February 2014 LSAT Study Group

dasani13

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby dasani13 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:10 pm

xylocarp wrote:
dasani13 wrote:Checking in! Was averaging in the low 160s before December so I withdrew the night before. I'm shooting for a high 160 (Cornell is my top choice) or bust so I felt like it was the best decision to make. I'm starting my February prep today-- if anyone is in a similar boat and wants to join me in studying/PTing together, feel free to PM me or just reply here. :)

Are you applying this cycle or next? Just out of curiosity

Probably next cycle because it seems like the schools I'm looking at have deadlines before the February scores come out. You?

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:46 pm

dasani13 wrote:Checking in! Was averaging in the low 160s before December so I withdrew the night before. I'm shooting for a high 160 (Cornell is my top choice) or bust so I felt like it was the best decision to make. I'm starting my February prep today-- if anyone is in a similar boat and wants to join me in studying/PTing together, feel free to PM me or just reply here. :)

Update: Just bought the LSAT Trainer and will be starting it Wednesday when it arrives. I'm trying to come up with a PT schedule right now and since I've done almost all of them (except like the last 3 or so) I'm struggling a bit.

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:52 pm

dasani13 wrote:

Update: Just bought the LSAT Trainer and will be starting it Wednesday when it arrives. I'm trying to come up with a PT schedule right now and since I've done almost all of them (except like the last 3 or so) I'm struggling a bit.

I have just done the first into chapters... I'm already looking forward to this book and it seems like it's written in a way that is far different from the rest of the market. Are you planning on doing the whole book or just in portions you aren't as strong?

How many hours a day/week are you looking to put in? It would be helpful to have someone else to keep me accountable, although I don't know how much help I'd be able to give you; your scores eclipse mine. lol

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:07 pm

checking in. gunning for HYS this cycle. Highest lsat practice test is 172. just took PT 57 after not looking at LSAT materials for over a year, scored a 160 :( - time to get back at it!!

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:11 pm

Checking in

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:36 pm

cloy26 wrote:
dasani13 wrote:

I have just done the first into chapters... I'm already looking forward to this book and it seems like it's written in a way that is far different from the rest of the market. Are you planning on doing the whole book or just in portions you aren't as strong?

How many hours a day/week are you looking to put in? It would be helpful to have someone else to keep me accountable, although I don't know how much help I'd be able to give you; your scores eclipse mine. lol

I'm planning on 9am-2pm EST everyday with 1 or 2 days off per week. I'm focusing on my timing issues (this probably means a lot of timed PTs) since untimed I'm in the 170s. I also need as much help as possible with RC because I'm averaging -8 (timed) so I'll be focusing on the RC chapters. I'd be glad to coordinate something with you and/or others in this thread, regardless of where you're scoring. It's very helpful to discuss progress and review PTs with others in the same situation.

Split90

Postby Split90 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:18 am

loomstate wrote:checking in. gunning for HYS this cycle. Highest lsat practice test is 172. just took PT 57 after not looking at LSAT materials for over a year, scored a 160 :( - time to get back at it!!

Are u applying to hys in this cycle with the feb score? Are u an urm?

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:14 am

Ordering Mike Kim's Trainer this coming Friday. Really tempted to get expedited shipping, especially after reading the free chapters. Time to buckle down.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:16 am

cloy26 wrote:
dasani13 wrote:

Judging by the approach Mike preaches in the opening few chapters, it sounds like the best way to tackle the book is by working from the beginning straight through. Although I imagine focusing on weak areas is better than nothing. But there are enough weeks left on the calender (not that I'm counting*).

* - a lie

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:25 am

I was debating doing the standard 8 week schedule... After your comment and looking at it a second time, it seems to be the best bet for me and where I am in my understanding of the test. It looks like a solid balance of foundation building, drilling, and PTing (albeit only 6 PTs). Maybe slipping in an extra PT or two in the later weeks.

Judging by your comment, you're going to be doing something similar?

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:37 am

cloy26 wrote:I was debating doing the standard 8 week schedule... After your comment and looking at it a second time, it seems to be the best bet for me and where I am in my understanding of the test. It looks like a solid balance of foundation building, drilling, and PTing (albeit only 6 PTs). Maybe slipping in an extra PT or two in the later weeks.

Judging by your comment, you're going to be doing something similar?

I'll have the book for about 7 weeks before Test Day (due to shipping) and will be doing most of that work upfront, leaving me a solid 2-3 weeks to PT/drill, drill, drill and review.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:11 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Checking in

Haha I feel you bro

Tlucidum

Postby Tlucidum » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:04 pm

Anyone else feel like finals are steadily eroding their LSAT capabilities? Haven't been able to take a real practice test or study effectively for a couple weeks. Squeezed PT54 in yesterday and boom 168. Timing wasn't even the issue (I finished everything with a minute or two to spare). I haven't gone -8 total in LR in ages (and 3 of them were in the first 10 of either section). Tests before this were 173, 174, 176, 176.

