February 2014 LSAT Study Group

xylocarp

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:57 am

BankruptMe wrote:I am going to review every LR question I have done on Friday. It is half of the test and if I can bang those out and get a decent RC score, I know I can break 160.

Every LR question... you've ever done? :shock: Way to go all out, you're going to do awesome Saturday!!

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:00 pm

xylocarp wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:I am going to review every LR question I have done on Friday. It is half of the test and if I can bang those out and get a decent RC score, I know I can break 160.

Every LR question... you've ever done? :shock: Way to go all out, you're going to do awesome Saturday!!

is that possible?

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:00 pm

xylocarp wrote:

It will be about 200-300 questions.

I am assuming i may go 50% on LG, if I can go 75%+ on RC and LR, It will be enough.

I am hoping for better, but I am going to work on my strengths make sure they are solid (RC, then LR) and sweep up what LG I can.

You do not want to spend all your time on your weakness, and let your strengths slip.

random number

Postby random number » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Just finished PT 69. I was really interested in the results of this test, because it is the one that I am retaking from last June.

I elected to buy the 5 section one from Cambridge, so I will mix up the order of sections as to not give away which is the experimental.

LG: -0 (I am ecstatic - I went -9 on these in June, but this time I finished with 2 minutes to spare)
LR1: -2 (About what I missed in June)
LR2: -3 (Argh - I missed 2 of the first 4 questions. I think this one of the few times where I legitimately disagree with an answer)
RC: -1 (Glad to know that I can still do this :) )
Experimental: -0 (Good practice I guess)

Scaled Score: 175.

My main takeaway is that I often over think early LRs, and really just need to go with my gut on the easy ones.

Obviously I am happy, but I am also kicking myself for not adequately preparing for June. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Plus, I wouldn't have gotten to hang out with you guys without retaking :)

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:02 pm

random number wrote:Just finished PT 69. I was really interested in the results of this test, because it is the one that I am retaking from last June.

I elected to buy the 5 section one from Cambridge, so I will mix up the order of sections as to not give away which is the experimental.

LG: -0 (I am ecstatic - I went -9 on these in June, but this time I finished with 2 minutes to spare)
LR2: -3 (Argh - I missed 2 of the first 4 questions. I think this one of the few times where I legitimately disagree with an answer)

My main takeaway is that I often over think early LRs, and really just need to go with my gut on the easy ones.

Obviously I am happy, but I am also kicking myself for not adequately preparing for June. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Plus, I wouldn't have gotten to hang out with you guys without retaking :)

Nice job! What's the LR you disagree with (out of curiosity)?

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:03 pm

random number wrote:Just finished PT 69. I was really interested in the results of this test, because it is the one that I am retaking from last June.

Still an overall killer PT, friend :)

Over thinking early LR is def. a thing. I've come to the conclusion that it isn't that early (1-12) LR are easier necessarily -- it's that they rely on a much more direct application of logic; they are less nuanced -- which, if you're in the mindset of later LR questions, can totally screw you because we're trained by now to SUSPECT nuance.

Regardless, 175 = killer.

On break for 67 now; feeling really good so far; I liked these LG lots (the last game in particular I thought was pretty cool).

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:25 pm

Univ of Iowa is wishing me luck

aint dat sweeeeet

I think I am going to PT a little later. Let's see how it goes.

W$RKliveWELL

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:51 pm

today is a slow day felt like I was forcing through it this morning and decided to save my studying for the afternoon.

btw anyone else in here already apply this cycle and are using the feb lsat to help their chances/ get more scholarship $$?

random number

Postby random number » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks guys!

Re: Xylocarp it was question #2 on the first LR section in the test.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:54 pm

5 reading comps today. 5 sets of logic games and then PT

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:05 pm

Miracle wrote:5 reading comps today. 5 sets of logic games and then PT

Kill it!

I'm going to print off a bunch (like 5 sections or so) of LG and work through them on the plane home tomorrow morning, I think; the rest of today is gonna be LSAT-free.

PT67

Felt weird. The last LR section felt super, super hard to me. And the one I missed on LR1 I spent -- no lie -- 10 minutes on, and then after grading and I reviewed it, it was damned near a facepalm-worthy miss.

RC: -1
LR1: -1
LG: -0
LR: -1

-3/178.

I have only two more days of test-taking: Wednesday, it's 68/69 back-to-back, and Thursday it's 70/71 back-to-back.

Keep it up, everyone. Home stretch; you all are awesome.

WaltGrace83

Postby WaltGrace83 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Just wanted to come in and say I wish you all good luck! I am prepping with the gang in the June14 thread.

It is nerve-wracking as hell that I am "on deck" essentially. After Saturday, the spotlight is on us! At least I have about 17 weeks to firm up!

