When to start taking PT?

Erickt26

When to start taking PT?

Postby Erickt26 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:01 am

Hello,

I have been prepping since july. Took my first PT since the JUNE LSAT last week and scored a 149. Wondering if I should first finish all the cambridge LR packets and Games before doing another PT. Doing so would take about 2 more weeks.

What are your opinions? More PT or more drilling?

Jeffort

Re: When to start taking PT?

Postby Jeffort » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:30 am

You should do more drilling since you were only able to get a 149 after around six weeks of prep. Much more of learning and practicing the fundamentals is in order before you transition to trying to put all the stuff together in full test format where you have to constantly switch gears every minute or two.

You're still in the getting to know all the bits and pieces of the LSAT phase and shouldn't be doing many full timed practice tests until you are strong with all the fundamentals on all the various types of questions and games and stuff. You should be able to perform well with a high accuracy level on most question types and games types and such when drilling before you start putting lots of prep time into trying to master putting everything together in section format.

Once you are able to perform with a high level of accuracy when drilling by types, then you transition to putting together everything in test format where you have to instantly switch modes over and over flawlessly.

If you are not solid on anything about any given type when doing focused drilling, then you will really suck at it and mess it up when under test conditions with section format.

Postby 10052014 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erickt26

Postby Erickt26 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:22 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
Wondering if I should first finish all the cambridge LR packets and Games before doing another PT. Doing so would take about 2 more weeks.

Only two weeks to finish ALL lr and lg cambridge packets? Must be working fast.

I don't have a job, thus I can study 4+ everyday. But you are right perhaps slowing down would help.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:24 pm

erickt I am in a similar position as you. However, I believe people are suggestion by quoting the time you've went through the info is that you have not reviewed mistakes thoroughly. Checking answers and promptly moving on without figuring out exactly why is useless and no learning takes place.

If you've been reviewing thoroughly, then forgive me and ignore this comment - but I think thats perhaps what some people are getting at by quoting the amount of material you've went through in such short time.

Erickt26

Postby Erickt26 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:17 pm

flash21 wrote:erickt I am in a similar position as you. However, I believe people are suggestion by quoting the time you've went through the info is that you have not reviewed mistakes thoroughly. Checking answers and promptly moving on without figuring out exactly why is useless and no learning takes place.

If you've been reviewing thoroughly, then forgive me and ignore this comment - but I think thats perhaps what some people are getting at by quoting the amount of material you've went through in such short time.

You make a good point. Perhaps slowing down is what I need.

I did 100 inferences(must be true) got -18. That's a lot. Maybe I will slow down and review whenever I cannot dismiss a wrong answer with confidence.

I simply get frustrated given the fact that I don't do anything but study everyday and I got a 149! But I think soon I will see an increase. I hope.

ThetaX

Postby ThetaX » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:13 am

I found that getting my accuracy down before timing was key, especially for LR. Don't start taking actual timed PTs until you are confident that you can get a 170+ untimed.

Erickt26

Postby Erickt26 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:16 am

ThetaX wrote:I found that getting my accuracy down before timing was key, especially for LR. Don't start taking actual timed PTs until you are confident that you can get a 170+ untimed.

I did 115 MBT and got 25 wrong. So disappointing. Thanks for the advice. I think I will follow it.

Rollontheground

Postby Rollontheground » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Perhaps you could try 10 LSATs grouped by type (Manhattan)? Granted, it's tests 41-50, which might be better used by not being broken apart into drills, but this is probably representative of what you'd find in the cambridge packets — but 4 (or 3.8) times more manageable. Probably the same percentage of Easy, Medium, Hard; different types of questions, etc. I'm assuming you're prepping for October, here, hence a time constraint? Otherwise, packets.

Also, I don't think it's that big of a deal to take a test or two out of the 30s.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”