February 2014 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

xylocarp

Platinum

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Post by xylocarp » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:14 pm

zhenders wrote:Xylocarp, I go 4 sections, 15 min. Break, 4 sections (so it's not 2 with experimental back to back). The whole idea is fatigue training, so I make myself wait to grade everything until the end :) it IS hard -- but it's pretty cool and satisfying.

Anecdotally, both times I did it, my SECOND test was 3 or 4 points higher than the firs! Go figure :)

And: bicycles. Fuck em'. On break for 64. Easy game, easy game, WHOABICYCLES, easy game.
I might try this on my test center adventure tomorrow morning. Thanks!
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:59 pm

Xylocarp, for sure :) just go ahead and plan a delicious meal afterwards and maybe a massage. You might hate life for the rest of the day ;-)

--

Overall, happy with 64; just graded it:

LR1: -2
LG: -1
LR2: -2
RC: -1

-6/176

These LR sections felt different; a couple questions really tripped me up. -4 on LR is more than I've missed for five tests or so. Still, -1 on RC (it felt like a significantly easier RC section than usual) balanced it out. It's a point shy of my goal, but still, I'm happy. 65 on tuesday -- drilling until then.

I'm still scared of a really hard LG section on test day. I think I can handle anything else, but one truly insane LG could wreck the test pretty bad.

pech71

New

Post by pech71 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:05 pm

withoutapaddle wrote:After scoring 173- 171- 170 on three previous tests in a row my score dropped to 164 yesterday

I've been drilling for about 8 - 10 hours a day for five days in a row. Should I take a break from drilling PT's? With 15 days left I'm worried that taking any days off is a bad idea
I took a break last night for first time in 2 weeks and I feel great today. So much more efficient on my cases at work too. Breaks are good as long as they are not too often.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:13 pm

zhenders wrote:Xylocarp, for sure :) just go ahead and plan a delicious meal afterwards and maybe a massage. You might hate life for the rest of the day ;-)
Haha, will do. Speaking of delicious meals, has anyone tried Salvadoran food? It's my new obsession.
zhenders wrote:Overall, happy with 64; just graded it:

-6/176

These LR sections felt different; a couple questions really tripped me up. -4 on LR is more than I've missed for five tests or so. Still, -1 on RC (it felt like a significantly easier RC section than usual) balanced it out. It's a point shy of my goal, but still, I'm happy. 65 on tuesday -- drilling until then.

I'm still scared of a really hard LG section on test day. I think I can handle anything else, but one truly insane LG could wreck the test pretty bad.
Congrats on the score! Every section lookin' good.

I have the exact same fear. I feel like if we get an easy LG, I'm going to get mid-170s, and if we get a hard LG, I'm going to get a 120 and then die.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pech71

New

Post by pech71 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:41 pm

xylocarp wrote:
zhenders wrote:Xylocarp, for sure :) just go ahead and plan a delicious meal afterwards and maybe a massage. You might hate life for the rest of the day ;-)
Haha, will do. Speaking of delicious meals, has anyone tried Salvadoran food? It's my new obsession.

-6/176

I have the exact same fear. I feel like if we get an easy LG, I'm going to get mid-170s, and if we get a hard LG, I'm going to get a 120 and then die.
woah...that escalated quickly.....

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Just ordered the 180watch. Shits getting real now. Expecting an automatic 3 point boost.

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:49 pm

zhenders wrote:
Miracle wrote:
zhenders wrote:There's a Mitt Romney documentary? So he's running again? *sigh*

Also: great idea with your school reading, BankruptMe -- and frankly, not now will it be useful for LSAT, it will mean you will OWN that material in class.

I'm at the coffee shop, about to begin PT64. Shooting for 3 good ones in a row.
3 PT's?

Back to back, or some break in between?
Aah! No :-) the last two I did were at my target score -- I'm just hoping this one is too.

With that said, I've done two tests back to back twice now, and I highly recommend it for fatigue training; next week, I will probably be doing 70/71 back to back on Thursday, then drilling on Friday before the Saturday test. After you do a back-to-back test, 5 sections feels crazy easy.
Do you plan to take any other back to back before test day? How long ago did you do this? Also have you taken 70/71 before?

I'd like to test this out.
Last edited by Nicolena. on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:51 pm

pech71 wrote:
xylocarp wrote:

-6/176

woah...that escalated quickly.....
I dunno I thought it was pretty reasonable

*sarcasm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:53 pm

zhenders wrote:
Miracle wrote:

Also: great idea with your school reading, BankruptMe -- and frankly, not now will it be useful for LSAT, it will mean you will OWN that material in class.

3 PT's?

Aah! No :-) the last two I did were at my target score -- I'm just hoping this one is too.

With that said, I've done two tests back to back twice now, and I highly recommend it for fatigue training; next week, I will probably be doing 70/71 back to back on Thursday, then drilling on Friday before the Saturday test. After you do a back-to-back test, 5 sections feels crazy easy.
Im sooo trying it!!!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:54 pm

xylocarp wrote:
zhenders wrote:
Miracle wrote:

3 PT's?

When you do back to back tests, how much of a break do you take in between, if any? And do you score and/or go over the first PT before the second? I'm always super curious about how I did by the last section, so I'd probably have trouble just going on to the next one haha.
Im interested in this as well.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:54 pm

I hope not! He is a hot mess.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Miracle wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
zhenders wrote:

When you do back to back tests, how much of a break do you take in between, if any? And do you score and/or go over the first PT before the second? I'm always super curious about how I did by the last section, so I'd probably have trouble just going on to the next one haha.
Im interested in this as well.
zhenders wrote: Xylocarp, I go 4 sections, 15 min. Break, 4 sections (so it's not 2 with experimental back to back). The whole idea is fatigue training, so I make myself wait to grade everything until the end :) it IS hard -- but it's pretty cool and satisfying.

