February 2014 LSAT Study Group

User avatar
cloy26
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby cloy26 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:11 pm

Miracle wrote:
cloy26 wrote:I can't understand SA questions to save my life anymore. I understand what I'm trying to do, but I can't seem to translate the ideas/concepts... It's like my reading comprehension for those questions alone falls back to a fourth grade level.

um... suggestions?


What is SA?


Sufficient Assumption.

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby random number » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:13 pm

xylocarp wrote:Yeah that last passage was super tough. All of my RC mistakes were legitimate deficiencies in my comprehension of the readings, not stupid or silly or anything.

For LR I missed 16 and 20 but 16 was a misbubble. Which did you miss?


I missed 10 and 21.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Miracle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:20 pm

cloy26 wrote:
Miracle wrote:
cloy26 wrote:I can't understand SA questions to save my life anymore. I understand what I'm trying to do, but I can't seem to translate the ideas/concepts... It's like my reading comprehension for those questions alone falls back to a fourth grade level.

um... suggestions?


What is SA?


Sufficient Assumption.


We refer to those as Justify the Conclusion in Powerscore world lol :wink:

I wish i could help you however i am a hot mess.

User avatar
cloy26
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby cloy26 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Miracle wrote:
cloy26 wrote:
Miracle wrote:
cloy26 wrote:I can't understand SA questions to save my life anymore. I understand what I'm trying to do, but I can't seem to translate the ideas/concepts... It's like my reading comprehension for those questions alone falls back to a fourth grade level.

um... suggestions?


What is SA?


Sufficient Assumption.


We refer to those as Justify the Conclusion in Powerscore world lol :wink:

I wish i could help you however i am a hot mess.


It's the conditional nature mixed with the abstraction of certain questions. In concrete terms, I can strengthen and weaken arguments like a maniac, but god forbid the stimulus goes a little abstract.

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby BentleyLittle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:25 pm

So I'm snowed in. Been drinking and playing flappy bird all day. Sometimes a day off is TCR. :D

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Miracle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:26 pm

We refer to those as Justify the Conclusion in Powerscore world lol :wink:

I wish i could help you however i am a hot mess.[/quote]

It's the conditional nature mixed with the abstraction of certain questions. In concrete terms, I can strengthen and weaken arguments like a maniac, but god forbid the stimulus goes a little abstract.[/quote]

i can't weaken for the life of me. I did PT54, and got every single weaken, and flaw question wrong.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Miracle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:26 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:So I'm snowed in. Been drinking and playing flappy bird all day. Sometimes a day off is TCR. :D


Im snowed in as well. :mrgreen:

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby zhenders » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:13 pm

Jealous of you snowed-ins! (I get it -- that's all kinds of weird. All I can say is I'm originally Canadian, so it just kind of follows).

xylocarp wrote:PT 61

RC -3 (rough)
LR1 -2 (one of these was a misbubble... yikes)
LG -0 (drilling paying off? or just an easy section?)
LR2 -0 (super confused by this one. I felt sluggish the entire time and zoned out quite a bit during this section.)

Raw score: 96/101
Scaled: 177

I'm really excited because this PT finally marks the last of my 171 slump no longer being included in my 5 PT average, which is now 174.6. Still trying to increase that to 176 so I can hopefully snag a 173 on test day even with the traditional decrease, but I don't think it's going to happen, since I've never scored 178+. I guess we'll see. Regardless, I'm happy with this score and will now celebrate by ordering Indian food.



So good!!!! And going into test day, even if it doesn't tick up anymore, 175 is a super-strong average for a goal of 173 :-) +/- 5 points is standard, sure -- and not everyone does worse on test day! Some people spike upwards.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:31 pm

http://tinychat.com/tls14

I'll be kicking it in there for awhile.

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby zhenders » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:57 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:http://tinychat.com/tls14

I'll be kicking it in there for awhile.


I'm in for a bit as well

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:40 pm

zhenders wrote:
Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:http://tinychat.com/tls14

I'll be kicking it in there for awhile.


I'm in for a bit as well


Sorry to everyone who missed out on us :-)

User avatar
withoutapaddle
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby withoutapaddle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:43 pm

Justify questions are one of my favorite actually

If a word shows up in the last sentence such as physiological concussion, and that word didnt show up in the rest of the passage it must show up in the answer.

