In light of new information, shoud I postpone? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RobertGolddust

Bronze

In light of new information, shoud I postpone?

Post by RobertGolddust » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Here's the deal. I just recently found out some of my transfer credits are totally jack-hammered upside down. My senior year will at best be 18 credits each semester with the constant hassle of fighting with the pesky registrar's office. This year will be the most difficult year of my academic life.

As far as the LSAT, I am also ice fishing on the thinnest of ice. I spent all summer prepping and have just started seeing improvement. I have taken 4 PT's and my most recent score was a 161 but I had seen a few of the RC passages before, so its not really indicative of my score. My goal is the mid 160's as the floor, and the 170's as my most vivid of vivid dreams.

The question is should I postpone it till after I graduate or should I go through with it? I am perfectly content with a top regional school, ASU/U of A. I am 23 years old and will be 24 when I graduate, thus I will be 28 when I get out of law school if I push back, which is my biggest concern about postponing. My GPA would be a 3.3 if I applied this cycle, but if I apply next cycle it will reach that 3.5 threshold. I have gone through all of PS's online material/drilled a few cambride packets/ took PT's. My gut tells me it would be wise to push back even if I do plan to go to ASU/U of A, given that another summer of prep might make a huge difference, (scholarships, T-14 becomes feasible, ect.)

lastsamurai

Silver

Re: In light of new information, shoud I postpone?

Post by lastsamurai » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:37 pm

The idea of being 27 or 28 and just starting my career is a bit frightening to me as well, but looking at the bigger picture, does the one year difference really matter? Probably not. Besides, you can take the extra year to potentially do something really cool. I'd say postpone, but that's just my two cents. Good luck!

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks LSAT samurai, now I remember why I reach out to strangers about major life decisions.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:20 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:This year will be the most difficult year of my academic life.

if I apply next cycle it will reach that 3.5 threshold.
There's your answer. The difference between 27 and 28 really isn't that big of a deal. The difference of having adequate prep time and a 3.5 GPA is.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks bp, seems like the right move.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Agreed with above... And aim higher than 160's! No rush, I'm on my second year off of undergrad/ working ft now and so happy with the decision.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback coins, love the avatar-Bee-ya!

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:21 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:Here's the deal. I just recently found out some of my transfer credits are totally jack-hammered upside down. My senior year will at best be 18 credits each semester with the constant hassle of fighting with the pesky registrar's office. This year will be the most difficult year of my academic life.

As far as the LSAT, I am also ice fishing on the thinnest of ice. I spent all summer prepping and have just started seeing improvement. I have taken 4 PT's and my most recent score was a 161 but I had seen a few of the RC passages before, so its not really indicative of my score. My goal is the mid 160's as the floor, and the 170's as my most vivid of vivid dreams.

The question is should I postpone it till after I graduate or should I go through with it? I am perfectly content with a top regional school, ASU/U of A. I am 23 years old and will be 24 when I graduate, thus I will be 28 when I get out of law school if I push back, which is my biggest concern about postponing. My GPA would be a 3.3 if I applied this cycle, but if I apply next cycle it will reach that 3.5 threshold. I have gone through all of PS's online material/drilled a few cambride packets/ took PT's. My gut tells me it would be wise to push back even if I do plan to go to ASU/U of A, given that another summer of prep might make a huge difference, (scholarships, T-14 becomes feasible, ect.)
Go to ASU. Went there for one semester, and it was awesome. Hot girls everywhere and Mill Street is always a good time.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
RobertGolddust wrote:Here's the deal. I just recently found out some of my transfer credits are totally jack-hammered upside down. My senior year will at best be 18 credits each semester with the constant hassle of fighting with the pesky registrar's office. This year will be the most difficult year of my academic life.

Go to ASU. Went there for one semester, and it was awesome. Hot girls everywhere and Mill Street is always a good time.
Law students don't get to live the UG campus life if they want a chance at good LS grades :wink: , bad way to pick a LS.

PS: Read 1L by Scott Turow. You end up being a creepy looking dazed, confused and stressed out guy sitting on the grass weirdly staring off into space before end of first semester and won't even notice the UG hotties walking by. If you do, and they notice you, they will probably avoid you cuz you seem odd and suspicious and want to keep blabbing about contributory negligence and personal jurisdiction.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:17 am

Jeffort wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:

Law students don't get to live the UG campus life if they want a chance at good LS grades :wink: , bad way to pick a LS.

PS: Read 1L by Scott Turow. You end up being a creepy looking dazed, confused and stressed out guy sitting on the grass weirdly staring off into space before end of first semester and won't even notice the UG hotties walking by. If you do, and they notice you, they will probably avoid you cuz you seem odd and suspicious and want to keep blabbing about contributory negligence and personal jurisdiction.
Nvm I thought he meant ASU for undergrad.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:57 pm

Unless this is sarcasm, I have to imagine you struggle with the reading comp section of the LSAT.
You hit the nail right on the head with your take on mill. Mill is like a trip to the jungle, except instead of trees there is solid concrete, and instead of insects and beast of prey there are voluptuous woman and fat chicks. And every time I go to mill I feel my IQ drops a couple points. Totally worth it to run around the desert like a madman and chase tail.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Jeffort wrote: Law students don't get to live the UG campus life if they want a chance at good LS grades :wink: , bad way to pick a LS.

While my law school experience might have been different than most, I found that the people who approached law school like Scott Turow in 1L didn't do nearly as well as the people who got their work done and then went out and had fun on the weekends. They were too stressed out to perform well on finals.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:13 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:
Unless this is sarcasm, I have to imagine you struggle with the reading comp section of the LSAT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”