LR section - working backwards

bigsleep1

LR section - working backwards

Postby bigsleep1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:29 am

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has tried to work the LR sections back to front. I realize the last questions are the most difficult.

My problem is the endurance, once I get to Qs 20-27 my mind isnt focusing as much.

I am at between -4 and -7 on LRs with 90 percent of misses coming in this range.

However, when I go back and re-read the stimulus, I am almost always right.....

so I am wondering if anyone has tried this? Any feedback is appreciated.

Jeffort

Re: LR section - working backwards

Postby Jeffort » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:54 am

People have tried that strategy for the same reason about missing questions at the end and thinking its due to being a little careless because pressured for time plus the extra anxiety of the five minute warning and countdown to end of time for the section. A few people here and there over many years have posted that it worked out ok on a few trial runs but I've never heard of a person actually going through with doing it backwards on test day. I've been reading this and the other main boards for LSAT prep for many years and just a few people that liked it a little when they tried it in practice, most people didn't like it after trying it, and nobody that has reported having done it on test day. I suspect that is the case because it doesn't turn out to help you perform better overall on the section for whatever reasons, which I suspect there are several.

Only way to know if it will work better is to try it out and let us know how it goes. I think doing it backwards would just feel all wrong and uncomfortable and impair performance since the pattern and section routine is flipped and would make it feel weird also having to flip backwards in the test instead of forward like habit dictates. It would just make me feel all out of sorts and not in the normal LSAT rhythm you get used to feeling when doing practice tests and that that would throw me off.

TylerJonesMPLS

Postby TylerJonesMPLS » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:55 am

I think this has been discussed before on this board. If you search, you can probably find a lot of views on this question.

I know some people who have done the LR sections backwards. Their idea was to tackle the hardest parts when they were fresh, and then, when they were tired, they would have mostly easier questions to deal with. If you can feel that your energy level is going down as you get to the Qs 20-27, then it may work well for you. Of course, you can also work on building up your endurance- with exercise, experimenting with food and sleep schedules etc.

The only way to find out is to start practicing that way. There is one thing to be careful of. When you are doing the questions backwards, it is easier to make bubbling mistakes, so be careful of that. Be sure to practice your bubbling backwards when you do each LR section backwards.

I know someone who bubbled a whole section in the wrong place. He was an undergrad at Yale, and wanted to go to Yale Law School. He wrote Yale Law School explaining his mistake, and he took a later LSAT and did well. But Yale used the average of his LSAT scores- or anyway, that’s what he thinks they did. They rejected him; he didn’t even get on the wait list. He has *hated* Yale Law School ever since.

Gamine

Postby Gamine » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:18 am

I tried this for the first time yesterday on PT 45 and I scored a total of -4 on LR as opposed to my average of -8. But I started from question 12 onwards and then went back to question 1. I feel that this has been helpful in terms of timing because before I always started running out of time around question 21 whereas this time i finished judt on time. I'm still drilling so hopefully speed will come with familiarity. I don't know about others but I tend to find questions in the later teens quite difficult.

bigsleep1

Postby bigsleep1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Awesome points....

I will try experimenting this week and post results, including working backwards today.

I also am consider going from 1-10, and then 20-27. Ill try that out this week as well.

My endurance is building up definitely, my run yesterday I finished with 8 minutes left (not backwards) but still missed 7. I didnt go back and review, I was just trying to see how quickly I could finish, within reason.

Will keep you guys posted, thanks.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:37 pm

The hardest questions are not set the end, they're in the middle... 14-18 or do, then they get easier till the end again. Working forward the section goes easy, hard, easy... Working back to front is the same thing.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:38 pm

I've considered it, but decided its not for me. I don't want to risk running out of time and not completing the first 8 questions, which obviously count as much as the last 8 and are more guaranteed to be error-proof. I also feel more "warmed up" by doing some gimme questions, so when I get to the hardest ones (#'s 16-21 or so) I feel more in the zone.

Having said that, I definitely have had PT's where I am really out of it by the end of the section. I've taken the real thing twice, and never had that problem on LR... The adrenaline really does make a difference.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Clearly wrote:The hardest questions are not set the end, they're in the middle... 14-18 or do, then they get easier till the end again. Working forward the section goes easy, hard, easy... Working back to front is the same thing.

Agreed mostly, IMO its super easy--> medium ---> hard ---> 1 or 2 killers--> medium. And the second to last question is hard.

bigsleep1

Postby bigsleep1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Reconsidering... if I were to narrow it down, I would say 17-22 area is my weakness.

Seemingly, I miss number 17 on every single test.

Perhaps I will get a bit creative. 7 weeks til test date, hopefully 1-2 weeks of experimenting.

Will post results here as they come.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:52 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:I've considered it, but decided its not for me. I don't want to risk running out of time and not completing the first 8 questions, which obviously count as much as the last 8 and are more guaranteed to be error-proof. I also feel more "warmed up" by doing some gimme questions, so when I get to the hardest ones (#'s 16-21 or so) I feel more in the zone.

Having said that, I definitely have had PT's where I am really out of it by the end of the section. I've taken the real thing twice, and never had that problem on LR... The adrenaline really does make a difference.

Many students do 1-12, 19-26, then 13-18, to get the sure points and if you have time problems, you'll be losing the points you were more likely to lose regardless

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”