People who have been in my shoes and have overcome it. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Blueberrypie

Bronze

Re: People who have been in my shoes and have overcome it.

Post by Blueberrypie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:00 pm

magickware wrote:
crestor wrote:
magickware wrote:How long have you been studying?

You have no right to question your intelligence/capability until you've studied for a year or more, and that with proper methods proven by hundreds of others instead of using poor ones.

Read these guides-
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=212294
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=195603

Understand what the goal behind those two guides are (mastery through repetition and genuine review) instead of just copying it verbatim, and I cannot imagine anyone getting lower than a 165.
165 is top 5% of test-takers. Anyone... Everyone has a ceiling.
And I argued that most people never reach their ceiling for one reason or another.

Did you study for a while with methods that people saw work for them and with some bit of guidance, such as the free 7sage guides/BP Shinners here/MLSAT's forums? If you did those and got a 165, then that's probably your ceiling.

If you haven't, then you don't know where your ceiling is at.
Blueberrypie wrote:Okay I see what you guys are saying...wait a cycle...but to me that sounds so scary. My family is expecting law school straight from undergrad. I think I will disappoint them so much... Also does that look bad when a student takes a year or waits months after undergrad graduation to apply for law school?
LSAT score>A gap year or two/your parents being disappointed.

I just started studying with reputable methods this August... August 1st to be exact. I had studied with other methods at the beginning of the summer and brands that aren't as reputable here on TLS.. BP logic games book is wonderful! It helped with LG like no other but I still struggle.

magickware

Bronze

Post by magickware » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:01 pm

crestor wrote: if these people are too lazy to utilize free resources that will drastically improve their LSAT and ie acceptance to law school and scholarship money, then the world is better off.
You said everyone has a ceiling.

I said you can't know what your ceiling is until you're exhausted all available resources.

You said the above.

I really have no idea where you're getting at now.

But I do know that what you just said above is so full of holes that anyone studying the LSAT could notice them.

magickware

Bronze

Post by magickware » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:03 pm

Blueberrypie wrote: I just started studying with reputable methods this August... August 1st to be exact. I had studied with other methods at the beginning of the summer and brands that aren't as reputable here on TLS.. BP logic games book is wonderful! It helped with LG like no other but I still struggle.
Then you're in no position to give up.

Read the forums, find the appropriate resources, and work.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:03 pm

magickware wrote:
crestor wrote: if these people are too lazy to utilize free resources that will drastically improve their LSAT and ie acceptance to law school and scholarship money, then the world is better off.

I said you can't know what your ceiling is until you're exhausted all available resources.

You said the above.

you say there is no ceiling in terms of potential scoring. however, the same can not be said in terms of ceiling of willing to prepare... some 3.0 psychology major at state U probably has that ceiling. BOOM.

Blueberrypie

Bronze

Post by Blueberrypie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Otunga wrote:Try to approach your parents and discuss with them the realities of the legal market and applying to law school. Explain to them that you need to maximize your LSAT score to give yourself the best opportunities. Reasonable parents should understand.

I think you are right. I think it is more me than my parents. I don't want to disappoint them. I'm like the golden child. The one who listens to their parents, does well in school, has never done one thing wrong... I often feel that if I wait..they will think I am inadequate, but now that you and others have shed some light I feel better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blueberrypie

Bronze

Post by Blueberrypie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:06 pm

magickware wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote: I didn't realize. I thought many were straight from undergrad. How naive. I'm 20 yrs old... I guess I could get a job save some money...intern ad stuff.

Should I get my recommendations before a graduate and just have my professors post date them?
LSAC holds any LoR and LSAT score and just about every law school app relevant material for 5 years before they toss them.

Get your LOR sent to LSAC once you graduate and ignore them until you're ready to apply.

I'm not sure if you need to pay for CAS for them to hold stuff for 5 years though.

Ugh I am so out of the loop. I've been focused on LSAt score that I neglected to realize that LSAC holds recommendations.

