February 2014 LSAT Study Group

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:55 pm

random number wrote:
xylocarp wrote:We have weirdly similar PTs haha. I also got a 175 on 70 with a similar breakdown. As of 71 (last PT before Saturday), my 5 PT average is 175.4, 10 PT average is 174.6, overall median and mode scores are both 175. I'll be interested to see how 71 goes for you!

Also, congratulations obviously! Let's both get 175s on test day haha.


Thanks! I plan to take 71 tomorrow, so I'll be sure to post it. Are you done PTing before the test?

Yep! Feels good!

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby random number » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:05 pm

pech71 wrote:Decided to attend Catholic since they offered a sizable scholarship. I am already employed as a patent agent at a top IP law firm so even if I went to GW/Harvard it wouldn't matter for me in terms of employment. I just want the most inexpensive option to limit my out of pocket expenses (which is why Mason was attractive option for in state tuition but CUA is much cheaper with scholarship).


Congrats! Sounds like you are making the right decision, and best of luck in law school!

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby random number » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:11 pm

xylocarp wrote:
alecks wrote:Curious for those of you scoring 170+ how long have you been studying and what was your diagnostic?

My studying story is a little weird and, from what I've gathered, entirely atypical. I took a cold timed diagnostic last April and scored a 154. Then I went to a local bookstore and bought some Princeton Review book or something because I didn't know any better. I got through about two chapters of that over maybe three months before I trashed it. Then I got the PowerScore Logic Games Bible and worked through that over about four months. In November, I took another diagnostic to see where I was and scored a 175. I do not know how to explain this discrepancy. Since then, I've taken a ten PTs and drilled a lot of LG; I've just been trying to get consistent basically. So pretty much, I don't really understand what happened with my studying nor do I know yet how it will turn out on test day. Maybe I'll get a 154, because that would be about as understandable to me as that second diagnostic, haha :mrgreen:


It sounds like the 175 was far more indicative of your abilities, and that the 154 was probably a product of having little idea of what to expect (e.g. how to pace yourself, the fact that many LR answers 'could' be right, that LGs can be diagrammed, etc). Now that you know these basic things, I can't imagine reverting to your very first diagnostic.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:23 pm

random number wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
alecks wrote:Curious for those of you scoring 170+ how long have you been studying and what was your diagnostic?

My studying story is a little weird and, from what I've gathered, entirely atypical. I took a cold timed diagnostic last April and scored a 154. Then I went to a local bookstore and bought some Princeton Review book or something because I didn't know any better. I got through about two chapters of that over maybe three months before I trashed it. Then I got the PowerScore Logic Games Bible and worked through that over about four months. In November, I took another diagnostic to see where I was and scored a 175. I do not know how to explain this discrepancy. Since then, I've taken a ten PTs and drilled a lot of LG; I've just been trying to get consistent basically. So pretty much, I don't really understand what happened with my studying nor do I know yet how it will turn out on test day. Maybe I'll get a 154, because that would be about as understandable to me as that second diagnostic, haha :mrgreen:


It sounds like the 175 was far more indicative of your abilities, and that the 154 was probably a product of having little idea of what to expect (e.g. how to pace yourself, the fact that many LR answers 'could' be right, that LGs can be diagrammed, etc). Now that you know these basic things, I can't imagine reverting to your very first diagnostic.

I sincerely, sincerely hope not. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby zhenders » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:30 pm

random number wrote:Just took 70 with the built-in experimental section. I will mix up the section order again.

RC: -1 (I'm happy with this)
LG: -2 (argh, I made one silly mistake and rushed through a rule replacement question)
LR1: -2 (pretty happy, although I take issue with section 1, question 17)
Exp: -0 (Why does this keep happening????)
LR2: -1 (Pretty happy with this)

Scaled Score of 175. This gives me a 5 test average of 175.2 with a median of 175. I think that I am finally feeling comfortable, although my propensity for messing up logic games (I nearly had a major meltdown on the second one and ended up skipping it) still makes me nervous.

Also, I had two major bubbling errors, so I need to be sure to give myself adequate time to review my answers.


Awesome! Great work; I will be so happy tomorrow if I match you at 175 for 71! And your consistency -- take that 175 home this Saturday and go to whatever school you want, friend.

You too, mirror -- 173 is seriously awesome; I'd take it for sure too!

