February 2014 LSAT Study Group

xylocarp

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:38 pm

Miracle wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
Miracle wrote:Guys,

I've noticed that with a lot of four level questions i understand why the four choices are incorrect, but do not understand why the one correct choice is correct.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Do you have a specific example maybe? My LR mistakes tend to be ones for which I was between two, and one had something wrong with it that I just didn't think of. Understanding why four answers are wrong is much more practically useful!

We can relate in that aspect. If i miss a question I'm usually between the two answers where one is correct, and one is incorrect. In another words, the correct answer is always at play.

Now, to my current issue.

PT35-S1-Q8 or question 197 in Weaken bundle from Cambridge.

A)-what's "equally" harmful to lobsters is irrelevant to our central argument

B)-we are not concerned with open ocean... we are concerned with harbor and how sewage impact lobsters in the harbor.

C)-How often they breed is irrelevant…it doesn't address why the proposal would be pointless.

D)-how diseases can be detected is irrelevant-id doesn't address our concern.

Now, E-which is the correct answer. I picked this one, because i knew the other four were irrelevant, and did not weaken the argument. This one however is also "blehhh"… it doesn't hold any meeting to me what so ever. If they are claiming that hardly any lobsters live long enough to be harmed by those disease, how can they live long enough to influence the health of humans which is what E states. I don't see the connection, therefore have no idea why, or how it could weaken the argument. How could they eat the lobsters if lobsters die? :shock: :wink: I was looking for something that would weaken the conclusion-directly attack the living situation (length) of lobsters, and thats not what i got.

To me it seems like your problem here is how you interpreted the stem. I read "Hardly any lobsters live long enough to be harmed by [gill diseases]" to mean — it's not really a big deal if lobsters contract gill diseases because gill diseases would only affect them, say, a year after they contract it, but lobsters only live, say, 11 months. No lobster would ever be harmed by gill diseases, so why would we care whether or not they contract them? E weakens the argument a whole lot because it basically states that, even if the lobsters in the harbor don't live long enough to be affected THEMSELVES by the disease, if it affects the humans who eat those lobsters then they should still definitely try to prevent the lobsters from getting the disease.

I think MAYBE where you're missing something is where it says that the lobsters won't live long enough to be harmed by the disease — not that they won't live long enough to contract it. So they could easily get the disease, not show any symptoms, end up on a human's plate and make that human sick, which is still a problem even if the lobster was never harmed by the disease.

This is the type of question, if I didn't quite get it the first time, I would circle and go back to at the end. I find that sometimes if I'm just not reading something correctly, I can go do other questions, get my mind off it, and most times catch what I missed when I come back to it later.

Things I learned today: I am much worse at explaining logical reasoning questions than I am at doing logical reasoning questions.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:46 pm

xylocarp wrote:
Miracle wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
Miracle wrote:Guys,

I've noticed that with a lot of four level questions i understand why the four choices are incorrect, but do not understand why the one correct choice is correct.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Do you have a specific example maybe? My LR mistakes tend to be ones for which I was between two, and one had something wrong with it that I just didn't think of. Understanding why four answers are wrong is much more practically useful!

We can relate in that aspect. If i miss a question I'm usually between the two answers where one is correct, and one is incorrect. In another words, the correct answer is always at play.

Now, to my current issue.

PT35-S1-Q8 or question 197 in Weaken bundle from Cambridge.

A)-what's "equally" harmful to lobsters is irrelevant to our central argument

B)-we are not concerned with open ocean... we are concerned with harbor and how sewage impact lobsters in the harbor.

C)-How often they breed is irrelevant…it doesn't address why the proposal would be pointless.

D)-how diseases can be detected is irrelevant-id doesn't address our concern.

Now, E-which is the correct answer. I picked this one, because i knew the other four were irrelevant, and did not weaken the argument. This one however is also "blehhh"… it doesn't hold any meeting to me what so ever. If they are claiming that hardly any lobsters live long enough to be harmed by those disease, how can they live long enough to influence the health of humans which is what E states. I don't see the connection, therefore have no idea why, or how it could weaken the argument. How could they eat the lobsters if lobsters die? :shock: :wink: I was looking for something that would weaken the conclusion-directly attack the living situation (length) of lobsters, and thats not what i got.

