February 2014 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
random number

Bronze

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Post by random number » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:38 pm

zhenders wrote:I still say you ought to review today -- at least LR and RC. After you review, take the rest of the day off :-/ reviewing immediately after is super important -- if you review after you've forgotten your thought processes on each question, it's not nearly as useful.
Good point - I was assuming that alecks was completely burned out, but if he/she can focus enough to review, then doing so seems like the right call.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:38 pm

OK, this doesn't bode well for next week but does anyone else hate sitting for a complete PT? I'm sure the 2+ hours will go by much faster with the adrenaline pumping but not yet and it feels like a drag.

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:OK, this doesn't bode well for next week but does anyone else hate sitting for a complete PT? I'm sure the 2+ hours will go by much faster with the adrenaline pumping but not yet and it feels like a drag.
Speaking as a retaker, the actual LSAT is a completely different feeling. The sections flew by for me, and during the break I was anxious to get back to the test.

I think that this is because (A) you can never fully convince yourself that a PT matters, while the LSAT definitely does and (B) taking the real LSAT is the only thing capable of distracting you from the pressure of taking the LSAT on game day (if that makes sense)

Either way, don't worry about it. Boredom will be the last thing going through your mind on game day. :)

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:45 pm

random number wrote:
Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:OK, this doesn't bode well for next week but does anyone else hate sitting for a complete PT? I'm sure the 2+ hours will go by much faster with the adrenaline pumping but not yet and it feels like a drag.
Speaking as a retaker, the actual LSAT is a completely different feeling. The sections flew by for me, and during the break I was anxious to get back to the test.

I think that this is because (A) you can never fully convince yourself that a PT matters, while the LSAT definitely does and (B) taking the real LSAT is the only thing capable of distracting you from the pressure of taking the LSAT on game day (if that makes sense)

Either way, don't worry about it. Boredom will be the last thing going through your mind on game day. :)
Yeah, that absolutely makes sense. And, unfortunately, I won't have the answer key next Saturday to score myself after each section.

Not sure that I'm bored but I dread sitting down to PT only because it takes so.damn.long.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:47 pm

random number wrote:
zhenders wrote:I still say you ought to review today -- at least LR and RC. After you review, take the rest of the day off :-/ reviewing immediately after is super important -- if you review after you've forgotten your thought processes on each question, it's not nearly as useful.
Good point - I was assuming that alecks was completely burned out, but if he/she can focus enough to review, then doing so seems like the right call.

Sorry mate, I posted before seeing your response!

RN's totally right of course, if you are truly burnt out. Just be cautious about letting too much time pass :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alecks

Bronze

Post by alecks » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:50 pm

random number wrote:
Yeah I think I will review RC and LR right now. For some reason I took 10 minutes on that first game (which was the 4th section) and then started freaking out the rest of the section, which wasn't good. Also the 5th LR section I was freaking out so I also did poorly.

I took a few deep breaths so I feel a little bit better but I think I will benefit from the rest of the day off after reviewing. Guh, my last fresh PT too. Also I'm a girl :) haha

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:52 pm

alecks wrote: Yeah I think I will review RC and LR right now. For some reason I took 10 minutes on that first game (which was the 4th section) and then started freaking out the rest of the section, which wasn't good. Also the 5th LR section I was freaking out so I also did poorly.

I took a few deep breaths so I feel a little bit better but I think I will benefit from the rest of the day off after reviewing. Guh, my last fresh PT too. Also I'm a girl :) haha
Sounds like a solid plan!

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:54 pm

Brief but SUPER IMPORTANT diversion from your studying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l ... 520590127F

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:57 pm

alecks wrote:
random number wrote:
Yeah I think I will review RC and LR right now. For some reason I took 10 minutes on that first game (which was the 4th section) and then started freaking out the rest of the section, which wasn't good. Also the 5th LR section I was freaking out so I also did poorly.