Blueberrypie

Bronze

Post by Blueberrypie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:07 pm

You have no right to question your intelligence/capability until you've studied for a year or more, and that with proper methods proven by hundreds of others instead of using poor ones.

Read these guides-

Understand what the goal behind those two guides are (mastery through repetition and genuine review) instead of just copying it verbatim, and I cannot imagine anyone getting lower than a 165.
Thank you.... for these resources... :D

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:
Otunga wrote:Try to approach your parents and discuss with them the realities of the legal market and applying to law school. Explain to them that you need to maximize your LSAT score to give yourself the best opportunities. Reasonable parents should understand.

I think you are right. I think it is more me than my parents. I don't want to disappoint them. I'm like the golden child. The one who listens to their parents, does well in school, has never done one thing wrong... I often feel that if I wait..they will think I am inadequate, but now that you and others have shed some light I feel better.

lol. tfw you are the black sheep in your family.
Last edited by crestor on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magickware

Bronze

Post by magickware » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:09 pm

crestor wrote:
magickware wrote:

You said the above.

you say there is no ceiling in terms of potential scoring. however, the same can not be said in terms of ceiling of willing to prepare... some 3.0 psychology major at state U probably has that ceiling. BOOM.
What?

I literally said in the post you quoted that "you can't know what your ceiling is until you've (I made a typo) exhausted all available resources."

How does that go to becoming "there is no ceiling in terms of potential scoring"?

And you continue to making statements that are full of holes. They also reveal a lot about your personality.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

magickware

Bronze

Post by magickware » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:

Read these guides-

No problem.

As for the LoR thing- Take a moment to read up on law school application stuff on LSAC. It's a nice break of sorts from doing LSAT stuff while you're not wasting time.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:10 pm

magickware wrote:
crestor wrote:
magickware wrote:

You said the above.

What?

I literally said in the post you quoted that "you can't know what your ceiling is until you've (I made a typo) exhausted all available resources."

How does that go to becoming "there is no ceiling in terms of potential scoring"?

And you continue to making statements that are full of holes. They also reveal a lot about your personality.

all i gotta say

magickware

Bronze

Post by magickware » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:13 pm

I am mad.

What about it?

Is everyone going to laugh at me for being mad?

Do I have to go cry in the corner because I'm mad?

Maybe I need to hang my head in shame because I'm mad?

I don't know. What should I do?

Blueberrypie

Bronze

Post by Blueberrypie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:16 pm

It will be so weird to be out of school for a year... but I guess what is good is that I can study in a relaxed setting and work saving money paying off my small but existent undergrad loans.

should I get a job at a law firm or just any old job is okay...?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blueberrypie

Bronze

Post by Blueberrypie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:17 pm

magickware wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote:

Read these guides-

No problem.

As for the LoR thing- Take a moment to read up on law school application stuff on LSAC. It's a nice break of sorts from doing LSAT stuff while you're not wasting time.
Will do right now!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:19 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:It will be so weird to be out of school for a year... but I guess what is good is that I can study in a relaxed setting and work saving money paying off my small but existent undergrad loans.

should I get a job at a law firm or just any old job is okay...?
Any job.

Blueberrypie

Bronze

Post by Blueberrypie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:28 pm

crestor wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote:

nope not the black sheep...I'm just a obedient kid... my other family members are smart..I have several that went to Columbia, but I just the good kid....if tat makes sense

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:29 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:
crestor wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote:

nope not the black sheep...I'm just a obedient kid... my other family members are smart..I have several that went to Columbia, but I just the good kid....if tat makes sense
i'm talking about myself. i read your post and its the exact opposite of my parents and I.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blueberrypie

Bronze

Post by Blueberrypie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:43 pm

nope not the black sheep...I'm just a obedient kid... my other family members are smart..I have several that went to Columbia, but I just the good kid....if tat makes sense[/quote]

i'm talking about myself. i read your post and its the exact opposite of my parents and I.[/quote]

Oh lol sorry. I misread.. well it isn't always perfect with my parents and I...but most of the time we are cool ppl.

