach the others? If the latter, since you've already done so much studying, I don't think that's such a bad thing -- it's not like each question is radically different, so I wouldn't worry as much.

What's your GPA? And is the full scholarship offer contingent upon you starting now, or did you already defer?

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:34 pm

Are you saying you have a full ride to one of Michigan, Virginia, Duke?

A Parliment of Owls

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:34 pm

GPA is 3.9+

MVD have more similar employment stats for what I want (Biglaw)

$$$ is for 2014

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:38 pm

A higher LSAT can open doors at better schools, so if you want that then just retake the test. You'd be giving yourself more options, at least.

A full ride at T14 isn't a bad place to be so I can understand your hesitation (laziness?).

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:43 pm

I would let LSN data be my guide. Maybe just applying earlier would get you in up the food chain.

A Parliment of Owls

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:46 pm

IAFG wrote:I would let LSN data be my guide. Maybe just applying earlier would get you in up the food chain.

Was looking for something a bit harsher. Come on 0ls where the sociopaths at?

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:47 pm

What was the 'low' 170s LSAT? 170-172 or 173/174

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:48 pm

A Parliment of Owls wrote:
IAFG wrote:I would let LSN data be my guide. Maybe just applying earlier would get you in up the food chain.

There's something to be said for just getting on with your damn life.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:50 pm

With a 3.9 and 2 takes with $$$ to MVP, I would likely retake a 170, consider a retake at 171. 172 and there's no way I would push myself to do it.

A Parliment of Owls

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:52 pm

IAFG wrote:

You sound like all my friends... Does that make me the sociopath?

t-14orbust wrote:What was the 'low' 170s LSAT? 170-172 or 173/174

Trying (but probably failing) to not self identify. But for the sake of argument lets say I would get into H but not Y and can't apply for full rides to CCN with my current score.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:55 pm

IAFG wrote:

You sound like all my friends... Does that make me the sociopath?

t-14orbust wrote:What was the 'low' 170s LSAT? 170-172 or 173/174

Trying (but probably failing) to not self identify. But for the sake of argument lets say I would get into H but not Y and can't apply for full rides to CCN with my current score.

Well then our numbers are pretty similar. I've also been considering retaking december for a better shot at Y and full-ride at CC. Still not entirely sure what to do since I've also used up most of my materials. For now I'm going to finish my PS and other app materials and then submit everywhere except for Y lol. Then I'll look into retaking

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:56 pm

If you still don't get into Y or CCN full rides, you'll be mad.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:01 pm

I'd probably just start studying instead of seeking attention on the Internet.

A Parliment of Owls

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Since my situation is pretty unique I should have probably mentioned PM for details.

That said, pretend its an LSAT fact pattern.

If I retake it has to be October. Everything else I could conceivably do re law school applications has already been done.

So -- is HY or scholarships at CCN that much better than MV(D) full scholarships. And if you think so then I should be studying 2 hours a day.

A Parliment of Owls

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:03 pm

ImNoScar wrote:I'd probably just start studying instead of seeking attention on the Internet.

Now that's what I'm talking about

Also, love your username.
Last edited by A Parliment of Owls on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:03 pm

A Parliment of Owls wrote:Since my situation is pretty unique I should have probably mentioned PM for details.

That said, pretend its an LSAT fact pattern.

If I retake it has to be October. Everything else I could conceivably do re law school applications has already been done.

So -- is HY or scholarships at CCN that much better than MV(D) full scholarships. And if you think so then I should be studying 2 hours a day.

Well, yeah, a full-ride at CCN is better than a full-ride at MVD

mosessta

Postby mosessta » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Man up and take it again. Unless, of course, you're too afraid of choking again on test day. You don't need anyone here to tell you what the stakes are. You need to sit down and ask yourself whether or not you want to be a man and put in the blood sweat and tears to finally conquer the beast that bested you last time out.

mhaas

Postby mhaas » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:40 pm

TLDR:

"Study for a third retake!"

"One more month of pain is worth it if you manage to get a 176+!"

"Unicorns will carry you to Valhalla if you get a 180!"

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:42 pm

If you were PTing at 179 I don't know how much "pain" it would be to study for October... Just brush up and knock the rust off, and make sure you don't choke this time. You have obviously worked hard to get where you are (were), so you're already capable of scoring well. How close to testing conditions did you PT? If they weren't too close to game day conditions I would focus on that-- making sure you are as comfortable as possible walking into the Oct test. That would be my take at least. Have confidence in knowing that you are capable of doing so well and do it.

surferkid

Postby surferkid » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:58 pm

It sounds like your problem is one of nerves rather than skill. In my opinion more studying isn't really going to help you. Just take it again with the mindset that you have nothing to lose, because you already have a score and a lot of options that many people would sell their left nut for. Hell your pting at 179+. Your a fucking monster!! Take a few days off before the test to clear your head. Listen to your favorite pump up songs on your drive there. Go in full of well earned confidence, make the test your bitch just like you did to all those practice tests, and enjoy Yale.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”