February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Tlucidum

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Tlucidum » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:38 pm

First LR of PrepTest 59 is unambiguously evil. Or is that an opinion that no one else shares?

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:49 pm

Tlucidum wrote:First LR of PrepTest 59 is unambiguously evil. Or is that an opinion that no one else shares?

It was full of trick questions I thought. I missed 4 and I felt stupid once I reviewed them. The 2nd LR was easy tho

logicspeaks

Postby logicspeaks » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:56 pm

Just timed a practice section of LG that I got -13 on in December and got -1 (which would have given me a 168). Sure wish I would have studied more for December, but I'm excited to further improve across the board for the next month and try to break 170.

ballsoharduniversity

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:31 pm

Tlucidum wrote:First LR of PrepTest 59 is unambiguously evil. Or is that an opinion that no one else shares?

Nope, felt the exact same way. It was miserable.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:06 am

Currently creating a concrete study schedule now that we're almost down to the one month mark — I'm doing 3 PTs per week for three weeks and then four the last week, but I can't figure out how to distribute them.

What do we think about studying the day(s) right before the test? Is it better to take a day off or keep it routine? I imagine it's different for everyone, but I'm finding it difficult to assess which will be best for me...

pech71

Postby pech71 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:56 am

xylocarp wrote:Currently creating a concrete study schedule now that we're almost down to the one month mark — I'm doing 3 PTs per week for three weeks and then four the last week, but I can't figure out how to distribute them.

What do we think about studying the day(s) right before the test? Is it better to take a day off or keep it routine? I imagine it's different for everyone, but I'm finding it difficult to assess which will be best for me...

Everyone is different. I would say that as long as you avoid tequila shots...you should be fine in whatever you decide to do.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:22 am

pech71 wrote:
xylocarp wrote:Currently creating a concrete study schedule now that we're almost down to the one month mark — I'm doing 3 PTs per week for three weeks and then four the last week, but I can't figure out how to distribute them.

Everyone is different. I would say that as long as you avoid tequila shots...you should be fine in whatever you decide to do.

:( Way to ruin my plan

pech71

Postby pech71 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:22 pm

Been really focusing on memory this week. Everything I read whether it be LSAT related or at the Office, I flip it over and try to summarize it. I find it helps me improve RC.

I have found the biggest downfall in RC is when I spend too much time on a single question. I got a -6 on the October LSAT without ever studying RC just by skipping questions that I started out by saying "WTF ARE YOU SAYING OR ASKING ME".

Practicing skipping questions is just as important as practicing getting the questions right since if you don't skip a question...spend 3 minutes on it..and get it wrong...O boy.

ndosberger

Postby ndosberger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:43 pm

I know this question might vary from person to person but what is the simplest way to solve a logic game (not hybrid)? Does anyone else deal with anxiety on these types of standardized tests? If so, what do you do to relax and solve the questions? I ask because I received a score 15 points lower than on any of my practice tests.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Also taking Feb.

Doing a PT everyday until the test. Day before the test, I'm going to set up games all day. Go see a movie at night to take my mind off things.

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:02 pm

pech71 wrote:Been really focusing on memory this week. Everything I read whether it be LSAT related or at the Office, I flip it over and try to summarize it. I find it helps me improve RC.

I have found the biggest downfall in RC is when I spend too much time on a single question. I got a -6 on the October LSAT without ever studying RC just by skipping questions that I started out by saying "WTF ARE YOU SAYING OR ASKING ME".

Practicing skipping questions is just as important as practicing getting the questions right since if you don't skip a question...spend 3 minutes on it..and get it wrong...O boy.

That seems like it would be a really helpful habit.

Also, how can you guys do a PT a day and avoid burnout? That's pretty intense. :shock:

pech71

Postby pech71 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:15 pm

cloy26 wrote:
pech71 wrote:Been really focusing on memory this week. Everything I read whether it be LSAT related or at the Office, I flip it over and try to summarize it. I find it helps me improve RC.

