February 2014 LSAT Study Group

pech71

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby pech71 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:45 pm

looks like they got a good curve on the december lsat.

pech71

Postby pech71 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:17 pm

partoftheworld123 wrote:Anyone got a tip for concentration issues? I always have trouble keeping myself 100% focused, even in the real test last month. I tried quietly whispering to myself as I read, but this got my screwed over in the real test after the guy next to me told me to shut the f**k up and we had a short argument during the test... So, any useful personal tips for those that can't focus for more than 30 seconds? Thanks.

I kind of have the same problem since I really don't care about the test beyond it being another standardized score that means nothing except to US news and hubris. When I took the October LSAT and I found myself forgetting what I read due to lack of focus.

SOOOOO I have found that I always draw pictures or lines under the words.

That is, even if the lines mean nothing in relation to the word, I always just make sure I am writing something, drawing something (the drawings are always related to the text), or underlining the text that brings my attention back to the problem. Try it on a practice test. If the lines are distracting or slow you down, then obviously don't use it anymore !! lol.

Moreover, I am using 7sage to study and have found that labeling parts as context, premises, and conclusion help me focus on the text and not lose focus since I am always on the look out for indicators.

inlovewithpiper

Postby inlovewithpiper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:21 pm

December re-raker checking in. I had originally planned on a June re-take (this is my 3rd take, btw) but after reviewing my IRR from December, I made a very fatal bubbling error (skipped two lines, resulting in a loss of two points for the blank questions, plus an additional 4 questions that were each off by a line). The result was a 165, which is still not bad by any general standard, but is unfortunate when my PTs were 171-176. The bubbling error alone cost me a great deal of points, thus reducing the amount of time I realistically need for improvement; I am going to register for February.

Let's do this! :mrgreen:

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:31 pm

inlovewithpiper wrote:December re-raker checking in. I had originally planned on a June re-take (this is my 3rd take, btw) but after reviewing my IRR from December, I made a very fatal bubbling error (skipped two lines, resulting in a loss of two points for the blank questions, plus an additional 4 questions that were each off by a line). The result was a 165, which is still not bad by any general standard, but is unfortunate when my PTs were 171-176. The bubbling error alone cost me a great deal of points, thus reducing the amount of time I realistically need for improvement; I am going to register for February.

Sucks about the misbubble, but it sounds like you're in a good place for February. Are you applying this cycle or next?

Also, welcome to everybody else!

inlovewithpiper

Postby inlovewithpiper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 pm

xylocarp wrote:
inlovewithpiper wrote:December re-raker checking in. I had originally planned on a June re-take (this is my 3rd take, btw) but after reviewing my IRR from December, I made a very fatal bubbling error (skipped two lines, resulting in a loss of two points for the blank questions, plus an additional 4 questions that were each off by a line). The result was a 165, which is still not bad by any general standard, but is unfortunate when my PTs were 171-176. The bubbling error alone cost me a great deal of points, thus reducing the amount of time I realistically need for improvement; I am going to register for February.

Sucks about the misbubble, but it sounds like you're in a good place for February. Are you applying this cycle or next?

Also, welcome to everybody else!

Yep I am. In fact, I already had some apps in before Dec score release (assuming my score would be near my PT average, not 8 points lower). I am going to contact the schools and let them know, as well as contacting schools that are allowing Feb scores due to weather-cancellations. Columbia specifically is allowing Feb scores for certain delayed-takers and first-time takers, but I will be requesting that they hold my app until February scores are released (and hoping that they do so).

Thoughts about the LSAT Trainer for my situation? I am not sure if I should waste time with it (I will, of course, if it could be of use) or just go back to drilling and timed-PTing.

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:59 pm

PT54

Raw: 84
Scaled: 164

LR1: -6
LR2: -3
RC: -8 (Passage breakdown: -0/-1/-3/-4)
LG: -0

RC kicked my ass. Cakewalk passage (which wasn't a cakewalk) ate up my time so I had less time to focus on the group think passage. Going to redo those and see where it went wrong. Didn't feel super confident in those last two.

LR is doing ok, just gotta get both down even further. -6 is horrible, but I know I can do better.

Experimental LR placed in section 2 (PT42 Section 4): -6

LR is hovering around -8, -9. When I get my RC down, I'll be up.

5 weeks; I know I'm going to break 170.

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:37 pm

currently on my break for pt53...

thoughts:
am i the only one who absolutely hates the questioned/confession game? It blew me up. it seemed like two of the rules were completely incompatible.

oh well, back to hell. :(

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:51 pm

PT 57, scored a 158 ( :oops: ).

