Main pt Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
elg

New

Main pt

Post by elg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:58 am

Consistently -1 to -3 on lr, however main pt questions seems to be an issue for me. It seems that some questions are looking for a straight repeat of the conclusion while others are looking for more of a summary of a couple statements. I know about the "therefore" test when you have an ic and mc, however on some questions it seems like the right answer includes an aspect of both, or an mc and a detail in a premise. Not sure if i explained this well but im really just asking when i have to look deeper into the stim than just id'ing the mc

bp shinners

Gold

Re: Main pt

Post by bp shinners » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:03 pm

elg wrote:Consistently -1 to -3 on lr, however main pt questions seems to be an issue for me. It seems that some questions are looking for a straight repeat of the conclusion while others are looking for more of a summary of a couple statements. I know about the "therefore" test when you have an ic and mc, however on some questions it seems like the right answer includes an aspect of both, or an mc and a detail in a premise. Not sure if i explained this well but im really just asking when i have to look deeper into the stim than just id'ing the mc
If you have the main point underlined, you should have a good guide for the answer. If the main point references an earlier idea or premise, the correct answer choice might include the original idea/premise in it.

For example, I might have the argument:
Some people think Mad Men is a great TV show. They would be mistaken. The acting is sub-par, and the plotlines about Betty, at least during the first season, are contrived and cliche.

The conclusion here is that second sentence. However, my answer might read:
1) Some people are mistaken in their opinion on Mad Men.
2) Those who find Mad Men a great TV show are mistaken.
3) Because of poor acting and plotting, those who think Mad Men is a great TV show are mistaken.

The core of each one is that one group is mistaken. They just include more information in some of the answer choices. So watch out for main points that leave open the door for other language to influence how they're stated; but you should still be looking for something with the same core of what you've underlined as the main point (because you are underlining it, right? ;-) ).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”