LSAT Score From Feb. 2010: In which cycle does it expire?

thatsnotmyname

LSAT Score From Feb. 2010: In which cycle does it expire?

Postby thatsnotmyname » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:25 pm

I know that the easy answer is 5 years, so until February 2015. So is submitting applications in September 2014 to most of the T14 basically not an option? I would have thought that it would be okay, but then I read this piece on CLS website:

"For how long is an LSAT score considered valid?

An LSAT score is considered valid by the Admissions Committee for no longer than five years. Candidates applying for admission to the 2014 entering class as regular applicants may submit LSAT scores earned on or after the June 2009 administration, but no later than the December 2013 administration."

Is this standard at all law schools that accept LSAT scores within 5 years? If so I have a much more limited window to apply to law school than I thought. Looks like being weird and taking it in February instead of June kind of screwed me over. Or am I wrong, is this just a Columbia thing?

E11e

Re: LSAT Score From Feb. 2010: In which cycle does it expire?

Postby E11e » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:30 pm

5 years is the maximum, but some schools impose shorter limits. You'll need to look into the guidelines posted by each school to be sure. I had to retake because of this (though I probably would have retaken anyway).

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:37 pm

I am aware that some schools impose shorter limits. But for the ones that impose the 5 year limit, do they all follow the same June onward policy as Columbia or do some of them use a differnt measuring date?

EDIT: Actually to update this just did some searching on the Michigan Law website and they state:
"How old can my LSAT score be?
We will accept scores as old as June five years prior to the admission season. So, for the 2012-13 season, a score from June 2007 is the oldest we can accept."

So for the 2014-15 admissions cycle, UM would accept from June 2009 onward, in which case my February 2010 LSAT would be valid. Or am I misinterpreting this? Not all websites are nearly as helpful though. A lot of them are really vague. For instance Northwestern states on their FAQ:

"For how long is my LSAT score valid?
According to the Law School Admission Council, LSAT scores are valid for five (5) years."

That doesn't really answer the question for someone like me who is cutting it kind of close... Is this information summarized somewhere on this site? I swear I've seen it summarized somewhere but I just can't locate the thread...

E11e

Postby E11e » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Are you planning to limit your applications to only those schools which will accept your score? If any one of your target schools requires a new score, it doesn't matter what the others say because you'll need to retake anyway.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Even if somebody has compiled that info for all the top schools (I doubt it since few people ever face such an issue), you should still check yourself on a school by school basis since schools sometimes change policies from year to year. Any compiled data you can find now would be based on last years or older information that might not reflect current/revised policies.

It's not that hard, just compose a simple inquiry email that clearly describes your situation and specific question, then email it to the admissions department at each school you are interested in and wait for replies with their answers. You should be able to find and collect the proper email addresses for the schools, write the email and send it to the schools all in two hours or less while cruising TLS and the web.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”