February 2014 LSAT Study Group

User avatar
RobertGolddust
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby RobertGolddust » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:47 am

Don't hope. Make it different.


I like your style. to paraphrase Marx, Hope is a powerful force created by the bourgeoisie to keep the middle class energetic and industrious. But I prefer the words of the Jedi Master: "do or do not there is no try."

User avatar
Mauve.Dino
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:55 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Mauve.Dino » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Wow, everyone--thanks for the feedback; I wasn't expecting it! :o

Yes, LG prep has been a truly arduous journey (Bee, I must be like you!). I usually do 6 - 8 games a day (untimed), and I still can't make the inferences when I need to. Often a game will hinge on one inference that I'll spend three minutes trying to discover. I have very few problems setting up diagrams for each question type, and I'll make basic inferences, but for some of these games, it's almost as if you have to make inferences three levels deep, if that makes any sense. Often I won't know I'm in trouble until I get to the third or fourth question.

I think I really have a difficult time knowing when to frame. I always hesitate, thinking it would be overdoing things to create several frames, but five minutes into a game, I'll finally realize that it would be to my benefit.

Really, I've made some improvments. When I first started, it took me 15 - 20 minutes to finish a game. This is my IMPROVED situation--ha, ha!

User avatar
cloy26
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby cloy26 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:01 pm

FWIW, the newer games aren't so much inference driven as they are brute plug and chug. Regardless, knowing the games inside and out (old or new) will still benefit you on test day.

Just keep hammering away and it becomes so much easier, almost natural.

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:16 pm

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 062914123 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:22 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cloy26
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby cloy26 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:24 pm

bee wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:
cloy26 wrote:FWIW, the newer games aren't so much inference driven as they are brute plug and chug. Regardless, knowing the games inside and out (old or new) will still benefit you on test day.

Just keep hammering away and it becomes so much easier, almost natural.


is this the same for LR?

if you mean "should i drill lr until i literally cant take it anymore" then the answer is yes, you should if you're struggling with lr


I'm glad you can answer, I'm awful w/ LR. :D

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:27 pm

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cloy26
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby cloy26 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:31 pm

I don't go to sleep until I've drilled enough LR that my face looks like my avatar. I keep in there for a reminder. :|

Nicolena.
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Nicolena. » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:00 am

Stimulus:
Most A's are B's.
Most A's are C's.


Answers could be:
Some B's are C's.
Some C's are B's.


Is this correct? I wasn't sure if I could reverse those.

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:29 am

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RobertGolddust
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby RobertGolddust » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:50 am

Just banged out my last final. Ready to jump back into the LSAT world. Heavy inebriation beginning now, LSAT prep commencing in 48 hours.

P.S. My last final was in symbolic logic. The three proofs we had to do were harder than snakes and lizards, zephyr Airlines, bike shop, new and used CD's, and dinosaurs combined. Well, not really, but they were pretty tough.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:27 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:Just banged out my last final. Ready to jump back into the LSAT world. Heavy inebriation beginning now, LSAT prep commencing in 48 hours.

P.S. My last final was in symbolic logic. The three proofs we had to do were harder than snakes and lizards, zephyr Airlines, bike shop, new and used CD's, and dinosaurs combined. Well, not really, but they were pretty tough.


As someone (else) who has taken symbolic logic, I disagree :-)

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:34 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:T-minus one week till I return to LSAT world. I have a two finals today and one on Saturday, then I shall become inebriated and hopefully engage in coydus, wake up Sunday morning at 5 a.m. for a flight back to phoenix, take a couple of days off from the books, and then the hunger games begin.

I need a 162 and my diagnosis was a 154. Been studying a ridiculous amount of time with no real success. Hoping, February will be different.


my diagnostic was around 150....my last PT was 165 and I've only taken like 6 PTs (woulda been 168 if I didn't miss EVERY RC question on one passage).

This is more than possible for you

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
RobertGolddust wrote:Just banged out my last final. Ready to jump back into the LSAT world. Heavy inebriation beginning now, LSAT prep commencing in 48 hours.

P.S. My last final was in symbolic logic. The three proofs we had to do were harder than snakes and lizards, zephyr Airlines, bike shop, new and used CD's, and dinosaurs combined. Well, not really, but they were pretty tough.


As someone (else) who has taken symbolic logic, I disagree :-)


Really. I had my logic final today too and it was jokes

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:50 pm

90convoy wrote:
RobertGolddust wrote:T-minus one week till I return to LSAT world. I have a two finals today and one on Saturday, then I shall become inebriated and hopefully engage in coydus, wake up Sunday morning at 5 a.m. for a flight back to phoenix, take a couple of days off from the books, and then the hunger games begin.

I need a 162 and my diagnosis was a 154. Been studying a ridiculous amount of time with no real success. Hoping, February will be different.


my diagnostic was around 150....my last PT was 165 and I've only taken like 6 PTs (woulda been 168 if I didn't miss EVERY RC question on one passage).

This is more than possible for you

Yes, you can definitely make it with that diagnostic! I actually got exactly that on my diagnostic and now I'm consistently PTing in the 170s. If you haven't been making progress, it's probably just a matter of the methods you're using. You got this!

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:02 pm

90convoy wrote:
Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
RobertGolddust wrote:Just banged out my last final. Ready to jump back into the LSAT world. Heavy inebriation beginning now, LSAT prep commencing in 48 hours.

P.S. My last final was in symbolic logic. The three proofs we had to do were harder than snakes and lizards, zephyr Airlines, bike shop, new and used CD's, and dinosaurs combined. Well, not really, but they were pretty tough.