Pech, word; enjoy the crawl! Super happy for you that your future is lined up in such a great way; enjoy it! And thanks for the encouragement :)


On break right now between a double test (68/69); one test, 20 min. Break, next test. As soon as I sat down, I knew it would be bad -- I'm just too mentally fucked up from the trip still (I've drank nothing but my head is still literally spinning, as though I drank a handle of tequila last night). Pushing through, because who knows what test day will be like? Tomorrow is another double and hopefully I'll feel MUCH more fresh; resting on Friday.

I'll check in after part 2 and report; everyone's kicking so much ass. I'm loving it.

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby zhenders » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:47 pm

alecks wrote:Curious for those of you scoring 170+ how long have you been studying and what was your diagnostic?



Last post before back-to-testing:

I'm a bit non-trad too. 3 or 4 years ago I needed work, and found an ad for a Kaplan teacher. I went in, and they gave me a PT to take home and take to see if I was qualified (this is was probably so unethical of them). I took it at home untimed and got a 172. I went through the training for 2 weeks, taught a bit, but hated the system and quit. Didn't look at the test again until this past November.

Took a timed diagnostic in nov. (not employing any Kaplan methods -- I didn't remember them anyhow), and hit 165. I began studying mid to late December, and I have taken right around 30 PTs since then.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:09 pm

here are some words on the upcoming LSAT -- I hope they help because if you are here they apply to you I promise.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/februa ... -the-test/

User avatar
withoutapaddle
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby withoutapaddle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Taking PT 71 tomorrow as well

Hoping for a 170+

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:35 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:here are some words on the upcoming LSAT -- I hope they help because if you are here they apply to you I promise.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/februa ... -the-test/


Replace "Nuclear Combat" with "LSAT" this pretty much sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ynY5NvYsZY

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Miracle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:49 pm

PT 58

LR1 -1 (Flaw question)
LG -2
RC -2
LR2 -3 (Flaw questions)

93=172!

These flaw questions. I just want to cry

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby random number » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:50 pm

Miracle wrote:PT 58

LR1 -1 (Flaw question)
LG -2
RC -2
LR2 -3 (Flaw questions)

93=172!

These flaw questions. I just want to cry


Nice job! Good consistency across the sections!

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Miracle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:51 pm

random number wrote:
Miracle wrote:PT 58

LR1 -1 (Flaw question)
LG -2
RC -2
LR2 -3 (Flaw questions)

93=172!

These flaw questions. I just want to cry


Nice job! Good consistency across the sections!


I don't get these flaw questions. I have no idea what to do about them. I don't discriminate either. Easy, or tough i always get them wrong lol they just don't work for me.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:53 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:here are some words on the upcoming LSAT -- I hope they help because if you are here they apply to you I promise.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/februa ... -the-test/

Thanks Mike!!

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:54 pm

Miracle wrote:PT 58

LR1 -1 (Flaw question)
LG -2
RC -2
LR2 -3 (Flaw questions)

93=172!

These flaw questions. I just want to cry

Nice job! Each individual section score looks great; that's a tough curve.

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:35 pm

Just got my passport picture. Shit is getting real!

and for flaw questions its all about finding that gap

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Miracle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 pm

90convoy wrote:Just got my passport picture. Shit is getting real!

and for flaw questions its all about finding that gap


Stop saying that! Its just a test. A test we all have already seen, and will do fabulously on

User avatar
W$RKliveWELL
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 1:17 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:34 pm

I'm beyond over this sh*t bring on Sat we're all prepared in here!




lol continues to drill games just incase :lol:

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby zhenders » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:51 pm

My damned head lol... I'm so glad that's over. I'm glad that I did this, and I'm damned lucky I did alright, because that first test I was SURE I was going to bomb from the way I felt.


PT68:

RC: -3 (lol my poor brain. There really was just no chance; I'm blown away I didn't miss 10.)
LR1: -1
LR2: -1
LG: -0

-5/177

PT69:

LR1: -0
LG: -1
RC: -2
LR2: -1

-4/177

Again: glad it's over. The rest of today is pure R&R.

Also: Miracle! Hell yes! Great test, that one -- and how awesome (even though frustrating) that you're dominating -- without fail -- basically every question type except for 1!

Food time; breakfast was a looooong time ago :)

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby random number » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:53 pm

zhenders wrote:
PT68:

RC: -3 (lol my poor brain. There really was just no chance; I'm blown away I didn't miss 10.)
LR1: -1
LR2: -1
LG: -0

-5/177

PT69:

LR1: -0
LG: -1
RC: -2
LR2: -1

-4/177

Again: glad it's over. The rest of today is pure R&R.



