February 2014 LSAT Study Group

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby random number » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:57 am

Morning everyone!

I woke up early this morning and am about take PT 70.

Good luck in your studying!

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:04 am

Took 71 yesterday and got a 171. Feeling pretty good gonna do 70 today and that will be it for me!

check this distribution out lol

LR -1
LG -3
RC -9 (woah there!)

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby random number » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:12 am

90convoy wrote:Took 71 yesterday and got a 171. Feeling pretty good gonna do 70 today and that will be it for me!

check this distribution out lol

LR -1
LG -3
RC -9 (woah there!)


Nice work there! That's a fantastic LR score.

For RC, did you miss most of the questions on a single passage or was the whole section difficult?

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:19 am

random number wrote:
90convoy wrote:Took 71 yesterday and got a 171. Feeling pretty good gonna do 70 today and that will be it for me!

check this distribution out lol

LR -1
LG -3
RC -9 (woah there!)


Nice work there! That's a fantastic LR score.

For RC, did you miss most of the questions on a single passage or was the whole section difficult?



I think it was a combination of it being a difficult section and using a bad technique. I'd say it is slightly harder than average though.

User avatar
W$RKliveWELL
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 1:17 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:43 am

Morning everyone, hope we all have a super productive day today since were almost coming in to home stretch. btw if I learned anything from the last test it was that its ok to put this LSAT stuff away for a couple hours or a day when you cant take anymore you'll be better off for it.

Also going to read through the RC posts over the last couple pages today before I drill a couple passages. thanks for all the diff perspectives on it guys

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby zhenders » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:09 am

Morning, everyone :) feeling less delirious; about to make breakfast, then sit down for a double (68/69h. We're almost DONE!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:09 am

90convoy wrote:Took 71 yesterday and got a 171. Feeling pretty good gonna do 70 today and that will be it for me!

check this distribution out lol

LR -1
LG -3
RC -9 (woah there!)

Wow yeah, AWESOME lr score! I actually found 71's LR to be pretty difficult. I also thought some of the questions were abnormally tough on that RC passage about innate talent versus hard work.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Took 71 this morning, got a 173, which I am happy with (despite it being 2 pts below my average)

I think I can tighten up on comparative RC. But DANG that last RC gave me a run for its money. I was scared shitless when I started it.

LR1: -4 (I blame getting up at 6am to do take the test...Two of the mistakes were just reading the stupid question incorrectly...)
LG: -0
LR2: -3 (a bit better)
RC: -4 (the comparative reading represents 3 of those points.)

If I got a 173, I could live with it. But at least I can drill a few comparative reading passages in the mean time. And just read better.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:26 pm

Also, strongly considering NOT doing another test until test day, just to prevent burnout. I think I'll do a few practice comparative reading sections tonight, and take a few LR sections tomorrow, but I think if I go into test day REALLY excited/fiending (let's face it, after 35 PT's I'm fucking addicted to testing.) then I will be so much more interested in what I'm doing. Increased interest tends to correlate with higher scores.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:46 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:Also, strongly considering NOT doing another test until test day, just to prevent burnout. I think I'll do a few practice comparative reading sections tonight, and take a few LR sections tomorrow, but I think if I go into test day REALLY excited/fiending (let's face it, after 35 PT's I'm fucking addicted to testing.) then I will be so much more interested in what I'm doing. Increased interest tends to correlate with higher scores.

I took 71 yesterday and won't be taking another PT. I think this can definitely work for a lot of people.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Miracle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Im calling LSAC right now to ask when will will they announce test closings/if any. Does anyone have experience with this?

We just had 8"+ of snow, and have snow emergency effect for the whole county…its a mess up here.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Miracle wrote:Im calling LSAC right now to ask when will will they announce test closings/if any. Does anyone have experience with this?

We just had 8"+ of snow, and have snow emergency effect for the whole county…its a mess up here.



Blaarrrrgggggggggg. The very thought of this kind of fuckery having to go down is nauseating.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Miracle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:12 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
Miracle wrote:Im calling LSAC right now to ask when will will they announce test closings/if any. Does anyone have experience with this?

We just had 8"+ of snow, and have snow emergency effect for the whole county…its a mess up here.



Blaarrrrgggggggggg. The very thought of this kind of fuckery having to go down is nauseating.


I just called. They said the test center has to notify them. As soon as it does, they will let us know. :shock:

I did not know the test center itself is the one that chooses to close-not LSAC.

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:13 pm

xylocarp wrote:
90convoy wrote:Took 71 yesterday and got a 171. Feeling pretty good gonna do 70 today and that will be it for me!

check this distribution out lol

LR -1
LG -3
RC -9 (woah there!)

Wow yeah, AWESOME lr score! I actually found 71's LR to be pretty difficult. I also thought some of the questions were abnormally tough on that RC passage about innate talent versus hard work.


Thanks! The comparative RC passage killed me. I hate questions dealing with analogies.

User avatar
alecks
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby alecks » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:26 pm

I think I might take one tonight after work and then just do some timed sections tomorrow. It's going to be a Frankenstein test bc I've exhausted all the material at this point, so I'll take an older RC passage and a newer rest of test.

