February 2014 LSAT Study Group

zhenders

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby zhenders » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:42 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:
@RG,

I just finished 61; I'm even more impressed with your kicking 61's logic games in the ass! I usually to pretty well on LG (-0 to -1), but that Logic Games section totally ate my lunch! :) if you can nail an LG section as difficult as that one, just keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure you're going to do GREAT on test day.

Thanks man, what did you think of the rest of the test? pretty average RC?

I felt personally as though RC was about normal, but LR was tougher than normal. The wording in 60 and 61 were definitely different from earlier ones -- I'm hoping I get used to it.

Usually I have 5-10 minutes extra on all except RC; this time, I was bubbling on the wire for every section.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Usually I have 5-10 minutes extra on all

Impressive

For the first section of LR, it took me 20 minutes to get through the first 15 questions and I missed a few of them! I haven't reviewed yet because I went to the bar last night and took the day off. But, I'm curious to find out why it took me so long.

sanibella

Postby sanibella » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:11 am

Post removed
Last edited by sanibella on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:07 am

Honestly, I don't think this tells you much. I would take a more recent pt like 52+ and then reevaluate where you stand.

sanibella wrote:Feeling a bit frustrated.

I studied for almost a month in August but decided against taking the October or December exam, figuring I would stay where I was career-wise for another year because I enjoy it so much. But I have been thinking lately about applying for next year and figured I would give the Feb a shot. I just took a PT (32?) and am not thrilled.

LR 1: -3
RC: -5
LG: -4
LR 2: -2

I know it's a good score and everything, but my diagnostic in August was a 172! My LR has improved but my RC, usually the section I breeze through, has definitely taken a turn for the worse. Wasn't best conditions but that's no excuse. Hoping for a 175 on test day. What say you, TLS?

sanibella

Post removed

Postby sanibella » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:16 am

Post removed
Last edited by sanibella on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:58 am

I studied for almost a month in August but decided against taking the October or December exam, figuring I would stay where I was career-wise for another year because I enjoy it so much. But I have been thinking lately about applying for next year and figured I would give the Feb a shot. I just took a PT (32?) and am not thrilled.

I know it's a good score and everything, but my diagnostic in August was a 172! My LR has improved but my RC, usually the section I breeze through, has definitely taken a turn for the worse. Wasn't best conditions but that's no excuse. Hoping for a 175 on test day. What say you, TLS?

If your diagnostic was a 172 and you only studied for a month, I think you need to focus on LG right now. Most people agree that with consistent drilling and a good method (opinions on that vary; I've heard good things about PowerScore, Velocity, 7Sage, LSAT Trainer...) most people should be able to get that down to -0 every time with the occasional -1, maybe. Getting that -4 to -0 will make a big difference on test day.

Take some later PTs (60s) to make sure you're comfortable with newer LR and RC. Also, I wouldn't stress about RC unless it becomes a consistent problem; this PT's RC might have just been an outlier for you — happens to everybody once in a while. Just make sure you're reviewing your PTs intelligently, and try to identify your weaknesses so that you can be on the lookout for them (and improve upon them) in the future.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:11 am

xylocarp wrote:

If your diagnostic was a 172 and you only studied for a month, I think you need to focus on LG right now. Most people agree that with consistent drilling and a good method (opinions on that vary; I've heard good things about PowerScore, Velocity, 7Sage, LSAT Trainer...) most people should be able to get that down to -0 every time with the occasional -1, maybe. Getting that -4 to -0 will make a big difference on test day.

Take some later PTs (60s) to make sure you're comfortable with newer LR and RC. Also, I wouldn't stress about RC unless it becomes a consistent problem; this PT's RC might have just been an outlier for you — happens to everybody once in a while. Just make sure you're reviewing your PTs intelligently, and try to identify your weaknesses so that you can be on the lookout for them (and improve upon them) in the future.

One PT after a diagnostic in August doesn't really tell you anything, friend :) follow the above advice.

Note that if you'd had your LG on lockdown, that would have been a 174 (-14 on 32's a 170). With that said, if you are serious about testing February, you MUST be looking at more recent tests.

Your post suggests that you might have only just made this decision. To confirm, you have already signed up, right? (Deadline's passed)

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 am

RobertGolddust wrote:Just something I wanted to share with my fellow test takers. I'm convinced that PS ordering method is superior to 7 sage's for the newer tests. Rules where something could occur before, after, or on the same day seem to pop up more frequently, and 7sage's method for accommodating these rules is too cluttered; PS method is perfect.

What is PS mean? Power score?

Postby 10052014 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:31 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

sanibella

Postby sanibella » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:18 pm

Post removed
Last edited by sanibella on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanibella

Post removed

Postby sanibella » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:21 pm

Post removed
Last edited by sanibella on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:54 pm

sanibella wrote:I went through the PS Bible back in August, which along with some Cambridge drilling was the bulk of my studying. I brute forced my way mentally through LG before I learned how to diagram, which I think I still rely on a bit too much. I think you are right, that I really need to focus on improving that, particularly timing. The last three questions in the section were 3 of the 4 that I got wrong. Do you have any timing tips? I just read yesterday about answering the "must" questions before the "could" and that has helped so far.

I hope it was an outlier! I never got more than 1 wrong before on RC. I actually prefer the new format because I like comparative RC better than just a single passage. However, I only studied part-time in August for almost a month so I haven't had the amount of practice to make a definitive statement about my ability.

Honestly, LG and specifically LG timing are my biggest hurdles right now. I've just been drilling drilling drilling and it's been helping a LOT. That's what I'd recommend, but it's not like I've mastered it either.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:55 pm

sanibella wrote:I will focus on most recent tests. Does that include for drilling, too? Or should I still be drilling the old sections? I could drill from most recent LSAT released test booklet and then purchase PDFs of the newest tests and use those as my full-length practice tests. What do you think?