As always, fantastic work! I think that you should see an uptick in RC scores once you are well rested.

You've got me thinking about doubling up on PTs tomorrow. What do you think about 71 + 67 (which one of the 60s has the hardest games?)?

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby zhenders » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:59 pm

random number wrote:
zhenders wrote:My damned head lol... I'm so glad that's over. I'm glad that I did this, and I'm damned lucky I did alright, because that first test I was SURE I was going to bomb from the way I felt.


PT68:

RC: -3 (lol my poor brain. There really was just no chance; I'm blown away I didn't miss 10.)
LR1: -1
LR2: -1
LG: -0

-5/177

PT69:

LR1: -0
LG: -1
RC: -2
LR2: -1

-4/177

Again: glad it's over. The rest of today is pure R&R.

Also: Miracle! Hell yes! Great test, that one -- and how awesome (even though frustrating) that you're dominating -- without fail -- basically every question type except for 1!

Food time; breakfast was a looooong time ago :)


As always, fantastic work! I think that you should see an uptick in RC scores once you are well rested.

You've got me thinking about doubling up on PTs tomorrow. What do you think about 71 + 67 (which one of the 60s has the hardest games?)?


Personally, I really like fatigue training like this; generally I do recommend it! It certainly will make the 5-section test day test feel comparatively short :)

The only potential downside I can see is doing significantly more poorly on the second test due to fatigue and psyching oneself out as a result -- but if you're not susceptable to psyching yourself out, I would say give it a shot =)

I suspect you're right too about RC; on the first, fatigue was definitely a factor, and I suspect it was on the second test also. Here's hoping :)

Edit: hardest games section -- I know that the one I had the most trouble with was 62 :)
Last edited by zhenders on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby random number » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:01 pm

zhenders wrote:Personally, I really like fatigue training like this; generally I do recommend it! It certainly will make the 5-section test day test feel comparatively short :)

The only potential downside I can see is doing significantly more poorly on the second test due to fatigue and psyching oneself out as a result -- but if you're not susceptable to psyching yourself out, I would say give it a shot =)

I suspect you're right too about RC; on the first, fatigue was definitely a factor, and I suspect it was on the second test also. Here's hoping :)


I think i'll try it then. Which of the 60s did you find to be the most difficult?

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Miracle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:02 pm

zhenders wrote:My damned head lol... I'm so glad that's over. I'm glad that I did this, and I'm damned lucky I did alright, because that first test I was SURE I was going to bomb from the way I felt.


PT68:

RC: -3 (lol my poor brain. There really was just no chance; I'm blown away I didn't miss 10.)
LR1: -1
LR2: -1
LG: -0

-5/177

PT69:

LR1: -0
LG: -1
RC: -2
LR2: -1

-4/177

Again: glad it's over. The rest of today is pure R&R.

Also: Miracle! Hell yes! Great test, that one -- and how awesome (even though frustrating) that you're dominating -- without fail -- basically every question type except for 1!

Food time; breakfast was a looooong time ago :)


Congrats!!! Great scores!!! Im taking another one tonight…

Yeah, pretty much…I'm good at everything except flaw :P Some of the LR questions i didn't even have to drill much…they just came to naturally…some no drilling can help lol

I still don't know if i will be taking the test at all. We are all snowed in here. No one can move. :shock:

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby zhenders » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:04 pm

62 :)

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Miracle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:05 pm

random number wrote:
zhenders wrote:Personally, I really like fatigue training like this; generally I do recommend it! It certainly will make the 5-section test day test feel comparatively short :)

The only potential downside I can see is doing significantly more poorly on the second test due to fatigue and psyching oneself out as a result -- but if you're not susceptable to psyching yourself out, I would say give it a shot =)

I suspect you're right too about RC; on the first, fatigue was definitely a factor, and I suspect it was on the second test also. Here's hoping :)


I think i'll try it then. Which of the 60s did you find to be the most difficult?


+1 i would love to know this as well as i will be taking two from the 60's tomorrow. :)

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Miracle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:05 pm

zhenders wrote:62 :)


Give me one more…

Why do you say 62 with sarcasm? lol




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, Anon.y.mousse., dontsaywhatyoumean, Instrumental and 12 guests