February 2014 LSAT Study Group

RobertGolddust

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby RobertGolddust » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

For the most part, I'm skipping. However, I plan to take 66-71 successively, when test date approaches.
Last edited by RobertGolddust on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingJamesLBJ

Postby KingJamesLBJ » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:28 pm

we have until midnight to register without the late fee right?

W$RKliveWELL

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:51 pm

Yup until midnight. I just called trying to get the late fee waived if i registered late and they weren't having it lol

KingJamesLBJ

Postby KingJamesLBJ » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:29 pm

Applicants must take the LSAT no later than December 2013. The oldest score we will accept is from the June 2009 LSAT administration.

For prospective applicants who were unable to sit for the December 2013 LSAT due to LSAC's December test center cancelations, the deadline to apply to NYU School of Law has been extended to March 10, 2014 and you may submit your February 2014 test score for consideration.

That was from NYU. Will they accept the FEB score for everyone or just the people that could not take the DEc due to weather? I am debating if i should retake in feb as well

Posted this in another thread. Any of you have insight on this?

ballsoharduniversity

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:02 pm

Took pt58 a few days ago and broke 170. Took pt59 today and did almost 10 points worse. Fack.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Awesome PT today!! Beforehand I drilled three full sections of LG and got -0 in about 30 minutes for the last two, so I think that boosted my confidence (LG has been my biggest problem section).
PT 56 -- LG -1 (such a dumb mistake too, easily avoidable), LR1 -0, LR2 -3, RC -1. Raw score 95, scaled 176. Yay! Hoping with continued LG drilling I can keep my scores up.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:12 pm

Checking in. I will be tackling the Feb LSAT as well, with all of my apps already submitted. This will be my third and FINAL take... Thank God! :lol:

Good luck everyone!

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:25 pm

Awesome PT today!! Beforehand I drilled three full sections of LG and got -0 in about 30 minutes for the last two, so I think that boosted my confidence (LG has been my biggest problem section).
PT 56 -- LG -1 (such a dumb mistake too, easily avoidable), LR1 -0, LR2 -3, RC -1. Raw score 95, scaled 176. Yay! Hoping with continued LG drilling I can keep my scores up.

Impressive endurance and score.

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:34 pm

xylocarp wrote:Awesome PT today!! Beforehand I drilled three full sections of LG and got -0 in about 30 minutes for the last two, so I think that boosted my confidence (LG has been my biggest problem section).

Nice job!

Just did the bus stop problem. The biconditional really confused me because it was a lot of brute force throughout the questions and I lost time. But it's not bad looking back on it. Going to put it on my hit list.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:01 am

RobertGolddust wrote:

Well there was a 2-hour break between the drilling and the PT :oops: but thanks!

Speaking of endurance, anyone have any thoughts on how important it is to PT with an experimental? I haven't been doing it so far, but I was thinking of maybe doing two four-section PTs in a row maybe once a week (got that from the 160+ thread).

pech71

Postby pech71 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:29 am

xylocarp wrote:
RobertGolddust wrote:

Well there was a 2-hour break between the drilling and the PT :oops: but thanks!

Speaking of endurance, anyone have any thoughts on how important it is to PT with an experimental? I haven't been doing it so far, but I was thinking of maybe doing two four-section PTs in a row maybe once a week (got that from the 160+ thread).

If you really want to see how you hold up and don't want to waste practice tests, use the google patent search and read some patent Applications. The language should be foreign to you and be very hard to stay attentive (similar to RC). If your mind can handle reading the Applications for a couple hours a day for a week, then you should have no issue holding up endurance wise during the LSAT.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:37 am

You already know the answer, it's very important. I'm ashamed to admit that I've been doing only four section tests but I intend to stop soon.

If you really want to see how you hold up and don't want to waste practice tests, use the google patent search and read some patent Applications. The language should be foreign to you and be very hard to stay attentive (similar to RC). If your mind can handle reading the Applications for a couple hours a day for a week, then you should have no issue holding up endurance wise during the LSAT.

This is a pretty good idea, I think mixing up the type of material you read helps too. For instance, I like reading philosophy but I recently started reading more history, a little psychology, and physics.

pech71

Postby pech71 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:52 am

RobertGolddust wrote:

You already know the answer, it's very important. I'm ashamed to admit that I've been doing only four section tests but I intend to stop soon.

This is a pretty good idea, I think mixing up the type of material you read helps too. For instance, I like reading philosophy but I recently started reading more history, a little psychology, and physics.

yes except the key is....don't read something that you enjoy. Personally, I enjoy reading patent applications since it is my profession. Instead, I read the economist or LSAT questions since I am unimaginably uninterested in them and could care less and have to force myself to pay attention!!

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:43 am

PT55...

That third passage... anyone else find it difficult? The Chinese story telling or whatever. Admittedly I zoned out during that passage, but that destroyed my score.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:13 am

cloy26 wrote:PT55...

That third passage... anyone else find it difficult? The Chinese story telling or whatever. Admittedly I zoned out during that passage, but that destroyed my score.