Anecdotally, both times I did it, my SECOND test was 3 or 4 points higher than the firs! Go figure :)
HTH :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alecks

Bronze

Post by alecks » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:26 pm

these last few points are elluding me. I seriously need to do like, +3/+4 better to hit/go over my goal. I panicked so badly yesterday and didn't finish my PT, back it it today after work and this weekend. I'm so scared :shock:

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:27 pm

alecks wrote:these last few points are elluding me. I seriously need to do like, +3/+4 better to hit/go over my goal. I panicked so badly yesterday and didn't finish my PT, back it it today after work and this weekend. I'm so scared :shock:
Don't be discouraged! What types of scores do you get per section? /How's your LG (since everybody says that's the easiest to improve on)?

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:33 pm

alecks wrote:these last few points are elluding me. I seriously need to do like, +3/+4 better to hit/go over my goal. I panicked so badly yesterday and didn't finish my PT, back it it today after work and this weekend. I'm so scared :shock:
Don't sweat it. Do your best to stay relaxed during this next one; one section at a time :)

WRT tests back to back:

--I did this with -- as I remember -- 49/50 and 55/56.

--I have not taken 70/71 yet -- actually, at this point I have never (and won't have for the February test) retaken a PT; it's all fresh (I started my PTs at 41, and use 1-40/ already taken PTs for drilling)

--I don't plan on doing this again until 70/71, nope :)

-- and as I mentioned earlier, the idea behind it is to basically "overload" yourself intentionally, so that you unconsciously adjust on future tests to compensate for a longer test than it actually is. It's no different than doing a couple 10K runs before a competitive 5K -- it's just volume training :-)

For me it's all psychological; it's one more way to lower the pressure on test day.

And thanks Xylo, working hard here! And yeah, I totally understand what you mean. Super tough logic game on test day = I SHALL FAIL ALL OF THE THINGS in my mind.

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:56 pm

Just got my vault career guide to washington dc law firms.

Will give me extra encouragement to keep studying

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eddiemen2a

New

Post by eddiemen2a » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Was taking 61, got kicked out of the library 25 mins into section one. I was already in "the groove" I'm pretty pissed. What university library closes at 5? Gonna try and continue at home although i feel like it's a waste of a preptest. /rant

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:11 pm

eddiemen2a wrote:Was taking 61, got kicked out of the library 25 mins into section one. I was already in "the groove" I'm pretty pissed. What university library closes at 5? Gonna try and continue at home although i feel like it's a waste of a preptest. /rant
Its Friday.

Most libs close from 5-8pm

eddiemen2a

New

Post by eddiemen2a » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:13 pm

Yeah you're right. Still pissed, lol

alecks

Bronze

Post by alecks » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:18 pm

xylocarp wrote:
Don't be discouraged! What types of scores do you get per section? /How's your LG (since everybody says that's the easiest to improve on)?
RC I'm usually -5 or less, LR it's -4 / -1, and LG it's usually -2/3 but I got -5 on PT 68 the other day... ugh.
Typically it's a combination. I went 166 on PT 65 and 169 on PT 58 as my last two tests. I'm hoping to get a 167-169 on the actual... so I'm sooooo close. I haven't drilled in a while, I've only been doing timed sections so maybe that could help with those couple extra points?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:24 pm

that feel when you miss -9 on rc, and miss 9 total on the rest of the exam.

and it was like a -2/-2/-3/-2. choplin passage really hurt my morale even though i thought i did worse. ocean passage screwed me on time and guessed/half assed on the last one. same ole shit all the time.

man, also, fuck that ball lg. i had like a good 9 minutes but dropped the ball. haha get it, ball drop. haha im so funny hahahahahahahahah not.

someone tell me that im going -0 on rc on test day. pls

what i did do that helped with my lr because i went -4/-3 for anyone in my situation... i drilled some 170 problems the day before. felt good.

for all my feb bros and gals, we are getting 4 straight up linear games with basic rules for an easy peasy -0.

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:28 pm

unodostres wrote:that feel when you miss -9 on rc, and miss 9 total on the rest of the exam.

and it was like a -2/-2/-3/-2. choplin passage really hurt my morale even though i thought i did worse. ocean passage screwed me on time and guessed/half assed on the last one. same ole shit all the time.

man, also, fuck that ball lg. i had like a good 9 minutes but dropped the ball. haha get it, ball drop. haha im so funny hahahahahahahahah not.

what i did do that helped with my lr because i went -4/-3 for anyone in my situation... i drilled some 170 problems the day before. felt good.

for all my feb bros and gals, we are getting 4 straight up linear games with basic rules for an easy peasy -0.
The force is strong with this one

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:32 pm

BankruptMe wrote:
unodostres wrote:that feel when you miss -9 on rc, and miss 9 total on the rest of the exam.

The force is strong with this one
thanks babes. gunna work it hard tonight and do some more drilling.

playing this everywhere I go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyWXKeBsNk

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:44 pm

alecks wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
RC I'm usually -5 or less, LR it's -4 / -1, and LG it's usually -2/3 but I got -5 on PT 68 the other day... ugh.
Typically it's a combination. I went 166 on PT 65 and 169 on PT 58 as my last two tests. I'm hoping to get a 167-169 on the actual... so I'm sooooo close. I haven't drilled in a while, I've only been doing timed sections so maybe that could help with those couple extra points?
Yes, absolutely drill. For a lot (if not most) people, drilling is by far the most efficient way to improve performance on individual sections.
That said, it sounds like you are definitely on track to reach your target score in February. Just keep at it!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”