I feel like my problem areas in LR are Strengthen/Weaken and Flaw, but I really want to expose myself to as much as possible in addition to working on these. I was thinking of running through all the Cambridge LR packets while rereading relevant Manhattan LR/LRB chapters. Thoughts?

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:26 pm

Tlucidum wrote:Anyone else feel like finals are steadily eroding their LSAT capabilities?

Absolutely yes. I'm going to have to go hard during the break.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:42 pm

xylocarp wrote:
Tlucidum wrote:Anyone else feel like finals are steadily eroding their LSAT capabilities?

Oh students.

With love,
"Productive" member of the workforce

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:46 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
xylocarp wrote:

Oh students.

With love,

+1. not a day goes by that i don't think about all that time i thought i didn't have.

chaoticx5

Postby chaoticx5 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Checking in. Wrote for the December LSAT. I though it was a fairly straight forward test. I didn't have any issues with any of the LG or LR but with RC I struggled with timing. Timing was crazy during the real test and caught me off guard. "Section 1 starts now, 5 minutes left, pencils down, no more writing. Section 2 starts now..." I went into robot mode for most of the exam so I'm not quite sure how well I did. No matter what my score is, I'll most likely take February as I have a fee waiver.

I wish I wasn't so nervous. Felt like I was facing a monster but when I actually finished the exam and knew what that monster looked like it was more like a yapping chihuahua. Excited to retake!

Also the LSAT Trainer is the best guide out there that I've read for RC and LR. I read the LGB so I skipped the LG section since I usually score perfect. Mike Kim breaks down LR into question types and how to steps. Enough so you'll be able to internalize these steps and automatically use them for the exam. Good luck everyone.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:05 pm

wealtheow wrote:
xylocarp wrote:

Oh students.

With love,

+1. not a day goes by that i don't think about all that time i thought i didn't have.

Eh, I'm not in this category but I do know people who sleep five hours/night and otherwise just shut themselves in the library all day every day during finals weeks. Zero free time no matter how you look at it.
Personally, I don't have super demanding classes like that, but I have a few papers to do along with two jobs and an internship, so I am having trouble finding time to study during finals. I don't doubt that there are jobs that would make it even harder though.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:08 pm

dasani13 wrote:
xylocarp wrote:

Are you applying this cycle or next? Just out of curiosity

Probably next cycle because it seems like the schools I'm looking at have deadlines before the February scores come out. You?

Which schools? Most of mine (t25) are in March, April and well into the summer.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:10 pm

xylocarp wrote:Eh, I'm not in this category but I do know people who sleep five hours/night and otherwise just shut themselves in the library all day every day during finals weeks. Zero free time no matter how you look at it.
Personally, I don't have super demanding classes like that, but I have a few papers to do along with two jobs and an internship, so I am having trouble finding time to study during finals. I don't doubt that there are jobs that would make it even harder though.

Didn't mean to mock students. It can be tough. In fact I sat out a year in part so I could focus on my senior year grades - anything to boost my TTT GPA.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:14 pm

xylocarp wrote:Eh, I'm not in this category but I do know people who sleep five hours/night and otherwise just shut themselves in the library all day every day during finals weeks. Zero free time no matter how you look at it.

Didn't mean to mock students. It can be tough. In fact I sat out a year in part so I could focus on my senior year grades - anything to boost my TTT GPA.

No worries :) Have you been studying since graduation?

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:18 pm

xylocarp wrote:

No worries :) Have you been studying since graduation?

No, I wish! (Well that might be a little strong.) For about the past month with a few false starts in the last year.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:32 pm

xylocarp wrote:Have you been studying since graduation?

No, I wish! (Well that might be a little strong.) For about the past month with a few false starts in the last year.

I feel you on that. I actually "started studying" around May, but not really... at all... my studying at that point consisted of buying some Princeton Review LSAT book and getting through less than a chapter.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:45 pm

xylocarp wrote:
xylocarp wrote:Have you been studying since graduation?

I feel you on that. I actually "started studying" around May, but not really... at all... my studying at that point consisted of buying some Princeton Review LSAT book and getting through less than a chapter.

Exactly!

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:23 pm

oops, likewise, no jab intended. i just miss life before FT work!!

anyway i totally posted in here by accident, got confused, although depending on december scores i may be returning... hopefully not though, haha. :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”