To me it seems like your problem here is how you interpreted the stem. I read "Hardly any lobsters live long enough to be harmed by [gill diseases]" to mean — it's not really a big deal if lobsters contract gill diseases because gill diseases would only affect them, say, a year after they contract it, but lobsters only live, say, 11 months. No lobster would ever be harmed by gill diseases, so why would we care whether or not they contract them? E weakens the argument a whole lot because it basically states that, even if the lobsters in the harbor don't live long enough to be affected THEMSELVES by the disease, if it affects the humans who eat those lobsters then they should still definitely try to prevent the lobsters from getting the disease.

I think MAYBE where you're missing something is where it says that the lobsters won't live long enough to be harmed by the disease — not that they won't live long enough to contract it. So they could easily get the disease, not show any symptoms, end up on a human's plate and make that human sick, which is still a problem even if the lobster was never harmed by the disease.

This is the type of question, if I didn't quite get it the first time, I would circle and go back to at the end. I find that sometimes if I'm just not reading something correctly, I can go do other questions, get my mind off it, and most times catch what I missed when I come back to it later.

Things I learned today: I am much worse at explaining logical reasoning questions than I am at doing logical reasoning questions.

Hahah i learned the same thing.

alecks

Postby alecks » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:08 pm

Took 71 today. I got a 165 :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :x

LR 1 -5
LR 2 -5
LG -4
RC -8!!!!!!!!
80 Raw Score 165 scaled.

I basically had a heart attack after I scored this. I don't know how I went -4 on LG and -8 on RC!!! FFFF
I still haven't calmed down. That last passage killed me, and I guessed on 2 LG questions bc I ran out of time :(
very disheartening.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:22 pm

alecks, I don't recall -- what's your target?

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:27 pm

I had a bad day today also...scored a 165 on 66. Went -8 on RC and bad on LG....the whole two page games threw me off. Did the game again and got -1 in 25 minutes. They give you all that space for a reason!

Take the bad days and turn them into good days on ur next PT.

alecks

Postby alecks » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:28 pm

zhenders wrote:alecks, I don't recall -- what's your target?

167 or higher.

alecks

Postby alecks » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:29 pm

90convoy wrote:I had a bad day today also...scored a 165 on 66. Went -8 on RC and bad on LG....the whole two page games threw me off. Did the game again and got -1 in 25 minutes. They give you all that space for a reason!

Take the bad days and turn them into good days on ur next PT.

yes... good advice. turn this bad day into a mega good day in two weeks! agh!

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:30 pm

alecks wrote:
zhenders wrote:alecks, I don't recall -- what's your target?

167 or higher.

You have the same goal as me..Lets get this shit!!!! :twisted:

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:54 pm

I have a confession to make: Reading comprehension section might be my favorite section. :oops:

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:35 pm

Miracle wrote:I have a confession to make: Reading comprehension section might be my favorite section. :oops:

I like RC sometimes. Some passages not so much.

Logic games are actually the most enjoyable for me, despite being by few my worst and least consistent section.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:45 pm

I like RC when my state of mind is clear. Did 3 RC sections in a row today went -8,-1,-5. So I'm just praying for a good day Feb 8th.

alecks

Postby alecks » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:50 pm

My RC is all over the place too, definitely depending on how interested I get in the passage. I basically got all of those questions wrong on the physics passage bc it got hard to understand / I hate physics.

I hope the LSAT gods are on my side Feb 8th as well. Also I like this smiley in regards to how I'm going to do on test day :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

also I misread a question when I was scoring so I technically got a 166 on 71. so.dang.close.to.my.goal.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 pm

I think it all depends on the passages as well. I can handle all reading comprehension passages except the science ones. ughhh sometimes i like science ones, however most of the time i don't! ughhhhh LOL :mrgreen:

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:03 pm

alecks wrote:My RC is all over the place too, definitely depending on how interested I get in the passage. I basically got all of those questions wrong on the physics passage bc it got hard to understand / I hate physics.

I hope the LSAT gods are on my side Feb 8th as well. Also I like this smiley in regards to how I'm going to do on test day :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

also I misread a question when I was scoring so I technically got a 166 on 71. so.dang.close.to.my.goal.