Blueberrypie

Bronze

Post by Blueberrypie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:34 pm

well spoke to my mom about taking the year off to study and get a job. she didn't like the idea very much. She understood, but the idea of taking year off bothered her. So now I'm skeptical... and worried that a year off is too long of a time. Ugh this is soo frustrating!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:well spoke to my mom about taking the year off to study and get a job. she didn't like the idea very much. She understood, but the idea of taking year off bothered her. So now I'm skeptical... and worried that a year off is too long of a time. Ugh this is soo frustrating!
Wtf really? You are an adult. Make your own decisions.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:well spoke to my mom about taking the year off to study and get a job. she didn't like the idea very much. She understood, but the idea of taking year off bothered her. So now I'm skeptical... and worried that a year off is too long of a time. Ugh this is soo frustrating!
It's really not. The fact that your opinion has been swayed and then swung back in a matter of hours is a perfect illustration of a 20-year-old's natural immaturity and the incompleteness of your information, and the perfect argument for TAKING A YEAR TO FIGURE YOUR SHIT OUT. Your mom is even less informed than you are on the topic of law school admissions; her current opinion should matter exactly zero. It is your responsibility to fully research all aspects of this process, formulate the best possible plan with the greatest likelihood of success, and present it to your parents in such a way that they understand why it is the best approach for your future.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:43 pm

OP are your parents paying for law school? If not, you have to be upfront and show them inside the law school scam by Paul campos and law school transparency. Tell them the lsat is worth 60-70% of admission. Tell them this is your future at stake. Law school isn't going to suddenly disappear (except the scams possibly). At the end of the day, I assume that your parents aren't floating the bill so you need to say it as politically correct and gentle as possible but they have no right to dictate to you these specific terms when they aren't financially assisting you whatsoever.

If they are paying for it, get to studying and kill it in December.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:44 pm

And I'm pretty sure the average 1L is 25 years old when he starts. You wonder why.. :mrgreen:

Blueberrypie

Bronze

Post by Blueberrypie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:54 pm

She's worried or believes the stigma that once people stop going to school they don't go back...but the thing she is missing is that I didn't drop out. I just haven't started and I thin it will be best to start later.

I know I am the adult, but I have a few worries, well one thing is that I highly value my mothers opinion. She as never steered my wrong. She doesn't think the idea is bad...she thinks its smart and makes sense, she just is worried about me...so that brought my confidence down.

Now my main concern is that I feel like I failed somehow. I feel like I should have been able to ace the test and apply his fall. I foolish believe that I am somehow inadequate.

as for who is fitting the bill? I wanted scholarships but lsat score needs to be in order. therefore no mother was not planning to pay...but i still value her opinion,bc we are really close...but it can also be a 20 yr old dependency issue still. as if I still need approval from my mom kind of thing.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:She's worried or believes the stigma that once people stop going to school they don't go back...but the thing she is missing is that I didn't drop out. I just haven't started and I thin it will be best to start later.

I know I am the adult, but I have a few worries, well one thing is that I highly value my mothers opinion. She as never steered my wrong. She doesn't think the idea is bad...she thinks its smart and makes sense, she just is worried about me...so that brought my confidence down.

Now my main concern is that I feel like I failed somehow. I feel like I should have been able to ace the test and apply his fall. I foolish believe that I am somehow inadequate.

as for who is fitting the bill? I wanted scholarships but lsat score needs to be in order. therefore no mother was not planning to pay...but i still value her opinion,bc we are really close...but it can also be a 20 yr old dependency issue still. as if I still need approval from my mom kind of thing.
I remember a very profound quote from one of these threads discussing lsat ceilings where the poster said if the test was easy, the test wouldn't matter. There is a reason why the test matters.

In terms of the mother approval thing, http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XeZ1OgJnE7w

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”