Retaking makes me nervous about what I'll actually get. But I can't beat myself up now because what's done is done for now. :/

I got a 168 on the PT I took Sunday but for some reason I don't feel good about it, since it was technically a retake.

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby random number » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:58 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:Took 71 this morning, got a 173, which I am happy with (despite it being 2 pts below my average)

LR1: -4 (I blame getting up at 6am to do take the test...Two of the mistakes were just reading the stupid question incorrectly...)
LG: -0
LR2: -3 (a bit better)
RC: -4 (the comparative reading represents 3 of those points.)

If I got a 173, I could live with it. But at least I can drill a few comparative reading passages in the mean time. And just read better.


Nice work!

Did you warm up before the test, or jump right into it? If the latter, this perhaps that explains your LG1 mistakes and suggests that you should warm up on test day.
Last edited by random number on Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby random number » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Just took 70 with the built-in experimental section. I will mix up the section order again.

RC: -1 (I'm happy with this)
LG: -2 (argh, I made one silly mistake and rushed through a rule replacement question)
LR1: -2 (pretty happy, although I take issue with section 1, question 17)
Exp: -0 (Why does this keep happening????)
LR2: -1 (Pretty happy with this)

Scaled Score of 175. This gives me a 5 test average of 175.2 with a median of 175. I think that I am finally feeling comfortable, although my propensity for messing up logic games (I nearly had a major meltdown on the second one and ended up skipping it) still makes me nervous.

Also, I had two major bubbling errors, so I need to be sure to give myself adequate time to review my answers.

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Cooley wished me luck.

Put a picture up of all black men and an indian girls....


Sly Cooley, Sly...

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:25 pm

random number wrote:Just took 70 with the built-in experimental section. I will mix up the section order again.

RC: -1 (I'm happy with this)
LG: -2 (argh, I made one silly mistake and rushed through a rule replacement question)
LR1: -2 (pretty happy, although I take issue with section 1, question 17)
Exp: -0 (Why does this keep happening????)
LR2: -1 (Pretty happy with this)

Scaled Score of 175. This gives me a 5 test average of 175.2 with a median of 175. I think that I am finally feeling comfortable, although my propensity for messing up logic games (I nearly had a major meltdown on the second one and ended up skipping it) still makes me nervous.

Also, I had two major bubbling errors, so I need to be sure to give myself adequate time to review my answers.

We have weirdly similar PTs haha. I also got a 175 on 70 with a similar breakdown. As of 71 (last PT before Saturday), my 5 PT average is 175.4, 10 PT average is 174.6, overall median and mode scores are both 175. I'll be interested to see how 71 goes for you!

Also, congratulations obviously! Let's both get 175s on test day haha.

User avatar
alecks
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby alecks » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Curious for those of you scoring 170+ how long have you been studying and what was your diagnostic?

User avatar
pech71
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:11 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby pech71 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:39 pm

Officially withdrew today from test and signed up for valentines day bar crawl in DC. Great trade off.

Good luck to everyone!! Especially Zhenders, I hope you get your 180.

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:43 pm

pech71 wrote:Officially withdrew today from test and signed up for valentines day bar crawl in DC. Great trade off.

Good luck to everyone!! Especially Zhenders, I hope you get your 180.


Are you done with law, or are you retaking another time?

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby random number » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:51 pm

xylocarp wrote:We have weirdly similar PTs haha. I also got a 175 on 70 with a similar breakdown. As of 71 (last PT before Saturday), my 5 PT average is 175.4, 10 PT average is 174.6, overall median and mode scores are both 175. I'll be interested to see how 71 goes for you!

Also, congratulations obviously! Let's both get 175s on test day haha.


Thanks! I plan to take 71 tomorrow, so I'll be sure to post it. Are you done PTing before the test?

User avatar
pech71
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:11 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby pech71 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:52 pm

BankruptMe wrote:
pech71 wrote:Officially withdrew today from test and signed up for valentines day bar crawl in DC. Great trade off.

Good luck to everyone!! Especially Zhenders, I hope you get your 180.


Are you done with law, or are you retaking another time?


I am never done with law!

Decided to attend Catholic since they offered a sizable scholarship. I am already employed as a patent agent at a top IP law firm so even if I went to GW/Harvard it wouldn't matter for me in terms of employment. I just want the most inexpensive option to limit my out of pocket expenses (which is why Mason was attractive option for in state tuition but CUA is much cheaper with scholarship).

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:53 pm

alecks wrote:Curious for those of you scoring 170+ how long have you been studying and what was your diagnostic?

My studying story is a little weird and, from what I've gathered, entirely atypical. I took a cold timed diagnostic last April and scored a 154. Then I went to a local bookstore and bought some Princeton Review book or something because I didn't know any better. I got through about two chapters of that over maybe three months before I trashed it. Then I got the PowerScore Logic Games Bible and worked through that over about four months. In November, I took another diagnostic to see where I was and scored a 175. I do not know how to explain this discrepancy. Since then, I've taken a ten PTs and drilled a lot of LG; I've just been trying to get consistent basically. So pretty much, I don't really understand what happened with my studying nor do I know yet how it will turn out on test day. Maybe I'll get a 154, because that would be about as understandable to me as that second diagnostic, haha :mrgreen:




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], galeatus, Google [Bot] and 7 guests