October or December

Dringus

October or December

Postby Dringus » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:13 pm

I'm deciding whether to take the LSAT in October or December. My goal is to score 175+. I work full-time and plan to apply next fall.

I took my first timed PT (39) in mid-April. Generally speaking, I've improved quite a bit since then.

Here are my averages for PTs 39-55. These were taken timed but without a fifth section, usually in the afternoon:

PT 39-44: 166

PT 45-50: 169

PT 51-55: 172

And here are my 3 most recent scores, taken between August 11th and today. These were taken under test-day conditions (5 sections, in the morning,all timed, 10 minute break between sections 3 and 4). 57 is highest score to date:

PT 56: 173

PT 57: 176

PT 58: 167 (eh...)

I would prefer to take the test sooner rather than later, but obviously I want to get the best score possible. I have two main concerns at this point. One is succeeding under test day circumstances. I am at the point where I can do well on a single section (-3 or -2, regardless of type). But 5 sections, especially in the morning, is still a bit of a challenge. I feel like I can take care of it by October, but still.

More importantly, I'm going to have a very busy work schedule in September. I expect that I will have to stay later on most weekdays. I will also be traveling on at least 3, maybe 4, weekends over the next six weeks.

What would you do? Would you just bite the bullet, or wait until December?

jk148706

Re: October or December

Postby jk148706 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:20 pm

Dringus wrote:I'm deciding whether to take the LSAT in October or December. My goal is to score 175+. I work full-time and plan to apply next fall.

I took my first timed PT (39) in mid-April. Generally speaking, I've improved quite a bit since then.

Here are my averages for PTs 39-55. These were taken timed but without a fifth section, usually in the afternoon:

PT 39-44: 166

PT 45-50: 169

PT 51-55: 172

And here are my 3 most recent scores, taken between August 11th and today. These were taken under test-day conditions (5 sections, in the morning,all timed, 10 minute break between sections 3 and 4). 57 is highest score to date:

PT 56: 173

PT 57: 176

PT 58: 167 (eh...)

I would prefer to take the test sooner rather than later, but obviously I want to get the best score possible. I have two main concerns at this point. One is succeeding under test day circumstances. I am at the point where I can do well on a single section (-3 or -2, regardless of type). But 5 sections, especially in the morning, is still a bit of a challenge. I feel like I can take care of it by October, but still.

More importantly, I'm going to have a very busy work schedule in September. I expect that I will have to stay later on most weekdays. I will also be traveling on at least 3, maybe 4, weekends over the next six weeks.

What would you do? Would you just bite the bullet, or wait until December?

I'm right on the edge too. Do whatever will get you the best score. If its December, the fog for it

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:36 pm

Take it in October and aim to apply this year. Don't get your desired score? Take it again in Dec. Hell, you may even hit 180 the 2nd time around after having had the test-day experience if your first is lackluster. Treating it as a one-off in Dec. is unnecessarily risky, in my opinion.

Dringus

Postby Dringus » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:46 pm

Otunga wrote:Take it in October and aim to apply this year. Don't get your desired score? Take it again in Dec. Hell, you may even hit 180 the 2nd time around after having had the test-day experience if your first is lackluster. Treating it as a one-off in Dec. is unnecessarily risky, in my opinion.

I already have a cancellation and absence under my belt (June '11 and December '11, respectively). I don't want to take it more than three times.

I graduated in 2011, and have been working since. Since I had a subpar GPA, I wanted to work 3 years before applying. Plus, I may work a congressional campaign in 2014... not sure about that yet.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:54 pm

I am in similar position as OP. One exception: my PT scores are around 160. I haven't been a great test taker but when I am focused and practice, I succeed. I have been studying for 8 solid hours in the library daily for about a month and a half. Before that I have been studying on and off for a year. Thing is, due to holidays, September will be a half of a month for studying. Thus, December makes more sense. I guess I'll miss the chance to apply ED.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:22 am

Dringus wrote:
Otunga wrote:Take it in October and aim to apply this year. Don't get your desired score? Take it again in Dec. Hell, you may even hit 180 the 2nd time around after having had the test-day experience if your first is lackluster. Treating it as a one-off in Dec. is unnecessarily risky, in my opinion.

I already have a cancellation and absence under my belt (June '11 and December '11, respectively). I don't want to take it more than three times.

I graduated in 2011, and have been working since. Since I had a subpar GPA, I wanted to work 3 years before applying. Plus, I may work a congressional campaign in 2014... not sure about that yet.

Ah, right, apparently I overlooked the fact that you aren't applying this year. I say you should take it in December, then. You're so close to where you want to be. If I had to guess, you'll be at 175+ by Dec.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:22 am

December, why rush for October if your not applying this upcoming cycle?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:42 am

how many hours do you work a week

Dringus

Postby Dringus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:how many hours do you work a week

That depends. I work for a US Senator in a state office, and my schedule is affected by what's happening in the state and in DC.

Generally speaking, September/early October are very busy for us. The debt limit/possibility of a government shutdown/Syria isn't helping.

I decided to wait until December. Aside from what I've mentioned already, I waited too long to register and all the test centers in my immediate area filled up.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”