LR help.

Bratva

LR help.

Postby Bratva » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:24 pm

I have a question. For the past dozens of pts, the 3-4 questions (both sections total) that i miss in LR are all from questions before #15.
the questions usually get harder so I'm missing the easier ones... how can this be? why am i getting the easier ones wrong? it's definitely not because of timing or fatigue... does this mean that my lr foundations are still weak and i probably need to drill more?
oh and i started drilling the cambridge packets and it seems that i get questions from level 1 and 2 wrong more often than level 3 and 4... why is it that i get the hard ones right but miss the easy ones...
thanks in advance. any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Bratva on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteelPenguin

Re: LR help.

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Bratva wrote:I have a question. For the past dozens of pts, the 3-4 questions (both sections) that i miss in LR are all from questions before #15.
the questions usually get harder so I'm missing the easier ones... how can this be? why am i getting the easier ones wrong? it's definitely not because of timing or fatigue... does this mean that my lr foundations are still weak and i probably need to drill more?
oh and i started drilling the cambridge packets and it seems that i get questions from level 1 and 2 wrong more often than level 3 and 4... why is it that i get the hard ones right but miss the easy ones...

Are you sure it's a matter of difficulty and not question type? Are you getting easy strengthen questions wrong, but getting difficult ones right? It might be a matter of getting certain question types that are more common in the "easier" section of questions wrong, rather than a matter of difficulty.

Also, when you review these questions you get wrong, did you honestly not understand the question, or was it just a matter of carelessness? Occasionally I find it takes me a few questions to really get focused and I make a stupid mistake.

Bratva

Postby Bratva » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:56 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
Bratva wrote:I have a question. For the past dozens of pts, the 3-4 questions (both sections) that i miss in LR are all from questions before #15.

Are you sure it's a matter of difficulty and not question type? Are you getting easy strengthen questions wrong, but getting difficult ones right? It might be a matter of getting certain question types that are more common in the "easier" section of questions wrong, rather than a matter of difficulty.

Also, when you review these questions you get wrong, did you honestly not understand the question, or was it just a matter of carelessness? Occasionally I find it takes me a few questions to really get focused and I make a stupid mistake.

i don't think it's a matter of type. i've been keeping track and there doesn't seem to be a pattern. and its definitely not that i did not understand the question. i usually get it down to two choices and pick the wrong one and when i go back..it's so obvious that the answers are the ones that i did not pick...i would like to tell myself that it's just a matter of carelessness but this seems to happen over and over again and i'm starting to think it's a bit more complicated than that. even if it is a matter of carelessness, what do i do to get rid of this habit? just keep on practicing?

Bratva

Postby Bratva » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:57 pm

oh and thanks!

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:14 pm

This is pretty spot on, for me the question types are what cause me the most difficulty, ie weaken questions. Maybe slow down a bit through the first 15, I know when I first started I wanted to hum through 15 in 15 and it always cost me points. When I PT tomorrow, I'm skipping any question that de-rails my thoughts regardless of its placement.

Bratva

Postby Bratva » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:30 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:

This is pretty spot on, for me the question types are what cause me the most difficulty, ie weaken questions. Maybe slow down a bit through the first 15, I know when I first started I wanted to hum through 15 in 15 and it always cost me points. When I PT tomorrow, I'm skipping any question that de-rails my thoughts regardless of its placement.

i might have a problem with flaw questions. it always takes me a bit longer and freaks me out a bit. more drilling i guess. and yes i shall slow down a bit. i'll keep that in mind when i pt tmr.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:10 am

RobertGolddust wrote:

Yup, rushing through the early questions can be a big mistake if you don't have a really solid grasp on LR. You'll want to eventually be able to do it, but only once those first 15 become easy enough that it comes naturally. If you're forcing yourself to speed up, you'll make some avoidable mistakes. Remember, you're better off having to take a guess on a tricky parallel question and nailing the first 15.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”