Verifying Flaw Answers

Verifying Flaw Answers

Postby koval » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Is there some way you can do a quick verification on a flaw in the reasoning answer like you can with assumptions (where negating the answer completely destroys the argument)?

Also, if you're reading a flaw stimulus and the flaw isn't immediately apparent how would you address that or get the flaw in the stimulus?

Re: Verifying Flaw Answers

Postby Nicolena. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:47 pm

The flaws should be fairly apparent.

When I first started, it was difficult for me to spot the flaws, but with time I always see it now. Just keep practicing. Also, If you have the LSAT Trainer they have a few great exercises to help with this.

Postby magickware » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:05 pm

No, but generally the flaws are so obvious that if you just read critically and constantly question what you're reading, then it should be noticeable.

I think the single biggest problem with folks reading is that they don't question the material. For all assumption family questions, there is an issue that you need to see, for example, so take the entire argument with a grain of salt.

Postby vuthy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:27 pm

Although I've gotten much better at them, flaw questions for me can be tricky not because of the flaw itself, but because the description of the supposed flaw in the answer choices is often written in the a way that is hard to translate under pressure. If I get a flaw wrong, it's because I got duped by something like, "fails to consider the possibility that the conditions under which an action is likely to happen may not be the conditions under which an action is not unlikely to happen." Or some bs like that.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”