February 2014 LSAT Study Group

RobertGolddust

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby RobertGolddust » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:48 pm

A school said to me that when students are 3-4 points below where they want to be and scoring in high 150's to low 160's to just study your worst section and stay consistent on the others.

Since it is easier to improve upon a -10 to -14 by getting 6-8 more correct rather than to try to get 2 more right on each section and absorb more material in a short time, they found that Applicants were much more likely to hit their target score.

This doesn't work if you are trying to go from 170 to 175 since you are not answering that many incorrect. But a 160 is generally 27 to 30 wrong.

Good advice! Games are my weakness, for I miss anywhere from 8 to 11 questions.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:52 pm

Does anyone else feel like the RC is easier to read and almost more interesting in the older passages compared to the newer ones?

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Does anyone else feel like the RC is easier to read and almost more interesting in the older passages compared to the newer ones?

I don't know how I feel about this, Nicole.

But I do think that older RC is different than newer RC. The most notable difference, for me, is the diversity/humanities passages in the older RC tend to be easier, whereas the new diversity passages tend to be more difficult, and the science passages in old RC tend to be more difficult than the newer science passages.

Many people say that new RC is much harder than old RC. I tend to disagree due to the fact that I find comparative reading passages easy and more than enough compensation for an increase of difficultly that might have occurred.

pech71

Postby pech71 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:54 am

RobertGolddust wrote:
A school said to me that when students are 3-4 points below where they want to be and scoring in high 150's to low 160's to just study your worst section and stay consistent on the others.

Since it is easier to improve upon a -10 to -14 by getting 6-8 more correct rather than to try to get 2 more right on each section and absorb more material in a short time, they found that Applicants were much more likely to hit their target score.

This doesn't work if you are trying to go from 170 to 175 since you are not answering that many incorrect. But a 160 is generally 27 to 30 wrong.

Good advice! Games are my weakness, for I miss anywhere from 8 to 11 questions.

games are the easiest section to improve on since they are predictable. I would say if you focus 80% of your studying on games and got that to a -2...you would almost guarantee yourself a nice size bump in your score.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:28 pm

PT 61

RC-8
LR: -10
LG: -2

I started RC clouded so I spent the first twelve minutes on one passage. This forced me to speed through on the last passage, universal declaration of human rights, and I missed the first four on it (!). Very satisfied with the LG, things finally came together and I now know the feeling of a good games section.

Anyone think its possible to shave some points off LR before test day? If so, any suggestions?

alecks

Postby alecks » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:10 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:PT 61

RC-8

I started RC clouded so I spent the first twelve minutes on one passage. This forced me to speed through on the last passage, universal declaration of human rights, and I missed the first four on it (!). Very satisfied with the LG, things finally came together and I now know the feeling of a good games section.

Anyone think its possible to shave some points off LR before test day? If so, any suggestions?

how wrong are you getting the questions you get wrong?? by that I mean, are you eliminating to one wrong answer and the the right one? or are you totally missing the mark? are you getting a lot of questions wrong towards the end of the test?

if there are specific questions types you're getting wrong, perhaps try and drill those as much as you can. It helped for me to spend an entire day rereading the chapters on sufficient / necessary and just drilling them until I could really see the patterns / differences.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:44 pm

7sage is driving me nuts!!! the way he speaks drives me nuts!!! short, quick sentences…very broken :mrgreen: i just can't listen to him. i'm losing patience.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:34 pm

Miracle wrote:7sage is driving me nuts!!! the way he speaks drives me nuts!!! short, quick sentences…very broken :mrgreen: i just can't listen to him. i'm losing patience.

lol. You're the first person I've ever heard say that -- from the 7sage forums, you'd almost get the impression that half of the people on there put on JY's logic games explanations before bed like some kids ask their parents for bedtime stories.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:41 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:PT 61

RC-8

Nice job, RG :) that score keeps ticking up.

Have you evaluated your LR to see if there are certain question types you are missing? If not, you should absolutely do that -- you may discover there are a handful of question types that you could be focusing on.

I have a really wonderful list that someone made of question types in each PT -- if you find that focusing on certain question types makes sense for you, let me know and I'll upload/link that file.

Postby 10052014 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:43 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:48 pm

zhenders wrote:
Miracle wrote:7sage is driving me nuts!!! the way he speaks drives me nuts!!! short, quick sentences…very broken :mrgreen: i just can't listen to him. i'm losing patience.

lol. You're the first person I've ever heard say that -- from the 7sage forums, you'd almost get the impression that half of the people on there put on JY's logic games explanations before bed like some kids ask their parents for bedtime stories.

I will give him another try in about 5-10 minutes but it will be hard. I tried to listen to him twice today and he drove me nuts both times. :mrgreen: i lost patience. The constant clicking and circling…and short sharp sentences to match it. Lol i can't..but, lets try again i guess.