Personally I drill older sections and only newer sections IF I've taken the PT already. It's best to take as many fresh, new PTs as possible without having already seen any of the sections IMO.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:04 pm

sanibella wrote:
zhenders wrote:
xylocarp wrote:

One PT after a diagnostic in August doesn't really tell you anything, friend :) follow the above advice.

Note that if you'd had your LG on lockdown, that would have been a 174 (-14 on 32's a 170). With that said, if you are serious about testing February, you MUST be looking at more recent tests.

Your post suggests that you might have only just made this decision. To confirm, you have already signed up, right? (Deadline's passed)

:oops: :) Point taken. I did sign up the day before the final late deadline. I will focus on most recent tests. Does that include for drilling, too? Or should I still be drilling the old sections? I could drill from most recent LSAT released test booklet and then purchase PDFs of the newest tests and use those as my full-length practice tests. What do you think?

Well, my opinion on that question depends upon how you do on a recent (60's) diagnostic.

If I were in your position, I would first take a very recent diagnostic under strict conditions. If you hit 170 or better on that, then I would do ALL of my work from tests after 40 -- drilling and testing. I might go far as to say, leave 55-71 for PTing (find time to do one a day until test day -- at least weekdays) and use 40-54 for drilling.

If you were waiting for June, I would absolutely agree with Xylocarp -- but since you're taking in February -- 3 weeks from now basically -- I think it would be to your benefit to focus on new materials only.

Be super strict about that diagnostic. If you already are, then great! But if you are giving yourself ANY lenience, then your score won't be reflective and do NOT follow my advice :)

Best of luck!

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:11 pm

PT 58 tonight after way too long a study break. Social life? Three weeks before the LSAT?

Anyway, wish me luck February LSATers!

pech71

Postby pech71 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:31 pm

woke up at 4 am and have been studying since........fml

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:54 pm

xylocarp wrote:PT 58 tonight after way too long a study break. Social life? Three weeks before the LSAT?

Just took 58 after 5 days off/light drilling...

SAME SCORE. This is getting old - I only need 3 more points.

pech, that's brutal. You're still getting quality studying in? I definitely wouldn't be able to go that long.

pech71

Postby pech71 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:00 pm

cloy26 wrote:
xylocarp wrote:PT 58 tonight after way too long a study break. Social life? Three weeks before the LSAT?

Just took 58 after 5 days off/light drilling...

SAME SCORE. This is getting old - I only need 3 more points.

pech, that's brutal. You're still getting quality studying in? I definitely wouldn't be able to go that long.

long days don't really affect me...just want to be doing ANYTHING but studying!! like bashing my head against a wall....it seems more fun?

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:26 pm

pech71 wrote:woke up at 4 am and have been studying since........fml

Wowwww!!! How many breaks in between?

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Just to report to everyone-i survived through 7sage videos (barely :mrgreen: )

Will give it another try tonight :wink:

Wish me good luck everyone!

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Miracle wrote:Just to report to everyone-i survived through 7sage videos (barely :mrgreen: )

I lol'd. Glad to hear it, Miracle :-)

Best of luck all of you taking a test over the weekend. Kill it!

After a brutal PT61, I've decided that no matter how confident I am on LG, the skills for them are totally "use it or lose it". On non-test days, it's a minimum of 10 LG's/day for me.

So far it's going well. I'm also doing them in pen -- one problem I've been having on LG has been going too quickly and making costly diagramming mistakes or, more commonly, totally skipping/mis-reading rules. The pen reminds me I can't move backwards, it seems to be helping my concentration! (I'm susceptible to mind-hacking -- this may not help everyone).

Anyways, checking in and all that. Have a great weekend. And also a beer or glass of wine or some scotch or something. Seriously -- don't brain fry, friends :)

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:10 pm

Despite my study break, today's PT went great! :D Weird pattern of wrong answers though.

PT 58: LR1 -1, LR2 -1, RC -1, LG -1. Raw score 97/101, scaled 177. No regrets about spending this Saturday night in!

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:52 pm

xylocarp wrote:Despite my study break, today's PT went great! :D Weird pattern of wrong answers though.

PT 58: LR1 -1, LR2 -1, RC -1, LG -1. Raw score 97/101, scaled 177. No regrets about spending this Saturday night in!

Hell yeah! Great job :) bye bye, 171 streak!

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:33 am

zhenders wrote:
Miracle wrote:Just to report to everyone-i survived through 7sage videos (barely :mrgreen: )

I lol'd. Glad to hear it, Miracle :-)

Best of luck all of you taking a test over the weekend. Kill it!

After a brutal PT61, I've decided that no matter how confident I am on LG, the skills for them are totally "use it or lose it". On non-test days, it's a minimum of 10 LG's/day for me.

So far it's going well. I'm also doing them in pen -- one problem I've been having on LG has been going too quickly and making costly diagramming mistakes or, more commonly, totally skipping/mis-reading rules. The pen reminds me I can't move backwards, it seems to be helping my concentration! (I'm susceptible to mind-hacking -- this may not help everyone).

Anyways, checking in and all that. Have a great weekend. And also a beer or glass of wine or some scotch or something. Seriously -- don't brain fry, friends :)

What method do you use for LG?

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:50 am

Miracle, I follow 7sage's method mostly -- I find it to be the most intuitive.

With that said, JY splits game boards up a bit more often than I do. Any more than 3 or 4 game boards and I won't split it -- I just don't get a great time return, and I have a tendency to confuse myself :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”