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:08 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:Just wanted to come in and say I wish you all good luck! I am prepping with the gang in the June14 thread.

It is nerve-wracking as hell that I am "on deck" essentially. After Saturday, the spotlight is on us! At least I have about 17 weeks to firm up!
WaltGrace83 wrote:Just wanted to come in and say I wish you all good luck! I am prepping with the gang in the June14 thread.

You're gonna kill it; study smart, study hard :) thanks for the good wishes!

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:08 pm

I need to talk application strategy with someone. I am trying with my parents, but they just dont get it.

And then the one person i know who actually applied to law school is strictly T20 or bust. So i am kind of lost. ugh

random number

Postby random number » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:09 pm

zhenders wrote:
PT67

Felt weird. The last LR section felt super, super hard to me. And the one I missed on LR1 I spent -- no lie -- 10 minutes on, and then after grading and I reviewed it, it was damned near a facepalm-worthy miss.

-3/178.

I have only two more days of test-taking: Wednesday, it's 68/69 back-to-back, and Thursday it's 70/71 back-to-back.

Nice work! What does this do to your 5 test average (or do you not keep track of that)?

How did you find the LGs on 67? I've heard that they are difficult, but you seem to have had no trouble :)

random number

Postby random number » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks Walt! Good luck to you too!

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:10 pm

I don't know how much help I would be friend, but if you need any advice whatsoever with respect to writing/personal statements, drop me a line.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:14 pm

random number wrote:
zhenders wrote:
PT67

-3/178.

Nice work! What does this do to your 5 test average (or do you not keep track of that)?

How did you find the LGs on 67? I've heard that they are difficult, but you seem to have had no trouble :)

My 5-test is a 178 -- better than I ever in a million years would have thought it could have been (177, 176, 180, 179, 178).

Game 4 was a potentially really tricky game -- because of the wording! Usually it's the kind of game that I actually have the most trouble with: it was one of those where the language feels really vague; in the past, I've bombed these games, because I've inferred something that wasn't there, or just plain couldn't discern the meaning. I sorted this one out though, and once I did the game actually was super-fun, and not a very difficult one.

The first three weren't bad; one other felt "medium", and the other two felt pretty easy. Finished with time to spare, which is always a nice feeling with LG.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:14 pm

Thanks! You'll kill it in June for sure!

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:15 pm

zhenders wrote:My 5-test is a 178 -- better than I ever in a million years would have thought it could have been (177, 176, 180, 179, 178).

Yikes, you were really slacking with that 176. Better step it up, zhenders.

ETA: I forgot that this is is the internet

This was sarcasm

ETA2: zhenders is a beast

alecks

Postby alecks » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:16 pm

W$RKliveWELL wrote:today is a slow day felt like I was forcing through it this morning and decided to save my studying for the afternoon.

btw anyone else in here already apply this cycle and are using the feb lsat to help their chances/ get more scholarship $$?

me... sort of. I have a crap LSAT score from 2011 but I asked them not to consider that score to consider the AWESOME one I'm gonna get on Saturday~

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:16 pm

xylocarp wrote:
zhenders wrote:My 5-test is a 178 -- better than I ever in a million years would have thought it could have been (177, 176, 180, 179, 178).

lol, yes ma'am.

But seriously. If I hit a 176 on test day, I'm gonna buy everyone Pizza.

I'm pretty poor though, so I might have to just put some Totino's in the mail for y'all and we can just hope for the best :-/

random number

Postby random number » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:19 pm

zhenders wrote:
My 5-test is a 178 -- better than I ever in a million years would have thought it could have been (177, 176, 180, 179, 178).

Game 4 was a potentially really tricky game -- because of the wording! Usually it's the kind of game that I actually have the most trouble with: it was one of those where the language feels really vague; in the past, I've bombed these games, because I've inferred something that wasn't there, or just plain couldn't discern the meaning. I sorted this one out though, and once I did the game actually was super-fun, and not a very difficult one.

The first three weren't bad; one other felt "medium", and the other two felt pretty easy. Finished with time to spare, which is always a nice feeling with LG.

Wow. Just wow.

I am probably more excited to see how you do on the LSAT than I am to see my own score. :D

Thanks for the info on the games!

random number

Postby random number » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Is anyone else now trying to take PTs around the actual test time? I did this morning, but probably won't be able to for the rest of the week due to classes. Hopefully this won't matter too much.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:21 pm

zhenders wrote:
xylocarp wrote:

lol, yes ma'am.

But seriously. If I hit a 176 on test day, I'm gonna buy everyone Pizza.

I'm pretty poor though, so I might have to just put some Totino's in the mail for y'all and we can just hope for the best :-/

We should do a tinychat on gray day and you can just tell us your score, which will be exciting enough sans pizza I think

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”