An example is:

All males in greece can vote. Socrates is from greece. So, Socrates can vote .

See the one word that wasn't in all three?

Greece will not show up in the answer because it showed up in two premises there's nothing to prove.

Socrates must be male ... This justifies it

Hope that helps

User avatar
withoutapaddle
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby withoutapaddle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:50 pm

^ take the contra positive of that..

Socrates is male.
Socrates is not make<------ this would weaken the argument, so take out not and you have the right answer

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Miracle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:04 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
zhenders wrote:
Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:http://tinychat.com/tls14

I'll be kicking it in there for awhile.


I'm in for a bit as well


Sorry to everyone who missed out on us :-)


What is this chat all about?

scandk
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby scandk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:34 pm

xylocarp wrote:PT 61

RC -3 (rough)
LR1 -2 (one of these was a misbubble... yikes)
LG -0 (drilling paying off? or just an easy section?)
LR2 -0 (super confused by this one. I felt sluggish the entire time and zoned out quite a bit during this section.)

Raw score: 96/101
Scaled: 177

I'm really excited because this PT finally marks the last of my 171 slump no longer being included in my 5 PT average, which is now 174.6. Still trying to increase that to 176 so I can hopefully snag a 173 on test day even with the traditional decrease, but I don't think it's going to happen, since I've never scored 178+. I guess we'll see. Regardless, I'm happy with this score and will now celebrate by ordering Indian food.


Damn dude, congrats! As for the traditional decrease, I think it's a little overrated. I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see you score within your PT range!

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:17 am

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby zhenders » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:11 am

How we're all feeling bout the LSAT

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B-yUKS3O66A

Nicolena.
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Nicolena. » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:29 am

zhenders wrote:How we're all feeling bout the LSAT

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B-yUKS3O66A


Hahaha. I'm gonna miss this thread

User avatar
alecks
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby alecks » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:30 am

omg. yes. that seal feels my pain.

eddiemen2a
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:51 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby eddiemen2a » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:35 am

Can I just be zhenders and score 177 next Saturday? Lol happy Saturday everyone. 6 days.

Nicolena.
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Nicolena. » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:37 am

eddiemen2a wrote:Can I just be zhenders and score 177 next Saturday? Lol happy Saturday everyone. 6 days.


What do you mean? Zhenders is getting a 180!

Are you not hitting your target goal?

I can't believe it's only 6 days away. Crunch time.

User avatar
withoutapaddle
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby withoutapaddle » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:21 am

jaylawyer09

I highly recommend the powerscore LG bible

There's a lot of tricks I learned from the book and it also breaks down flaw in the reasoning questions

If you know method and flaw type questions you can do any other question (Excluding parallel)

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:58 am

Today marks the beginning of my LSAT sleep schedule: asleep by 10, up by 6 :(

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:01 am

zhenders wrote:
xylocarp wrote:PT 61

RC -3 (rough)
LR1 -2 (one of these was a misbubble... yikes)
LG -0 (drilling paying off? or just an easy section?)
LR2 -0 (super confused by this one. I felt sluggish the entire time and zoned out quite a bit during this section.)

Raw score: 96/101
Scaled: 177

I'm really excited because this PT finally marks the last of my 171 slump no longer being included in my 5 PT average, which is now 174.6. Still trying to increase that to 176 so I can hopefully snag a 173 on test day even with the traditional decrease, but I don't think it's going to happen, since I've never scored 178+. I guess we'll see. Regardless, I'm happy with this score and will now celebrate by ordering Indian food.



So good!!!! And going into test day, even if it doesn't tick up anymore, 175 is a super-strong average for a goal of 173 :-) +/- 5 points is standard, sure -- and not everyone does worse on test day! Some people spike upwards.


scandk wrote:Damn dude, congrats! As for the traditional decrease, I think it's a little overrated. I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see you score within your PT range!


Thanks guys :mrgreen:

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:23 am

Could anyone tell me what conditional games are known as across the LSAT studying universe? I'm looking through the Cambridge packets and don't see anything that looks right.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, addie1412 and 9 guests