February 2014 LSAT Study Group

90convoy

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:20 pm

pech71 wrote:
Tlucidum wrote:Just finished 60, -0 on both LR + LG, but -5 on RC for a 176 total. That final passage on Australian contingency-fee agreements killed me, I didn't even have time to get to the last couple of questions. I know that you could fill a library with all the RC discussion on this forum, but even with that much information I can't for the life of me seem to get over this RC hump. Regardless, let's keep it up, we're closing in fast!

I can't get by this leaving the office, coming home and drinking a 6 pack hump instead of studying. :(

drink the 6-pack after studying broski

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:31 pm

90c and Tlucid, nice job :-) killer stuff. Keep it up.

Don't get discouraged folks. It is what is is -- and what it is is a necessary evil standing between you and your goals. Keep hitting it with a heavy stick; it'll go down eventually.

Tlucidum

Postby Tlucidum » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:15 am

pech71 wrote:I can't get by this leaving the office, coming home and drinking a 6 pack hump instead of studying. :(

You know, I think I'm going to have a few glasses of whiskey the morning of the 8th and try to Hemingway this thing

haus

Postby haus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:48 am

Tlucidum wrote:
pech71 wrote:I can't get by this leaving the office, coming home and drinking a 6 pack hump instead of studying. :(

You know, I think I'm going to have a few glasses of whiskey the morning of the 8th and try to Hemingway this thing

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/h ... -1.1059752

pech71

Postby pech71 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:29 am

haus wrote:
Tlucidum wrote:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/h ... -1.1059752

You sir deserve a 180 for bringing this article to my attention. Good karma is coming your way!!

samblackbones

Postby samblackbones » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:18 pm

LG 50 done this morning. -1. Took my time but still considering that a marked improvement from -7 in DEC's test.

TLS2011

Postby TLS2011 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:22 pm

samblackbones wrote:LG 50 done this morning. -1. Took my time but still considering that a marked improvement from -7 in DEC's test.

It's crazy what a little time can do. I can miss -1/-2 on LR when not timed, then I time myself and it bumps up to -5/-6. Then when I go back through, I can correct the majority of the ones I miss. Not much time left, but I need to get this figured out!

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:38 pm

TLS2011 wrote:
samblackbones wrote:LG 50 done this morning. -1. Took my time but still considering that a marked improvement from -7 in DEC's test.

It's crazy what a little time can do. I can miss -1/-2 on LR when not timed, then I time myself and it bumps up to -5/-6. Then when I go back through, I can correct the majority of the ones I miss. Not much time left, but I need to get this figured out!

So I've had an idea with respect to exactly this. I don't have a sports watch that can calculate splits anymore (the kind that can record up to 50 laps or whatever, and all you have to do is press a button while the timer's going, and it automatically tracks the total time, and each individual lap), but I have sort of an idea about taking a timed (or untimed, really) test, and using a sports watch to track exactly how long each question takes you. I can imagine that if you tracked three or four tests this way and then analyzed which questions took you significantly longer than others, you'd be able to determine question types that you need to speed up on.

I think this could potentially be useful even in a way that tracking your misses isn't, in that it seems entirely possible that there might be a question type or two that one spends a lot of time on every time one encounters it, but which one also gets right almost every time (making it sort of "invisible" in terms of specifically studying for it). This method could make those question types visible, and allow you to drill them, hopefully decreasing their time :)

If you have a split watch and you're up to trying this, I'd love to know if this theory works in practice.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:57 pm

zhenders wrote:
TLS2011 wrote:

So I've had an idea with respect to exactly this. I don't have a sports watch that can calculate splits anymore (the kind that can record up to 50 laps or whatever, and all you have to do is press a button while the timer's going, and it automatically tracks the total time, and each individual lap), but I have sort of an idea about taking a timed (or untimed, really) test, and using a sports watch to track exactly how long each question takes you. I can imagine that if you tracked three or four tests this way and then analyzed which questions took you significantly longer than others, you'd be able to determine question types that you need to speed up on.

I think this could potentially be useful even in a way that tracking your misses isn't, in that it seems entirely possible that there might be a question type or two that one spends a lot of time on every time one encounters it, but which one also gets right almost every time (making it sort of "invisible" in terms of specifically studying for it). This method could make those question types visible, and allow you to drill them, hopefully decreasing their time :)

If you have a split watch and you're up to trying this, I'd love to know if this theory works in practice.