Wish me god luck. :wink:
Last edited by Miracle on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:49 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
zhenders wrote:

I love his voice. Why?

After watching about 160 of his videos, when I would do logic games, I would imagine him explaining the game I was currently doing.
For example, he usually says "at this point, since I cant split the board, and the rules don't interact, its time to move on to the questions." - After thinking this, I would move on to the questions while doing a game timed.

maybe this is weird, but hey, I'm thinking like j.y. - not necessarily the worst thing in the world, eh? 8)

Yeah, I like his voice too. Or at least I don't mind it. I don't know what I would do without those videos honestly.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:51 pm

xylocarp wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:
zhenders wrote:

I love his voice. Why?

After watching about 160 of his videos, when I would do logic games, I would imagine him explaining the game I was currently doing.
For example, he usually says "at this point, since I cant split the board, and the rules don't interact, its time to move on to the questions." - After thinking this, I would move on to the questions while doing a game timed.

maybe this is weird, but hey, I'm thinking like j.y. - not necessarily the worst thing in the world, eh? 8)

Yeah, I like his voice too. Or at least I don't mind it. I don't know what I would do without those videos honestly.

I don't mind his voice. I mind how he uses it lol

Postby 10052014 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:52 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Try to stick it out, Miracle -- his advice really IS tops.

Also, for whomever has seen The Desolation of Smaug, I thought this was hilarious. Def. check it out for a laugh.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nJOSAwNzyi4

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:19 pm

zhenders wrote:Try to stick it out, Miracle -- his advice really IS tops.

Also, for whomever has seen The Desolation of Smaug, I thought this was hilarious. Def. check it out for a laugh.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nJOSAwNzyi4

I'm will try to. Ill let you know how it went tomorrow night, because i am pulling an all-nighter tonight, and we will see how many games i will be able to accomplish :)

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:04 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:btw, xylo - i see that you are taking quite a few pts every now and then. How often do you take them and how do you review them?

thanks

I was trying to take 3/week, but then this week I messed it up because I was busy playing hostess for six adults visiting me and staying in my 700 sqft. apartment. I'm going to try to take 3 (or at least 2) this weekend though, and then back to 3/week until the final week when I'll do 4 or 5.

I try to review right after I take a PT instead of the day after or later (as per advice on this thread; it's really been helping me). I do blind review for LG, but not for the other sections because I tend to have enough time to go over every question I'm unsure of during the 35 minutes anyway. I also watch 7Sage videos for LG if I struggled with the set-up at all or can't easily figure out my mistakes with blind review.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:05 am

Had a gray day dream last night in which I got a 155...

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:17 am

I haven't touched LSAT in 3 days and I feel a bit better today. I'm going to hit it hard from here until test day. Woo.

Now to just get RC consistent... :|

ETA: received my first admission to my saftey. woo. How many of you are testing for scholarships/get off waitlists?

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:20 am

Congrats, cloy :-) security feels good. Now when you retest, you can remind yourself that you're IN -- this test is icing on an already delicious cake.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:44 pm

cloy26 wrote:I haven't touched LSAT in 3 days and I feel a bit better today. I'm going to hit it hard from here until test day. Woo.

ETA: received my first admission to my saftey. woo. How many of you are testing for scholarships/get off waitlists?

Awesome, congratulations! That should make Feb. 8 way less stressful, knowing that no matter what you're in somewhere anyway.

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:15 pm

xylocarp wrote:
cloy26 wrote:I haven't touched LSAT in 3 days and I feel a bit better today. I'm going to hit it hard from here until test day. Woo.

Awesome, congratulations! That should make Feb. 8 way less stressful, knowing that no matter what you're in somewhere anyway.

I don't know if that's a blessing or a curse lately...

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:53 pm

@RG,

I just finished 61; I'm even more impressed with your kicking 61's logic games in the ass! I usually to pretty well on LG (-0 to -1), but that Logic Games section totally ate my lunch! :) if you can nail an LG section as difficult as that one, just keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure you're going to do GREAT on test day.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:36 pm

@RG,

I just finished 61; I'm even more impressed with your kicking 61's logic games in the ass! I usually to pretty well on LG (-0 to -1), but that Logic Games section totally ate my lunch! :) if you can nail an LG section as difficult as that one, just keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure you're going to do GREAT on test day.

Thanks man, what did you think of the rest of the test? pretty average RC?

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Just something I wanted to share with my fellow test takers. I'm convinced that PS ordering method is superior to 7 sage's for the newer tests. Rules where something could occur before, after, or on the same day seem to pop up more frequently, and 7sage's method for accommodating these rules is too cluttered; PS method is perfect.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”