February 2014 LSAT Study Group

User avatar
PourMeTea
Posts: 6508
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:06 am

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:10 am

I do them in my head at this point, unless I'm stuck on a difficult parallel reasoning q


Ok thanks. Hopefully with enough practice it'll click. (this is my 2nd day training formal logic and it's a bitch.)

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Clearly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:09 am

90convoy wrote:
I do them in my head at this point, unless I'm stuck on a difficult parallel reasoning q


Ok thanks. Hopefully with enough practice it'll click. (this is my 2nd day training formal logic and it's a bitch.)

Did you just express frustration with not mastering formal logic on day two?

User avatar
Motivator9
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Motivator9 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Clearly wrote:
90convoy wrote:
I do them in my head at this point, unless I'm stuck on a difficult parallel reasoning q


Ok thanks. Hopefully with enough practice it'll click. (this is my 2nd day training formal logic and it's a bitch.)

Did you just express frustration with not mastering formal logic on day two?


Formal logic is actually one of my favorite aspects of the LSAT. It's just a matter of familiarity

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Motivator9 wrote:
Clearly wrote:
90convoy wrote:
I do them in my head at this point, unless I'm stuck on a difficult parallel reasoning q


Ok thanks. Hopefully with enough practice it'll click. (this is my 2nd day training formal logic and it's a bitch.)

Did you just express frustration with not mastering formal logic on day two?


Formal logic is actually one of my favorite aspects of the LSAT. It's just a matter of familiarity


Well today I'm going to re-read that chapter in the LR book, and then drill L3 and L4 SA questions. Hopefully I can gain some of this familiarity.

ballsoharduniversity
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:18 pm

Checking in! Graduating early and studying abroad this semester (leaving in less than a week!) so I've decided to wait it out and apply for next cycle instead.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby paglababa » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:13 pm

ballsoharduniversity wrote:Checking in! Graduating early and studying abroad this semester (leaving in less than a week!) so I've decided to wait it out and apply for next cycle instead.


Nice, where are you going? And you plan on studying for the LSAT abroad? I know when I was studying abroad, all i wanted to do out there was 'ball so hard.'

ballsoharduniversity
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:00 pm

paglababa wrote:
ballsoharduniversity wrote:Checking in! Graduating early and studying abroad this semester (leaving in less than a week!) so I've decided to wait it out and apply for next cycle instead.


Nice, where are you going? And you plan on studying for the LSAT abroad? I know when I was studying abroad, all i wanted to do out there was 'ball so hard.'


Haha, I'll be in Sydney! I only have class on two days/only need one class to graduate so I'll be able to set aside plenty of time for PTs and studying.

d0rklord
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby d0rklord » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Ok today I map out my study schedule onto a nice fat calendar... and I start reading the Manhattan RC book tomorrow (shudder)...

How I hate THEEEEE reading comp!!!

I also bought http://www.amazon.com/500-Essential-Wor ... 1935707892 AND the "Advanced" flash card set... Since my vocabulary isn't that extensive... :X

LET'S START THIS BAD BOYYYYY

UNoHooIM7
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:40 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby UNoHooIM7 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Checking in!

Just put "DD's Thoughts on the LSAT" into a Word doc and I'm ready!

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:01 am

Just finished Manhattan lr (finally). Feelin pretty good right now. I must say I actually enjoyed it though

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Checking in! I'm currently going through LGB, after that I think I'm going to drill, then move onto LRB, then drill that (the entire time frequently reading "dense articles" for RC practice), then take a PT and see where I am. There's no specific timeline because oftentimes my brain will be too fried from school to be effective, while other times I'll feel like I'm on a roll and study for hours, so I don't want to restrict myself just yet. Shooting for 180 (who needs realistic goals anyway?), applying next cycle.

Am I the only one who carries a prep book everywhere I go, just in case?

User avatar
Motivator9
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Motivator9 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:01 pm

I have a question about one of the questions in the Manhattan LR books if someone wants to chime in. PT 33, S 1, Q 13. I'm having a hard time seeing why A is incorrect. B is the better answer, but why not A. The negation test didn't help me here. One thought is that A is basically countering the truth of a premise that was already given in the stimulus: the fact that doctors say that they do give placebos because it makes patients recover faster, which means that the psychological consideration is accounted for. Thoughts?

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Motivator9 wrote:I have a question about one of the questions in the Manhattan LR books if someone wants to chime in. PT 33, S 1, Q 13. I'm having a hard time seeing why A is incorrect. B is the better answer, but why not A. The negation test didn't help me here. One thought is that A is basically countering the truth of a premise that was already given in the stimulus: the fact that doctors say that they do give placebos because it makes patients recover faster, which means that the psychological consideration is accounted for. Thoughts?