There's probably an app for that :mrgreen: I know on iPhones you can just use the stopwatch with the "lap" function

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:46 pm

xylocarp wrote:

There's probably an app for that :mrgreen: I know on iPhones you can just use the stopwatch with the "lap" function

Brilliant!

alecks

Postby alecks » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:03 pm

a random note:

I was getting anywhere from -5 to -10 on LR timed, and about -2/-3 untimed, and I was realizing I was missing questions bc I didn't have enough time to really understand them before answering. With time I've gotten better, and I usually go -0 /-3 timed NOW, and for the most part I can go through the whole section and get most right, but will circle maybe 1/2 and come back to them, and a good majority of the time when I come back to the question I select the right answer.

What I'm saying is, blowing through the first half of the section without taking up too much time is essential (to me, at least) to doing better at LR sooo maybe that'll work for someone else??? IDK, one day I took a PT and got -7 on both LR sections, and I woke up the next day and have been getting -3 or better ever since.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:06 pm

Alecks,

Same thing here; literally the moment I forced myself to complete the first 15 in 15 minutes or less, my score spiked, and has stayed there; my test average went up 5 points.

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:13 pm

alecks, im in the same boat.

15 in 15 is my goal. got shat on by pt58. holy guacamole.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:14 am

Any idea on how to jump from the low 160s to the mid 160s before test. My plan is to become a game master , for I usually miss am excessive amount on this section.

samblackbones

Postby samblackbones » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:56 am

RobertGolddust wrote:Any idea on how to jump from the low 160s to the mid 160s before test. My plan is to become a game master, for I usually miss am excessive amount on this section.

Are you generally a good test taker?
I think being calm and collected come test day was good for quite a few points on my Dec test (especially on the non-games sections where I did a lot better). Do what you can to be mentally ready come test day.
Worked through the 51 games in 40 mins today and went -0. Hopefully averaging 4 games sections a day for 2 weeks or so will get me where I want to be :p - especially time wise!!!

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:17 am

51 games in 40 minutes?????!!!??

pech71

Postby pech71 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:47 am

RobertGolddust wrote:Any idea on how to jump from the low 160s to the mid 160s before test. My plan is to become a game master , for I usually miss am excessive amount on this section.

A school said to me that when students are 3-4 points below where they want to be and scoring in high 150's to low 160's to just study your worst section and stay consistent on the others.

Since it is easier to improve upon a -10 to -14 by getting 6-8 more correct rather than to try to get 2 more right on each section and absorb more material in a short time, they found that Applicants were much more likely to hit their target score.

This doesn't work if you are trying to go from 170 to 175 since you are not answering that many incorrect. But a 160 is generally 27 to 30 wrong.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:46 am

Had my first LSAT dream last night. IT is fuzzy, but I think I got like a 170 or something.

My strategy is studying my worst sections first. I am banging through logical reasoning till sunday. Logic Games for the next two weeks. RC the last week of january. And I am practice testing twice a week. Should have 8 done. I hope it is enough

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:58 pm

Guys I haven't studied at all in two days
things just piled up
what do I do
what if today I suck

help

pech71

Postby pech71 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:19 pm

xylocarp wrote:Guys I haven't studied at all in two days
things just piled up
what do I do
what if today I suck

help

don't worry...be happy.

TLS2011

Postby TLS2011 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:23 pm

things just piled up
what do I do
what if today I suck

help

Cancel your test. Study for another year.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Just took PT 60. That felt way scary. Haven't graded it yet.

I've heard tale of the 60's feeling "different"... If they all feel like PT60 did for me, I'm a little freaked out lol.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:10 pm

things just piled up
what do I do
what if today I suck

help

Don't worry, it happens! Just jump back in; today isn't test day or anything -- and while our PT scores and our averages may feel super important, they don't mean anything compared to test day :)

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:24 pm

Health problems flair up in the final weeks leading up to test day... Love it. As if I wasn't stressed out enough. Today was the third time in 2 months that I've had blood work done... CT scan on the 27th and a bone marrow biopsy on the 28th... :|

The stress is really starting to get to me. No matter how much I sleep I wake up absolutely exhausted. Panic attacks have become the norm. I can hardly make it through a PT (and that's if I force myself to even attempt it). I'm REALLY beginning to think about alternative careers. fwiw, I'm not T14 material - shooting for a regional school. Ideas?

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Take a step back, cloy. If health issues are getting in the way of the LSAT, imagine how they'll get in the way of actual law school. If you can, take some time away from studying and get healthy -- then you can evaluate your "is this for me?" question.

Reduce your stress level, friend, get healthy, then regroup and attack.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”