The zoning out is sometimes a problem for me, but last PT I tried this thing where I sort of weirdly convince myself that I'm super interested in every RC topic (I think I read about someone doing that on here but can't remember who/which thread) and I think it helped. Obviously I'll need more sections to really get a feel for it, but it felt way better during the actual test and I got 2 more right than I ever have before on RC.

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:35 am

xylocarp wrote:

The zoning out is sometimes a problem for me, but last PT I tried this thing where I sort of weirdly convince myself that I'm super interested in every RC topic (I think I read about someone doing that on here but can't remember who/which thread) and I think it helped. Obviously I'll need more sections to really get a feel for it, but it felt way better during the actual test and I got 2 more right than I ever have before on RC.

That absolutely works. I remember doing that back on the SAT.

Also, do any of you experience false confidence when you finish a section? Meaning: I finished S1-LR1. I felt GREAT. I thought I went -1 or -2 at most. Went to S2 RC and the Chinese passage messed with me. By the time I got to S3, I was exhausted. I felt pretty bad about that.

Scored it and looked at the break down... Went -10 (-7 avg) on LR1 and -2 on LR2... uh... what?

pech71

Postby pech71 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:45 am

cloy26 wrote:
xylocarp wrote:

That absolutely works. I remember doing that back on the SAT.

Also, do any of you experience false confidence when you finish a section? Meaning: I finished S1-LR1. I felt GREAT. I thought I went -1 or -2 at most. Went to S2 RC and the Chinese passage messed with me. By the time I got to S3, I was exhausted. I felt pretty bad about that.

Scored it and looked at the break down... Went -10 (-7 avg) on LR1 and -2 on LR2... uh... what?

I honestly never feel confident after doing any of the LR/RC. I usually feel that I was able to give each question adequate time and consideration...but never truly confident. I've gone -3 and thought I got them all wrong then other times I thought it was soooo easy and went -10.

I have read that this gets better with more practice tests and really studying WHY you got answers wrong, not merely checking if you got them wrong.

I'm hoping this gets better for me. I feel like I am running out of time to study.

chaoticx5

Postby chaoticx5 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Do you guys know how the February LSAT scores work with applications (assuming your school will accept the Feb score)? Apply before the score is sent right after we take the LSAT February 8th? Or wait until right before the March 1st deadline to apply?

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:35 pm

chaoticx5 wrote:Do you guys know how the February LSAT scores work with applications (assuming your school will accept the Feb score)? Apply before the score is sent right after we take the LSAT February 8th? Or wait until right before the March 1st deadline to apply?

I have no idea about this (I'm applying next cycle - I'm sure others on this thread can weigh in), but I'm pretty sure I've seen a few topics about it. Try the search function? I would try searching "February" in topic titles only, but maybe you can come up with something better.

If you're looking at schools with a March 1st deadline, I don't see why it would make sense to wait until March 1st (assuming scores don't come out until after that date) instead of just submitting earlier. But again, I don't have any experience with this so I don't really know.

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:01 pm

chaoticx5 wrote:Do you guys know how the February LSAT scores work with applications (assuming your school will accept the Feb score)? Apply before the score is sent right after we take the LSAT February 8th? Or wait until right before the March 1st deadline to apply?

What difference would your scenario make? It's still in the post-test/pre-March window?

In my case, all my apps will be submitted before I walk into the testing center (two are already out), but I already have a score that can be used to render a decision from my saftey schools. If you can't apply without having sat, send it out asap and get it out of the way. just my .02.

pech71

Postby pech71 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:10 pm

When you apply, CAS does not send the report to the school until it is complete. Therefore, just apply now and when you receive LSAT score you can login to LSAC and submit your LSAT score in your pending applications.

I know that when I applied to a school the LOR was not sent in for a month after I submitted my Application. The school said the Application was sitting there as meeting the deadline, however, just as incomplete and awaiting last part of Application.

pech71

Postby pech71 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:14 pm

Question about a letter of Recommendation.

I am applying to a back up school and I believe one of my recommendation writers addressed the letter personally to the admission staff of my first choice school (I signed the waive my right to view the letter).

Would it look bad if I sent the letter addressed to my first choice school to my second choice school.

OR

Should I just ask for another letter of recommendation from the same person that is generic?

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:39 pm

ask. That would look terrible.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:39 pm

pech71 wrote:Question about a letter of Recommendation.

I am applying to a back up school and I believe one of my recommendation writers addressed the letter personally to the admission staff of my first choice school (I signed the waive my right to view the letter).

Would it look bad if I sent the letter addressed to my first choice school to my second choice school.

OR

Should I just ask for another letter of recommendation from the same person that is generic?

Definitely ask for a generic letter, unless you plan on only applying to two schools. which unless you have a 180/4.0 or have your sights set incredibly low, I would not recommend. A wide net catches many fish.

pech71

Postby pech71 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Nucky wrote:
pech71 wrote:Question about a letter of Recommendation.

OR

Definitely ask for a generic letter, unless you plan on only applying to two schools. which unless you have a 180/4.0 or have your sights set incredibly low, I would not recommend. A wide net catches many fish.

I am only applying to two schools. I will request a generic one. thanks.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”