Exam Curves

User avatar
Enektal
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 7:09 pm

Exam Curves

Postby Enektal » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi TLS,

I was wondering which administration/date is the "best" one. I'm thinking along the lines of pros/cons and was hoping that someone could tell me about the statistics in curves for each test date (i.e.: which one has been noted to be the more generous/harder one).

I was originally going to take the test in October, but decided to take a gap year instead of applying straight after undergrad. I thought of rescheduling for June 2014, but then decided against that because I anticipate that the Spring semester of my senior year will be too crazy (writing a thesis). So now I'm deciding between December and February.

I know it ultimately comes down to when I feel ready, but I'd like to hear some thoughts from the TLS boards because you guys are always full of great advice.

Much appreciated!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Exam Curves

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Doesn't matter at all, the test is designed to give you the same score whenever you take it.

/thread.

User avatar
Enektal
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 7:09 pm

Re: Exam Curves

Postby Enektal » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:26 pm

I thought that the curve depended on the strength/scores of everyone taking the same exam? i.e.: stronger pool of test takers, different curve. No?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Exam Curves

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:27 pm

Enektal wrote:I thought that the curve depended on the strength/scores of everyone taking the same exam? i.e.: stronger pool of test takers, different curve. No?


No. Everyone could theoretically get a 180 if everyone who happened to take it was that smart.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Exam Curves

Postby wtrc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Enektal wrote:I thought that the curve depended on the strength/scores of everyone taking the same exam? i.e.: stronger pool of test takers, different curve. No?


No. Everyone could theoretically get a 180 if everyone who happened to take it was that smart.


Yep, it's not a curve in that sense... everything is predetermined.

If everyone got a 180, someone at LSAC is gettin fired though... :P

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Exam Curves

Postby malleus discentium » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:40 am


User avatar
mosessta
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Exam Curves

Postby mosessta » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:44 am


User avatar
Skill Game
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:39 am

Re: Exam Curves

Postby Skill Game » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:41 am

Desert Fox wrote:Doesn't matter at all, the test is designed to give you the same score whenever you take it.

/thread.


Sure, it may be designed to do this, or intend to do this. But it definitely doesn't. After 37 timed tests, my average is 174.4, with a standard deviation of 3.5~ and lowest score is 167. Highest score is 179. FYI the 167 happened fairly recently.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Exam Curves

Postby wtrc » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:04 pm

Skill Game wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Doesn't matter at all, the test is designed to give you the same score whenever you take it.

/thread.


Sure, it may be designed to do this, or intend to do this. But it definitely doesn't. After 37 timed tests, my average is 174.4, with a standard deviation of 3.5~ and lowest score is 167. Highest score is 179. FYI the 167 happened fairly recently.


Have you considered that part of this has to do with you (being more tired than usual, unprepared, distracted, etc.)?

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Exam Curves

Postby haus » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:16 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Enektal wrote:I thought that the curve depended on the strength/scores of everyone taking the same exam? i.e.: stronger pool of test takers, different curve. No?


No. Everyone could theoretically get a 180 if everyone who happened to take it was that smart.


Oh the poor suckers who'd have to take the test comprised of that group's experimentals.

-3? You get a 142 you dumb fuck

:lol:

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Exam Curves

Postby Clearly » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:53 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
Skill Game wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Doesn't matter at all, the test is designed to give you the same score whenever you take it.

/thread.


Sure, it may be designed to do this, or intend to do this. But it definitely doesn't. After 37 timed tests, my average is 174.4, with a standard deviation of 3.5~ and lowest score is 167. Highest score is 179. FYI the 167 happened fairly recently.


Have you considered that part of this has to do with you (being more tired than usual, unprepared, distracted, etc.)?

Lol it's like a flaw question. Fails to consider...

User avatar
Skill Game
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:39 am

Re: Exam Curves

Postby Skill Game » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 am

My 4 lowest scores are 167,168x2, and 169. It's unlikely they are all the result of fatigue.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Exam Curves

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:27 am

Skill Game wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Doesn't matter at all, the test is designed to give you the same score whenever you take it.

/thread.


Sure, it may be designed to do this, or intend to do this. But it definitely doesn't. After 37 timed tests, my average is 174.4, with a standard deviation of 3.5~ and lowest score is 167. Highest score is 179. FYI the 167 happened fairly recently.


You're assuming the difficulty of the test is giving you an inconsistent score.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Exam Curves

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:30 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Skill Game wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Doesn't matter at all, the test is designed to give you the same score whenever you take it.

/thread.


Sure, it may be designed to do this, or intend to do this. But it definitely doesn't. After 37 timed tests, my average is 174.4, with a standard deviation of 3.5~ and lowest score is 167. Highest score is 179. FYI the 167 happened fairly recently.


You're assuming the difficulty of the test is giving you an inconsistent score.


Also lol at your sample size.

NapoleonXV
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:29 am

Re: Exam Curves

Postby NapoleonXV » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:32 am

I would recommend December. The down side about Feb is that you will not get your full score report.

If (only IF) you need to retake, then knowing which problems you got wrong in your test might be helpful.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, bearedman8, BobBoblaw, derekne, DumbHollywoodActor, Google [Bot], Instrumental and 26 guests