Wait til December test, or take both October and December?

Borscht is Best

Wait til December test, or take both October and December?

Postby Borscht is Best » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:47 am

Hi TLSers, I've been lurking around these forums for a few months, but I need some advice from those who're willing to spare it.

I took my first LSAT 3 years ago. I went in guns blazing, but without any ammunition, and ended up scoring a whopping 148.

Now I've been prepping for a few months, mostly drilling, but as for the few PTs I have taken I've been scoring in the 165-170 range. I'm aiming for 171+

I've heard that multiple scores will not affect attendence, but that it could have an effect on scholarship $$.

On the other hand, if I wait for the december test, there are two problems:

1 - I'd be applying pretty late in the process, which may affect my chances of attendence at t14
2 - There'd be a greater chance that I get a "bad" test, in the sense that it could attack my biggest weaknesses (convoluted Sci RC, parallel reasoning). If I took both the October and December tests, then that chance is cut in half.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Toby Ziegler

Re: Wait til December test, or take both October and December?

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:53 am

When are you planning on applying? This cycle starting here in a few weeks, or next cycle? If you are applying next cycle I wouldn't waste the extra money and just take the December LSAT, and you still have Feb. and/or June to retake. But if you are planning to apply this cycle, depending on your GPA, you should do everything you can to get your PT average up to where you want it, and take ASAP, so you can get your apps in as soon as possible. But if you have a high GPA and you are gunning for HYS TLS wisdom says applying early doesn't give you any advantage.

Borscht is Best

Postby Borscht is Best » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:37 am

Travis12 wrote:When are you planning on applying? This cycle starting here in a few weeks, or next cycle? If you are applying next cycle I wouldn't waste the extra money and just take the December LSAT, and you still have Feb. and/or June to retake. But if you are planning to apply this cycle, depending on your GPA, you should do everything you can to get your PT average up to where you want it, and take ASAP, so you can get your apps in as soon as possible. But if you have a high GPA and you are gunning for HYS TLS wisdom says applying early doesn't give you any advantage.

GPA: 3.58, nothing spectacular

I'm planning to apply this cycle, but I'm not aiming for HYS. UVA is my reach school, if not UVA then Georgetown.

So it seems applying early is keen. I was hoping to apply this cycle with just my December LSAT scores, but if that's not a prudent decision, I'll take both tests.

Questions-
1: When I apply for schools early (in mid October) will they still receive my December LSAT scores?

2: Assuming that one's December scores are higher than one's October scores, what purpose do they (December scores) serve? Pull you out of waitlists, get you scholarship $, something like that?

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Borscht is Best wrote:
Travis12 wrote:When are you planning on applying? This cycle starting here in a few weeks, or next cycle? If you are applying next cycle I wouldn't waste the extra money and just take the December LSAT, and you still have Feb. and/or June to retake. But if you are planning to apply this cycle, depending on your GPA, you should do everything you can to get your PT average up to where you want it, and take ASAP, so you can get your apps in as soon as possible. But if you have a high GPA and you are gunning for HYS TLS wisdom says applying early doesn't give you any advantage.

GPA: 3.58, nothing spectacular

I'm planning to apply this cycle, but I'm not aiming for HYS. UVA is my reach school, if not UVA then Georgetown.

So it seems applying early is keen. I was hoping to apply this cycle with just my December LSAT scores, but if that's not a prudent decision, I'll take both tests.

Questions-
1: When I apply for schools early (in mid October) will they still receive my December LSAT scores?

2: Assuming that one's December scores are higher than one's October scores, what purpose do they (December scores) serve? Pull you out of waitlists, get you scholarship $, something like that?

Well you have pretty good odds at UVa, seemingly with $$, if you can get a 170:

http://mylsn.info/dfhhul

Especially with their median GPA dropping to a 169 this year, a 170 will go a long way.
So do everything you can to get to that 170 mark on game day. If you are not going -0 on LG make sure you re-read the PS LG bible, MLG guide, or whatever you used, or pick up one of the previously listed if you haven't used them. If you are seriously studying for a 170+ you shouldn't take the LSAT before you can go -0 on LG, but you have plenty of time before Oct. to get there (this is all assuming you aren't going -0 already).

If you are PT'ing 165-170 just study your trouble areas and grind out the errors, and get you average up! Then enjoy Charlottesville with a scholarship! :D

ETA Yes schools will still receive your Dec. LSAT you will be required to make that addition to your application-- this is assuming they don't reject you before you receive your scores back.

If your December score is higher it will replace your previous score for the most part. Since schools don't have to average LSAT's anymore no one but HYS care about any score but your highest.

But all of this would be completely mitigated by 6 weeks of intense study and getting that 170+!

Borscht is Best

Postby Borscht is Best » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Back to the grind.....

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”