If you look at the argument core you can see that the gap doesn't have anything to do with a patients psychological satisfaction. It is just saying that placebos are ethically questionable because of the reason it's administered. Core is something like: placebos are given to make people feel better therefore administering placebos is ethically questionable. Does giving something to someone on the basis of making them feel better make that act ethically questionable? That's the gap and B addresses that. This is a hard question and I remember doing it a couple weeks ago, but if you stick to finding the assumption of the gap then it isn't so bad. It's important to remember that assumption questions, especially NA, are VERY strict about the gap.

User avatar
Motivator9
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Motivator9 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:25 pm

90convoy wrote:
Motivator9 wrote:I have a question about one of the questions in the Manhattan LR books if someone wants to chime in. PT 33, S 1, Q 13. I'm having a hard time seeing why A is incorrect. B is the better answer, but why not A. The negation test didn't help me here. One thought is that A is basically countering the truth of a premise that was already given in the stimulus: the fact that doctors say that they do give placebos because it makes patients recover faster, which means that the psychological consideration is accounted for. Thoughts?



If you look at the argument core you can see that the gap doesn't have anything to do with a patients psychological satisfaction. It is just saying that placebos are ethically questionable because of the reason it's administered. Core is something like: placebos are given to make people feel better therefore administering placebos is ethically questionable. Does giving something to someone on the basis of making them feel better make that act ethically questionable? That's the gap and B addresses that. This is a hard question and I remember doing it a couple weeks ago, but if you stick to finding the assumption of the gap then it isn't so bad. It's important to remember that assumption questions, especially NA, are VERY strict about the gap.



Gotcha! Thank you kind sir

User avatar
Motivator9
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Motivator9 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:41 am

Began drilling my Cambridge packets today, starting with N assumptions. I can already tell this is going to be the difference maker between how I used to be studying. If you haven't got the packets yet, TLS wisdom is that it's a must.

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Question

So the MLSAT LG book says it has all the "solutions to every game from lsats 40-66". I plan on PTing like 45-70 eventually. Would already having done the games from the tests that I plan on PTing have detrimental consequences to my prep, or does it not matter? Thanks

User avatar
Motivator9
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Motivator9 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:58 pm

90convoy wrote:Question

So the MLSAT LG book says it has all the "solutions to every game from lsats 40-66". I plan on PTing like 45-70 eventually. Would already having done the games from the tests that I plan on PTing have detrimental consequences to my prep, or does it not matter? Thanks


I think it certainly matters because you want to stimulate test day conditions as much as possible. Also, regarding solutions, why not use 7sage videos.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby paglababa » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Motivator9 wrote:Began drilling my Cambridge packets today, starting with N assumptions. I can already tell this is going to be the difference maker between how I used to be studying. If you haven't got the packets yet, TLS wisdom is that it's a must.


+1. The best $ I've spent on all of LSAT prep.

User avatar
Motivator9
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Motivator9 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:23 am

I've been drilling all the level one N assumptions these past couple of days. Only missed two due to silly errors. But I've decided to write out explanations for all of the questions. How are you guys reviewing after drilling ?

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Motivator9 wrote:I've been drilling all the level one N assumptions these past couple of days. Only missed two due to silly errors. But I've decided to write out explanations for all of the questions. How are you guys reviewing after drilling ?


For my reviews I am only going over the ones that I guessed on or got wrong. I pretty much just try to solve it again without looking at the answer, and if I cant then I look up the answer and figure out why I missed it. Usually it's because I didn't fully understand the passage. However, I am not seriously drilling now because I am trying to go through all of the books; after I do a chapter I do about 20-50 additional questions from the cambridge packs to kinda solidify what I learned. When I finish all the LR and LG books then Ill start getting serious about drilling along with PTs.

eddnyc
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:33 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby eddnyc » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:30 am

checking in... 2014 Feb Hong Kong

ballsoharduniversity
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:31 pm

Anybody got any good tips on how to get timing down? I just took PT 44 yesterday and was seriously struggling with my timing, but when I took PT 43 the week before, I had a little time left on a couple of the sections and actually hit 170 for the first time (!!!). I'm terrified of my scores fluctuating with each test because of timing... I don't really struggle with the easier questions, but when I come across harder ones, I spend too much time sitting there trying to figure it out and it screws up my timing.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:40 pm

Just found out that the Feb. LSAT is "undisclosed," meaning we won't be able to see which questions we got wrong or anything. Is this common knowledge and I just missed it? Talk about a downside if you're applying the next cycle and might need a retake.

User avatar
Motivator9
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Motivator9 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:29 pm

xylocarp wrote:Just found out that the Feb. LSAT is "undisclosed," meaning we won't be able to see which questions we got wrong or anything. Is this common knowledge and I just missed it? Talk about a downside if you're applying the next cycle and might need a retake.


This is common knowledge, but don't worry because you're not going to have to retake it.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, Greenteachurro, Instrumental and 9 guests