That seems like it would be a really helpful habit.

Also, how can you guys do a PT a day and avoid burnout? That's pretty intense. :shock:

When you don't think about the time and/or potential burnout and just realize it is what it is and you have to do it, your mind accomplishes what it needs to. You just have to do it and there is no way of sugarcoating that it may be difficult.

I am very jealous of anyone who is still in college (or on winter break) and studying for the test!! Try working 10-12 hours every day in a law firm and then going home and studying for 5-6 hours a night.

Make sure you take time away from studying by doing things that don't involve technology or thinking (i.e., bar, gym, anything outdoors)

Personally, I prefer the bar. But, to each is their own :)

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:25 pm

I gave up drinking until this test is over.

I put a picture of upenn as the background of my phone. It's where I want to go. It's motivation to not let the burn out get to me.

If I do feel burnt out ill play hockey or play a video game for an hour then go back at it

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:47 pm

I honestly feel like a monkey.

June 07'

LG: -1
LR1: -5
LR2: -4
RC: -9

It's like... ya, really haven't improved since my first diagnostic with RC. Not reading carefully as I go through my answer choices. Like shit, I want -2/-3 and I'm in that good ass territory. BAHHHHH

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:16 pm

Checking in all; MTWR was 55-58; My LR is locking in a bit better; I think the combination of applying the "15 in 15", along with test familiarity and focusing on the specific intent of the question stem has gotten me here (-0 to -3 per test).

In response to RC, I wanted to add something that I've tried which seems to have yielded excellent results. I feel like much of what we can do for RC is psychological; to that end -- and in response to a -6 I got on one of the early 50's on RC (which freaked me the hell out), I've been experimenting with forcing this thought into my mind before each RC passage: "pay attention -- you are not allowed to retread anything."

Obviously that's bullshit, but if you are the sort who can employ these sorts of mental mind tricks on yourself, give it a shot. Through internalizing it, I'm definitely paying more attention, retaining much more, and hitting -1 to -2 on RC (which I feel is as good as I'm going to get, considering the mind fuck that are some RC questions).

Sitting at a 175 average for the past 5 tests; 12 more to go before test day (4 weeks left; 3/3/2/4).

Keep going guys and girls. Home stretch.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:41 am

Got my first -0 on RC in a full timed PT today! Unfortunately, it was also the PT with the infamous "mauve dinosaurs" game. Not sure if knowing its reputation psyched me out and made me do worse or allowed me to mentally prepare and do better than I otherwise would have, but either way I got one of my worst LG scores ever.

PT 57, -5 LG, -3 LR1, -2 LR2 (not happy with those either), -0 RC. Raw score 91, 171 overall. I WILL NOT GET BACK IN MY 171 RUT. Nope. Not gonna happen.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:15 am

xylocarp wrote:Got my first -0 on RC in a full timed PT today! Unfortunately, it was also the PT with the infamous "mauve dinosaurs" game. Not sure if knowing its reputation psyched me out and made me do worse or allowed me to mentally prepare and do better than I otherwise would have, but either way I got one of my worst LG scores ever.

PT 57, -5 LG, -3 LR1, -2 LR2 (not happy with those either), -0 RC. Raw score 91, 171 overall. I WILL NOT GET BACK IN MY 171 RUT. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Congrats on -0 RC! I've hit -1 many times now but the -0 still eludes me!

Don't worry about 57 -- slight score dip, but I'm sure 58 will bump you back up :)

Also, incidentally, I think I'm the only dumb motherfucker who loves that dinosaur game. That said, the game right after it ate my lunch and I went -3 lol.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:42 am

zhenders wrote:
xylocarp wrote:Got my first -0 on RC in a full timed PT today! Unfortunately, it was also the PT with the infamous "mauve dinosaurs" game. Not sure if knowing its reputation psyched me out and made me do worse or allowed me to mentally prepare and do better than I otherwise would have, but either way I got one of my worst LG scores ever.

