help me with this question,thank you!PT 52-1-18

lester6215

help me with this question,thank you!PT 52-1-18

Postby lester6215 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:50 am

18. Journalist: Recent studies have demonstrated that a regular smoker who has just smoked a cigarette will typically display significantly better short-term memory skills than a nonsmoker, whether or not the nonsmoker has
also just smoked a cigarette for the purposes of the study.Moreover, the majority of those smokers who exhibit this superiority in shortterm memory skills will do so for at least eight hours after having last smoked.
If the journalist’s statements are true, then each of the following could be true EXCEPT:
(A) The short-term memory skills exhibited by a nonsmoker who has just smoked a cigarette are usually substantially worse than the shortterm memory skills exhibited by a nonsmoker who has not recently smoked a cigarette.
(B) The short-term memory skills exhibited by a nonsmoker who has just smoked a cigaretteare typically superior to those exhibited by a regular smoker who has just smoked a cigarette.
(C) The short-term memory skills exhibited by a nonsmoker who has just smoked a cigarette are typically superior to those exhibited by a regular smoker who has not smoked for more than eight hours.
(D) A regular smoker who, immediately after smoking a cigarette, exhibits short-term memory skills no better than those typically exhibited by a nonsmoker is nevertheless likely to exhibit superior short-term memory skills in the hours following a period of heavy smoking.
(E) The short-term memory skills exhibited by a regular smoker who last smoked a cigarette five hours ago are typically superior to those exhibited by a regular smoker who has just smoked a cigarette.
I want to know why D is false.
I think the half sentence of D is wrong "A regular smoker who, immediately after smoking a cigarette, exhibits short-term memory skills no better than those typically exhibited by a nonsmoker"
can you help me?

dp714

Re: help me with this question,thank you!PT 52-1-18

Postby dp714 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:59 pm

I just did this section last night and this was one of the questions I had marked it to review after finishing the section. I had gotten it correct, but wasn't completely confident due to it taking a bit longer than necessary.

If you don't mind a little extra reading, here's my thought process as I answered this question:

Question Stem: Basically, I need to find the answer that MUST BE FALSE based on the information in the stimulus.

Takeaways from the Stimulus: 1) Regular smokers, immediately after smoking a cig, will usually display better memory skills than a non-smoker (*regardless of whether or not that person smoked for the experiment). 2) Most of those regular smokers, who do display better skills right away, will probably continue to for at least 8 hours after the fact.

-The info presented was fairly straightforward and I expected the answer to be something that directly contradicts one/both of the main points from the stimulus (above). So with that, I decided to eliminate the choices that did not contradict anything that was mentioned.

A) Compares two non smokers. Because the stimulus only talks about a regular smoker and a nonsmoker. Eliminate.
B) This is in exact contradiction of the first statement in the stimulus and I expected it was the right answer. Kept it and moved on.
C) This seems like it's a contradiction but it really isn't. The stimulus doesn't discuss a nonsmoker, immediately after smoking, vs a regular smoker, hours after smoking. Eliminate.
D) Though the stimulus only mentions that regular smokers, who immediately did display better skills immediately, would perform better in the hours afterwards, that does not exclude the possibility of regular smokers, who did NOT display better skills immediately, would also continue to do so for hours afterward. Eliminate.
*I remember being a bit flustered reading this and the other choices trying to figure em out, but wasn't confident in the heat of the moment. I tend to get bogged down when there are too subtle differences between the choices and the stimulus.*
E) Regular smoker vs Regular smoker isn't mentioned in the stim. Eliminated

B was the only one left that clearly couldn't be true, given the stimulus. I did spend more time than I would have liked to eliminating the wrong answers though, and it's what caused me to not finish the section as quickly as I wanted to. Anyway, I know it's more than you asked for, but I thought I'd post it just to help and also to make sure I'm on the right track as well.

SilvermanBarPrep

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:13 pm

This is a difficult question, but the answer lies entirely in the first line of the stimulus. Keep in mind that we have to assume as true the statements by the journalist. As such, we have to assume as true that a regular smoker who has just smoked a cigarette will typically display significantly better short-term memory skills than a nonsmoker, whether or not the nonsmoker has
also just smoked a cigarette.

Choice B says that the short-term memory skills exhibited by a nonsmoker who has just smoked a cigarette are typically superior to those exhibited by a regular smoker who has just smoked a cigarette. This contradicts what we have to assume as true; namely, that even if the nonsmoker has just smoked a cigarette, the smoker's short term memory after smoking a cigarette will be superior to the nonsmoker. And because choice B contradicts what's stated in the stimulus, it can't be true, and is therefore the correct response.

Sean

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:43 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:
Sean

Who the heck are you?

SilvermanBarPrep

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:17 pm

New to the forum. :D

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:13 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:New to the forum. :D

Welcome. Feel free to contact Dre with any questions regarding what pencil to use for the LSAT and the effects that ejaculation can have on learning.

lester6215

Postby lester6215 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:26 am

dp714 wrote:I just did this section last night and this was one of the questions I had marked it to review after finishing the section. I had gotten it correct, but wasn't completely confident due to it taking a bit longer than necessary.

If you don't mind a little extra reading, here's my thought process as I answered this question:

Question Stem: Basically, I need to find the answer that MUST BE FALSE based on the information in the stimulus.

Takeaways from the Stimulus: 1) Regular smokers, immediately after smoking a cig, will usually display better memory skills than a non-smoker (*regardless of whether or not that person smoked for the experiment). 2) Most of those regular smokers, who do display better skills right away, will probably continue to for at least 8 hours after the fact.

-The info presented was fairly straightforward and I expected the answer to be something that directly contradicts one/both of the main points from the stimulus (above). So with that, I decided to eliminate the choices that did not contradict anything that was mentioned.

A) Compares two non smokers. Because the stimulus only talks about a regular smoker and a nonsmoker. Eliminate.
B) This is in exact contradiction of the first statement in the stimulus and I expected it was the right answer. Kept it and moved on.
C) This seems like it's a contradiction but it really isn't. The stimulus doesn't discuss a nonsmoker, immediately after smoking, vs a regular smoker, hours after smoking. Eliminate.
D) Though the stimulus only mentions that regular smokers, who immediately did display better skills immediately, would perform better in the hours afterwards, that does not exclude the possibility of regular smokers, who did NOT display better skills immediately, would also continue to do so for hours afterward. Eliminate.
*I remember being a bit flustered reading this and the other choices trying to figure em out, but wasn't confident in the heat of the moment. I tend to get bogged down when there are too subtle differences between the choices and the stimulus.*
E) Regular smoker vs Regular smoker isn't mentioned in the stim. Eliminated

B was the only one left that clearly couldn't be true, given the stimulus. I did spend more time than I would have liked to eliminating the wrong answers though, and it's what caused me to not finish the section as quickly as I wanted to. Anyway, I know it's more than you asked for, but I thought I'd post it just to help and also to make sure I'm on the right track as well.

oh!thank you. I just misunderstand the D. " immediately after smoking a cigarette, exhibits short-term memory skills no better than those typically exhibited by a nonsmoker" is applied to the special one smoker!! really help me. thank you very much

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”