Have you gotten a 167+ before?

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Miracle wrote:I have a confession to make: Reading comprehension section might be my favorite section. :oops:

:mrgreen:

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:10 pm

I've gotten 173-171-170 to 165-168's

I feel like I'm all over

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:13 pm

What's everyone's testing schedule look like for this coming week?

I'm going to do 2 or 3 more LG sections tonight; PT 65 and 66 are Tues/Thurs this week, and tomorrow I'm kicking off drilling with a RC test (taken like a normal test, but with only RC sections).

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:16 pm

Drilling RC tonight…staring in about an hour…drilling all 30's!

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:20 pm

zhenders wrote:What's everyone's testing schedule look like for this coming week?

I'm going to do 2 or 3 more LG sections tonight; PT 65 and 66 are Tues/Thurs this week, and tomorrow I'm kicking off drilling with a RC test (taken like a normal test, but with only RC sections).

Hey, have a question for you.

Do you re-drill the same games/the ones you already completed? Do you re-drill the ones you did "well" on?

For example you got -0 on a linear game, and you know for sure you can do it in your sleep, do you re-visit it or not?
Last edited by Miracle on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:27 pm

zhenders wrote:What's everyone's testing schedule look like for this coming week?

Focusing less on PTs this week and drilling LG hardcore. Maybe one or two PTs. I'll do 3-4 during the last week, I think.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:30 pm

What should I do? I have 5 more PTs left to do and i was planning on doing 3 this week then 2 the final week.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Miracle wrote:

Hey, have a question for you.

Do you re-drill the same games/the ones you already completed? Do you re-drill the ones you did "well" on?

I highly recommend re-doing games, actually. I'm more or less back to where I was a while ago on LG, and the way I got there (-0/-1) was by re-doing games. I actually have a pretty crazy system that DEFINITELY works... Try it if you'd like :) I've recommended it to a few people, and they've benefited from it.

Zac's weird LG study method:

Day 1: Print 4 copies each of 5 games. Do all of those games, and mark your times on them -- take as long as you need to get every question perfect, but don't waste any time. Grade, then IMMEDIATELY re-do all of the games. This time, force yourself to logically eliminate all wrong answer choices before choosing the right answer (this is crucial -- without doing this, re-doing games is useless because you'll just remember half the answers).

Now you have 2 copies of these 5 games left -- we'll call these (A) games.

Day 2: 4 copies each of 5 different games. Repeat day 1 with these games (we can call them (B) games). After you're done, do your 3rd copies of your (A) games.

At this point, you will have done your (A) games 3 times and your (B) games 2 times. Put the 4th copy of your (A) games aside, and repeat Day 2 for a new set of 5 games; after this, you'll set the 4th copies of your (B) games aside.

Do this until you have 15 or 20 games put aside (your 4th copies of A, B, and C -- and D if you're up for it-- games). Take a day off from LG, and the next day, do all of them back-to-back, making sure to force yourself to logically eliminate all wrong answers before selecting a right one.

I know this sounds a little strange, but the idea is to make the process extremely fluid, and to ingrain the methods. In doing this, it becomes super obvious that all LG are basically the same -- and by forcingi yourself to go through the sames again but actually eliminate wrong answer choices, you develop really good habits.

Convoy, that sounds good -- but I might think about reversing that; I think 3/2 is great, and will totally work -- but on the other hand, I don't know if I would want to drill too much the week of the test -- I might focus more on PT's -- so I might drill more next week and only do 2 PTs, then cut out drilling (or back it off) and do 3 PTs the week of the test :)

Either way though, looks good to me!

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:49 pm

Does anyone in this thread work full-time/commute? It seems like yall have pretty open schedules for studying. I'm jealous :mrgreen: :lol:

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:53 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:Does anyone in this thread work full-time/commute? It seems like yall have pretty open schedules for studying. I'm jealous :mrgreen: :lol:

I'm taking 20 credit hours at school, so its kind of difficult

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Is the Cambridge website not working for anybody else? I'm thinking I'll finally pick up a few LG bundles but I can't seem to access it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”