As someone (else) who has taken symbolic logic, I disagree :-)


Really. I had my logic final today too and it was jokes


In UG I took a mix of deductive, symbolic, modal, bimodal, and logic programming classes within our math / comp sci / philosophy track. Most of the students were upper-level math majors and I suspect the professors (who were largely from the philosophy department) were aware.

User avatar
Mauve.Dino
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:55 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Mauve.Dino » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:59 pm

Did PT 66 today, and have an extraordinary headache. Almost every single question I missed I thought I had answered correctly (and subsequently didn't mark for blind review), which means that I'm in more trouble than I thought. I'm making mistakes when I feel confident that I'm not--ouch. Gonna take a short break and then review 7sage explanations.

The good news is that (after blind review) I hit 168, which is my highest, yet. The bad news is that I still can't finish LG in 35 minutes.

RC -2 (obviously an outlier; I'm never this good at RC)
LR1 -4
LG -4
LR2 -3

Total -13/168

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Any psychology majors here? I've realized that when I split an LR section into halves (12 / 13 or 13 / 12) and take a two minute break there's not only a significant improvement in score but also much more time to spare after Q 25. As of right now, my mind needs that mental break to re-focus.

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:25 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:Any psychology majors here? I've realized that when I split an LR section into halves (12 / 13 or 13 / 12) and take a two minute break there's not only a significant improvement in score but also much more time to spare after Q 25. As of right now, my mind needs that mental break to re-focus.


I think of the LR like two small sections. The first 15 I try to get done in 10-12 minutes then for the last 10 questions I have 25minutes. Having 25 minutes for the last 10 questions is GREAT and that alone brought my average down to like -6 from -10

User avatar
Mauve.Dino
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:55 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Mauve.Dino » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:53 am

90convoy wrote:
Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:Any psychology majors here? I've realized that when I split an LR section into halves (12 / 13 or 13 / 12) and take a two minute break there's not only a significant improvement in score but also much more time to spare after Q 25. As of right now, my mind needs that mental break to re-focus.


I think of the LR like two small sections. The first 15 I try to get done in 10-12 minutes then for the last 10 questions I have 25minutes. Having 25 minutes for the last 10 questions is GREAT and that alone brought my average down to like -6 from -10


Hey, do you usually work from beginning to end in order, or do you do the first fifteen and then work backwards from 25/26? I only ask because the last few questions are such time drains (*shakes fist at parallel flaw questions*). I'm right at the 35 minute mark for LR, and I'm worried that during the actual test, I'm gonna go over time.

User avatar
RobertGolddust
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby RobertGolddust » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Just banged out my last final. Ready to jump back into the LSAT world. Heavy inebriation beginning now, LSAT prep commencing in 48 hours.

P.S. My last final was in symbolic logic. The three proofs we had to do were harder than snakes and lizards, zephyr Airlines, bike shop, new and used CD's, and dinosaurs combined. Well, not really, but they were pretty tough.


As someone (else) who has taken symbolic logic, I disagree :-)



My logic final was test number six of finals week and the teacher showed no leniency. It wasn't actually harder than some of the tougher games which I did mention above. Still though, hard logic final.

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby dasani13 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:48 pm

dasani13 wrote:Checking in! Was averaging in the low 160s before December so I withdrew the night before. I'm shooting for a high 160 (Cornell is my top choice) or bust so I felt like it was the best decision to make. I'm starting my February prep today-- if anyone is in a similar boat and wants to join me in studying/PTing together, feel free to PM me or just reply here. :)



Hello! Following up on my post from last week: I decided to follow the 12-week + 7 exams schedule from the Trainer (--LinkRemoved--). I'll be doing it in 6 weeks instead and adding PTs 69-71. In all, I'll be doing all of the Trainer plus PTs 52-71 (all retakes, except 66, 70, and 71). My work schedule is pretty flexible so I'll be able to have a total of about 30-35hrs of study per week. If anyone would like to join, shoot me a PM or just reply here. I'd really like to have someone with whom to study and to keep track of each other's work. I'm averaging in the low 160s and my weakness is RC, by far (possibly because English is not my first language). My goal is 167+.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:47 pm

dasani13 wrote:
dasani13 wrote:Checking in! Was averaging in the low 160s before December so I withdrew the night before. I'm shooting for a high 160 (Cornell is my top choice) or bust so I felt like it was the best decision to make. I'm starting my February prep today-- if anyone is in a similar boat and wants to join me in studying/PTing together, feel free to PM me or just reply here. :)



Hello! Following up on my post from last week: I decided to follow the 12-week + 7 exams schedule from the Trainer (--LinkRemoved--). I'll be doing it in 6 weeks instead and adding PTs 69-71. In all, I'll be doing all of the Trainer plus PTs 52-71 (all retakes, except 66, 70, and 71). My work schedule is pretty flexible so I'll be able to have a total of about 30-35hrs of study per week. If anyone would like to join, shoot me a PM or just reply here. I'd really like to have someone with whom to study and to keep track of each other's work. I'm averaging in the low 160s and my weakness is RC, by far (possibly because English is not my first language). My goal is 167+.


We're in the same spot but my Trainer won't come until Thursday! Not sure I can devote 30-35 hours per week to studying though; more like 20-25 (with most of that on the weekends).

Have you looked through the trainer yet? ...How do you like it?

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby dasani13 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:07 am

Yup, I started it today. I didn't read too much of it (only the first 2 lessons) but I really like it so far. After trying almost all of the top materials available, this seems like a fresh, new perspective. I'm really looking forward to it!

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Miracle » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Im joining in for the February. Did anyone started drilling the Cambridge packets yet?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hikikomorist and 10 guests