Sorry alecks! I'm usually pretty conscious of gendered pronouns! :-)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scandk

Bronze

Post by scandk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:18 pm

171'd PT62 (-4 LG, -6 LR, -3 RC). A little disappointed because it should have been -2 LR. Four really dumb mistakes in LR, as well as one really stupid one in RC. The stained glass game wasn't so much hard as it was time consuming, leaving me a little unnder ten minutes to finish the next two games. Still looking for that elusive 175. Last five PTs were 170, 172, 174, 173, and 171 . Really hoping for a 173+ on game day -- but it looks like I'm cutting it rather close.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Its snowing buckets here! :|

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:44 pm

Aaaaand -8 on an LR section, half coming on the same game.

Any PROTIPS for mastering conditional games? The diagrams are all right so the screwups are happening in the questions.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:46 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:Aaaaand -8 on an LR section, half coming on the same game.

Any PROTIPS for mastering conditional games? The diagrams are all right so the screwups are happening in the questions.
I can handle games as long as i don't see conditionals in there :mrgreen: if i see conditionals i get a headache immediately

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:50 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:Aaaaand -8 on an LR section, half coming on the same game.

Do you know all your conditionals? Which game is this referring to in particular?

A lot of times I just do a diagram for each If, then rule so I can see how it effects all the pieces. It takes less time than trying to do it in your head once you get to the questions.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Here's my diagram of G3, PT 45.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:54 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:

Its not showing up

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Miracle wrote: Its not showing up
Look again :-)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Miracle wrote: Its not showing up
Look again :-)
Gor it!

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Sorry but you diagrammed backwards.

It should be

1. U --> S --> W
No W --> No S --> No U

2. No Y --> R
No R --> Y

3. W --> No T & No R
T or R --> No W

You can combine a few of these rules but I like to do it like this:

Write out multiples of

R S T U W Y Z
R S T U W Y Z
R S T U W Y Z
R S T U W Y Z
R S T U W Y Z

Then circle the ones in and cross the ones out.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:36 pm

PT 61

RC -3 (rough)
LR1 -2 (one of these was a misbubble... yikes)
LG -0 (drilling paying off? or just an easy section?)
LR2 -0 (super confused by this one. I felt sluggish the entire time and zoned out quite a bit during this section.)

Raw score: 96/101
Scaled: 177

I'm really excited because this PT finally marks the last of my 171 slump no longer being included in my 5 PT average, which is now 174.6. Still trying to increase that to 176 so I can hopefully snag a 173 on test day even with the traditional decrease, but I don't think it's going to happen, since I've never scored 178+. I guess we'll see. Regardless, I'm happy with this score and will now celebrate by ordering Indian food.
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:42 pm

xylocarp wrote:PT 61

RC -3 (rough)
LR2 -0 (super confused by this one. I felt sluggish the entire time and zoned out quite a bit during this section.)

I'm really excited because this PT finally marks the last of my 171 slump no longer being included in my 5 PT average, which is now 174.6. Still trying to increase that to 176 so I can hopefully snag a 173 on test day even with the traditional decrease, but I don't think it's going to happen, since I've never scored 178+. I guess we'll see. Regardless, I'm happy with this score and will now celebrate by ordering Indian food.
Nice score!
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thought that the RC was tough :)

Also, which LR1s did you miss? I ask because I also missed two in that section?

Edit: Just did the math and my 5 test average is almost the same as yours (174.4). We can do this!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Impromptu TinyChat tonight to discuss plans with one week out?

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:51 pm

random number wrote:
xylocarp wrote:PT 61

RC -3 (rough)

Nice score!
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thought that the RC was tough :)

Also, which LR1s did you miss? I ask because I also missed two in that section?

Edit: Just did the math and my 5 test average is almost the same as yours (174.4). We can do this!
Yeah that last passage was super tough. All of my RC mistakes were legitimate deficiencies in my comprehension of the readings, not stupid or silly or anything.

For LR I missed 16 and 20 but 16 was a misbubble. Which did you miss?
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

cloy26

Bronze

Post by cloy26 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:55 pm

I can't understand SA questions to save my life anymore. I understand what I'm trying to do, but I can't seem to translate the ideas/concepts... It's like my reading comprehension for those questions alone falls back to a fourth grade level.

um... suggestions?

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:59 pm

cloy26 wrote:I can't understand SA questions to save my life anymore. I understand what I'm trying to do, but I can't seem to translate the ideas/concepts... It's like my reading comprehension for those questions alone falls back to a fourth grade level.

um... suggestions?
What is SA?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”