Break down:

LR 1: -9
RC: -6
LG -9
LR 2: -5

This test is sort of an outlier given that my two most recent PTs were 161. Still, screwed up one LG, and I couldn't find my grove on the first LR.

I'm chalking this up to the haze lingering from new years.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:24 pm

I just took that PT this morning; I actually struggled with game 4 pretty badly :-/ go figure, we all have our weaknesses!

inlovewithpiper

Postby inlovewithpiper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:37 pm

zhenders wrote:I just took that PT this morning; I actually struggled with game 4 pretty badly :-/ go figure, we all have our weaknesses!

When I read this, I thought PT 57 sounded oddly familiar (in a bad way).

I grabbed my PrepTest books and looked it up... MAUVE. FU**ING. DINOSAURS.

That is the most infamous game in all of LSAT history (if not the most, certainly in the top 3). So don't feel bad.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:42 am

Haha thanks, I shall attempt to regain my honor on the next one.

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:04 am

cloy26 wrote:currently on my break for pt53...

thoughts:
am i the only one who absolutely hates the questioned/confession game? It blew me up. it seemed like two of the rules were completely incompatible.

I don't remember the exact rules but you should be able to make scenarios given the confessions. Simple tiered ordering game usually break down easily.

Going to bust out some super prep rc for tomorrow morning and drill some games.

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:30 pm

unodostres wrote:
cloy26 wrote:currently on my break for pt53...

thoughts:

I don't remember the exact rules but you should be able to make scenarios given the confessions. Simple tiered ordering game usually break down easily.

That damn w-s rule; didn't really think through it... Once I looked back at it... feelsbadman.jpg

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Really pumped to start some RC drilling. Learning to love this shit makes life easier.

pech71

Postby pech71 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:19 pm

unodostres wrote:Really pumped to start some RC drilling. Learning to love this shit makes life easier.

I wish I could bottle it up and drink it as my morning coffee EVERY DAY...and then bottle it up again and drink it for my afternoon coffee.............. :| :| :| :|

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:24 pm

unodostres wrote:Really pumped to start some RC drilling. Learning to love this shit makes life easier.

What are you exact plans? I'm drilling RC as well.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Took Oct, wanted to retake Dec but didn't. Now thinking about February but I'm definitely probably rusty.

When is the registration deadline??

carmensandiego

Postby carmensandiego » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:45 pm

jk148706 wrote:Took Oct, wanted to retake Dec but didn't. Now thinking about February but I'm definitely probably rusty.

Think it already passed. If I'm not mistaken I think it was yesterday? Go check LSAC for certain...

inlovewithpiper

Postby inlovewithpiper » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:46 pm

carmensandiego wrote:
jk148706 wrote:Took Oct, wanted to retake Dec but didn't. Now thinking about February but I'm definitely probably rusty.

Think it already passed. If I'm not mistaken I think it was yesterday? Go check LSAC for certain...

No, actually you have until the 7th for regular registration and the 14th for late registration.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:47 pm

inlovewithpiper wrote:
carmensandiego wrote:

No, actually you have until the 7th for regular registration and the 14th for late registration.

What does late registration mean? More$ I'm guessing

inlovewithpiper

Postby inlovewithpiper » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:48 pm

jk148706 wrote:
inlovewithpiper wrote:
carmensandiego wrote:

What does late registration mean? More$ I'm guessing

Right. It just means an extra $70 on top of the regular registration fee.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:50 pm

Gonna take a fresh PT to see where I am then maybe register and join ya'll

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Miracle wrote:

Going to drill 2 full sections. Not timed.

Speaking of RC, I'm barely marking up my passage. How do you guys mark yours up? Anything in particular besides authors attitude/opposing views/traditional views/questions etc?

inlovewithpiper

Postby inlovewithpiper » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:16 pm

unodostres wrote:
Miracle wrote:

Going to drill 2 full sections. Not timed.

Speaking of RC, I'm barely marking up my passage. How do you guys mark yours up? Anything in particular besides authors attitude/opposing views/traditional views/questions etc?

One thing I always mark that might be different from others is any time a dichotomy is set up within the passage vis-a-vis information and scope. For example:

"Renaissance artists typically painted with a strong focus on styles from Classical Antiquity. But, not always."

I would notate this part because the author clearly has a reason for wanting me to know that there are cases in which the rule doesn't apply. I have fallen victim to too many scope-questions that go on to ask something like "Which view does the passage most endorse?" and end up choosing something like "Renaissance Artists consistently maintained a Classical style in their art."

I find that having the spot where scope is marked keeps me from choosing out-of-scope answers. Same for LR, but I don't normally notate those because they're small and it's generally easy to find scope issues.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:20 pm

Does anyone know a site where I could purchase PT 71?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”