Congrats on -0 RC! I've hit -1 many times now but the -0 still eludes me!

Don't worry about 57 -- slight score dip, but I'm sure 58 will bump you back up :)

Also, incidentally, I think I'm the only dumb motherfucker who loves that dinosaur game. That said, the game right after it ate my lunch and I went -3 lol.

Just went over a few video explanation, and I think it just comes down to one or two key inferences - as it does for many games; for this one I think just fewer people were able to get it, myself included. I can see how you would like the game/generally feel good about yourself if you did get those inferences though :mrgreen:

My next few days will consist of primarily light LG drilling. The SO's family is coming to visit for a week, so I have to balance not being antisocial/a terrible host with not losing LSAT ground. I have three PTs on my schedule for Saturday - Friday, so I'll have to get those in sometime... Wish me luck, all!

pech71

Postby pech71 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:18 pm

I did about 20 logic game sets last night. The only ones that seem to trip me up are when no inferences can be made because of the multitude of possible combinations/rules.

So my question is, at what point do you write down your rules and know that it is time to move on to the question? I wasted easily 4-5 minutes forcing out inferences that didn't help me on questions. I still got the questions right in under 12 minutes but I would have potentially ran out of time if it were a real test.

Reference Practice test 32, section 3, game 3.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:47 pm

pech71 wrote:I did about 20 logic game sets last night. The only ones that seem to trip me up are when no inferences can be made because of the multitude of possible combinations/rules.

So my question is, at what point do you write down your rules and know that it is time to move on to the question? I wasted easily 4-5 minutes forcing out inferences that didn't help me on questions. I still got the questions right in under 12 minutes but I would have potentially ran out of time if it were a real test.

Reference Practice test 32, section 3, game 3.

TBH, I spend very little time thinking about inferences. My method is basically as I'm writing my rules one at a time, I ask myself it it relates at all to my other rules; I just keep moving. After all rules are down, I read over them to try to have them roughly in my head, and if no inferences come to me at that point, it's "off to the questions". Especially with the later tests, it doesn't seem as though there are as many inferences TO push out -- so I just keep moving.

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:57 pm

When is everyone PT'ing?

I work 9-5, so I prefer getting my test done in the morning which leaves review/drilling in the evening. I only ask because my first section, regardless of type, is normally worse than my average. I'll normally get up, make some coffee, brush my teeth, etc. then start testing at 6:00 a.m. - about 30 - 45 minutes after waking up. I work 3 minutes away, so the commute is not a factor.

Am I not giving myself enough time to wake up? I feel awake, but my scores seem to show the opposite - upward trend.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:13 pm

cloy26 wrote:When is everyone PT'ing?

I work 9-5, so I prefer getting my test done in the morning which leaves review/drilling in the evening. I only ask because my first section, regardless of type, is normally worse than my average. I'll normally get up, make some coffee, brush my teeth, etc. then start testing at 6:00 a.m. - about 30 - 45 minutes after waking up. I work 3 minutes away, so the commute is not a factor.

Am I not giving myself enough time to wake up? I feel awake, but my scores seem to show the opposite - upward trend.

This has me worried. So far I've PTed almost exclusively in the evening (just because of my work/class schedule)... I think I'm going to start 8 AM PTs on weekends, just to make sure this doesn't happen to me...

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:16 pm

I agree. I need to get on a early morning schedule also.

pech71

Postby pech71 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:33 pm

cloy26 wrote:When is everyone PT'ing?

I usually get to the office, close my door and do a couple logic games in the morning before I start working but I do all my studying at night when I get home from work around 7 or 8.

Unless you had an issue in college with morning classes (or with work in mornings), I wouldn't worry about studying in morning vs night.

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:17 pm

It's not so much morning as it is early morning... I consider myself a morning person and I'm fully awake by 8 am for sure, but a start time of 6? I guess I should just start getting up at 4:45 for a 6 start time... Get my lunch ready, etc.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”