175+ people, where were you 6 weeks out?

Dr. Dre

Re: 175+ people, where were you 6 weeks out?

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:56 pm

lol @ desert fox ITT

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notalobbyist

Postby notalobbyist » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:OP, I'm assuming you're asking so you can get a frame of reference for yourself so I'll answer from that perspective instead of whatever the rest of this thread is. Obviously it matters how many weeks in you are when you are six weeks out - I was probably like 10 weeks in. I was probably in the 169-174 rang for most of my tests but had some outliers at like 178. I would say that if you're consistently getting 170s six weeks out, you can still get a 180 optimistically. More realistically, I think the goal should be to have already PT'ed at your desired score and the rest of your studying should help bring up the floor rather than raise the ceiling.

Thanks!

Just to update, I've more often above 175 than below, maxed out at 178. I'm still scoring 72, 73 and 74 sometimes, but I am getting more consistent.

Everyone who was encouraging, thanks and everyone who tried to argue that they were special and I wasn't can suck a lemon.

Here's hoping for a good October!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Six weeks before I got my 177 on an October administration I was just getting back into LSAT mode after taking a long break from preparing for the preceding June test (that I took and cancelled).

My timed practice test score when I started studying again at that point was low 160s. In the last two weeks before the test my practice test scores averaged about 168. I only hit 170+ on a few practice tests before test day. 177 on test day, so basically a nine point increase from my PT average to get my best score ever when it counted. My original diagnostic score before any prep was 151 on a timed proctored test, I had never seen an LSAT question before taking that practice test so it was a totally cold virgin run.

My test day increase is unusual, as is my overall increase from starting at 151, but is evidence that it does sometimes occur when you want it bad enough. I was determined to break 170 and did everything in my power while preparing to get there even though it was a struggle at times. I was not one of the so called 'naturals' that started high in the scoring range. It took a lot of effort over several months to get consistently into the high 160s range. Then the last big jump materialized on test day, which is a bit weird but I'm not complaining. The thing that came together on test day to account for the last big test day jump was the LG section. Up until test day I was always having trouble finishing all four games in time, usually barely starting the fourth game and getting the first question or two before time ran out so most of the points holding me back from 170+ were being lost in the LG section on practice tests. Only missed one LG question on test day and it was due to carelessly misbubbling the first question of the section for some stupid reason.

Hopefully my experience and the improvement Clearly made to get his 176 from a 150 are good examples to show that big gains are possible and that the 170+ (especially 175+) range is not only reserved for people that start in the mid to high 160s.

The is it learn-able or not and whether the test should be learn-able or not debates are silly and pointless. The test is learn-able, if you want to improve your score and are willing to work and study hard for it, you can significantly improve your score. How much and how high depends on the person and how hard they are willing to work.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Jeffort wrote:The is it learn-able or not and whether the test should be learn-able or not debates are silly and pointless. The test is learn-able, if you want to improve your score and are willing to work and study hard for it, you can significantly improve your score. How much and how high depends on the person and how hard they are willing to work.

1 MUTHAFUCKEN 80

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:46 pm

This thread has been very encouraging , especially seeing where people began at. Hope others will contribute .

wowhio

Postby wowhio » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:19 pm

I did most of the studying in six weeks, actually.

In the semester before my six weeks of intense studying, I went over the Logic Games bible and did some games practice. I got familiar with the test but didn't do any really intense studying. I studied seriously during a six-week winter intersession. I had my study plan mapped out in advance, pretty much, but what it boiled down to was a practice test almost every day with a really heavy emphasis on timing. (I did stuff like taking 6-section PTs, for the stamina, or giving myself less time to complete each section.) Towards the beginning, it became clear to me that I needed more practice on games and I drilled those on some of the days I didn't do full-length tests. I would time myself on individual games, and an entire section games section. Very useful. Eventually, I got to the point where logic games was a reprieve that I looked forward to on the practice tests.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and say that it is definitely possible to improve your score significantly in a short time period, assuming you have time to dedicate to it each day. My initial diagnostic was a 153 (I think), I was maybe around 160ish when I started intensely studying, and eventually I scored 177. You can do it!

EDIT: Just wanted to add, I scored my first 180 on a practice test just three weeks(ish) before the real thing. I saw steady improvement from the 160s into the low-170s, then a big jump. I started scoring pretty consistently about 174 after that, with a anxiety-producing fluke of a 169 a couple days before the test. I stopped scoring my practice tests after that, and apparently did pretty well on the real deal.

I can't really explain what caused the jump from the low-170s to the high-170s for me, but I can tell you that it came from having a kind of instinct about what answers were right and which were wrong on the LR and RC sections. On LG, it came after I invented my own version of the LG Bible's notation style, which I found to be faster and easier to understand. I honestly believe that familiarity with the test, from taking and reviewing practice tests, is what did it for me. I would also recommend any of the Fox LSAT books (the ones with a full length practice test with answer explanations) for early in your studying. I had one, and reading those witty explanations really helped me in the beginning!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”